shape
carat
color
clarity

One more time, this or this?

Discussion in 'Antique and Vintage Jewelry' started by StephanieLynn, Aug 4, 2019.

Which Amethyst Ring?

1. Bow style

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. 1900's Ring

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. StephanieLynn
    Ideal_Rock

by StephanieLynn » Aug 4, 2019
    Edited to add a poll

Since I went with the smaller spinel ring I still have some funds for a lavender but in my search I found two amethyst rings I adore, the pictures aren't great unfortunately.

First one is a 14k circa 1900's 1/2 carat amethyst in a filigree setting with one small diamond on each side:

IMG_6015.jpg

IMG_6020.jpg

IMG_6021.jpg

THEN I found this, it is a white gold filigree bow ring, 14k these are hard to find:

IMG_6016.jpg

IMG_6017.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019

2. PreRaphaelite
    Brilliant_Rock

by PreRaphaelite » Aug 4, 2019
    OMG
    How to choose?!?!

For rarity alone, the Bow ring is compelling, as no one else you meet out there in the world will be wearing the same style - wow it’s pretty! Do you think it would be stackable?

I love the other one too... I don’t have anything Edwardian or white gold but if I did I’d wear that one. But it’s a style often replicated. Do you think it’s really old?

You must come tell us what you chose! I’m super excited for you!

3. StephanieLynn
    Ideal_Rock

@PreRaphaelite, I actually owned a bow ring years ago and sold it for literally peanuts, nearly the exact ring except it was aquamarine :wall: So I know I can't stand a band with that one because of how the filigree on the sides kind of goes out but that's okay because it would be a right hand ring.

I know that other ring looks a little too good right? Hard to know if truly old but I'm just buying for the aesthetic there but the cut on the amethyst looks really good so there is that, I know with the bow ring there will be some windowing with those stones.

PreRaphaelite likes this.
  4. LightBright
    Shiny_Rock

by LightBright » Aug 4, 2019
    Bow tie ring is really rare and petty. I wouldn’t worry about windowing as the amethysts were likely cut for the piece and you just want to accept it for what it is. The first piece looks like an original antique plat setting with a newly set stone. For originality and rarity, I’d get the bow tie. Very pretty, both.

5. stracci2000
    Ideal_Rock

by stracci2000 » Aug 4, 2019
    I prefer the round stone. I like the shape of the ring, in general, and the stone is a nice color.
    Of course the bow is unusual, and so sweet! I have a bow stack ring. So I'm no help at all!
    IMG_20190804_110001.jpg

6. Big Fat Facets
    Shiny_Rock

by Big Fat Facets » Aug 4, 2019
    I vote for the bow. Its so whimsical!

7. StephanieLynn
    Ideal_Rock

@LightBright thanks for your thoughts, yeah I love this bow style and the pictures don't do anything to highlight the filigree work.

@stracci2000 I freaking love that stack ring with the little flowers :kiss2:

@Big Fat Facets I do love the bow!

So I picked the bow but here is the thing, it's an EBay auction so they were asking $250 I offered $200 and she countered with $225 which I accepted but she didn't get my acceptance of her counter before she left the store it's in (because of course she has a store :nono:) she left it there. That means it could have gotten sold between then and when the store closed. Now I have paid for it but I don't have a guarantee it's mine until tomorrow!:pray:

So I'll be back tomorrow with yet ANOTHER update.

8. StephanieLynn
    Ideal_Rock

by StephanieLynn » Aug 5, 2019
    Okay guys final update, the (bow) ring it's on the way!

Slick1, PreRaphaelite and stracci2000 like this.
  9. junebug17
    Super_Ideal_Rock

10. StephanieLynn
    Ideal_Rock

junebug17 likes this.

11. StephanieLynn
    Ideal_Rock