shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW OMG GUYS A NEW BABY the baby is a pink spinel

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the worst pictures like EVER but I just got home and have to leave in a sec but still wanted to toss these up so you can seeeeeeee my new baby

2.15 ct mahenge spinel from Prima
6.9 x 10.3 mm

I picked this out of the box and was all "WHOA OMG MASSIVE HONKIN ROCK" and then realized that it only looks massive because I have tiny fingers. THEN I BOUGHT IT and blew my whole gemshow budget on one rock. Worth it.

Since I love Chrono's pink spinel ring so much, I had always thought I'd need at least a 3 carat pear to fulfill my desire to have one almost as awesome (hers is like 5 carats) but I am satisfied with the size of this. Maybe I am really not just a gigantic rock person??? If it was much bigger, I'm not sure how the setting would fit on my finger?? Someone else has a giant pear spinel halo ring too but I always forget who. Anyway those rings are like my number one jewelry bucket list item. So I am totally stoked.

photo3_6.jpg

photo1_6.jpg

photo_208.jpg
With some of its brethren. I didn't unleash them from their prisons, sorry for the reflections.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! I agree it is totally worth it to get one of what you really want. I have a similar but smaller Mahenge pear that I plan on setting too. Eager to see what you do with this beauty! :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, as is the collection of spinals, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You are the Pink Spinel Queen! That's a stunner -- no wonder you flipped for it. The whole collection's just yummmmmy.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
It is wonderful, I love it!! I think the size is great too. I personally think a two carat gem is a really good size for a ring. It's quite large really; large enough to look beautiful and make a statement, but still comfortable enough to wear at any time and not feel out of place. Of course that's IMHO ;-)

Beautiful collection, I love them all.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see the suite of pink spinel jewelry!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice!!! I totally get the pink spinel passion. :bigsmile: I also sold off many of my stones for my Prima spinel, which shall be set this week! Yours will look great in a halo, and it looks to be the perfect size for your finger. :praise:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1401054196|3679904 said:
........THEN I BOUGHT IT and blew my whole gemshow budget on one rock. Worth it.......

I agree! quality, not quantity.......you did very well, indeed! :appl:

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1401202670|3680939 said:
........THEN I BOUGHT IT and blew my whole gemshow budget on one rock. Worth it.......

+1! That is one beautiful stone - gorgeous color, gorgeous cut, awesome size - what more could you ask for? Congrats on such a great find!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, if those are bad photos, I can only imagine how the stone will look with good photos! :cheeky: That looks like a sizeable and lovely stone.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the late replies - right after posting this I went out of town (to Vegas, right BEFORE JCK and the PS meetup... bad timing!), so it kinda slipped my mind.

I'm not quite sure what the "trade ideal" color is for hot pink spinels... but since I keep buying ones THIS EXACT COLOR, it's clear that this is what hits the sweet spot for me. I have one that's more saturated, a few that are lighter, and a few that are a little more sleepy, but this is the color I keep buying.

JewelFreak|1401060162|3679963 said:
You are the Pink Spinel Queen!

I dunno about queen. I could be the Pink Spinel Princess though.

I've been thinking about the setting - at first I was just going to do one basically exactly like Chrono's and Bright Ice's, but I dunnnnno. How many pink spinel halos with pave bands do we need floating around on PS? I DEFINITELY want a halo, and I want a halo with a fancy gallery. Also, try looking for pear halos with fancy galleries. It's not a very fruitful search. I think I want a plain shank, maybe a split shank (pears look so lovely with split shanks), but then I wonder if I want it engraved - and it's hard to find pictures of halos with engraved shanks too. Maybe it would be TOO MUCH to have an engraved shank. I should do some photoshop mockup hackjobs. So I'm pondering the setting. I'll be pondering it for several months - I want to be SURE before I make a decision since this will be an expensive setting. Or more expensive than my DanielM or "bought used off LT" settings, at any rate.

(My backup "oh my god I don't know what to do but I want it set RIGHT NOW" setting has already been decided - it's that Ritani halo, you know the one, like Niel had her pear in. I would be satisfied with it, but I'm aiming a little higher than mere satisfaction. It doesn't have a fancy gallery. There's no gallery at all. That makes me a little uncomfortable, like steps that only have the horizontal part but the vertical part is open and what if I slip and fall THROUGH that part and my leg snaps? It's a concern.)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1401064605|3679997 said:
It is wonderful, I love it!! I think the size is great too. I personally think a two carat gem is a really good size for a ring. It's quite large really; large enough to look beautiful and make a statement, but still comfortable enough to wear at any time and not feel out of place. Of course that's IMHO ;-)

Yeah, it's just I see these gigantic rocks on PS and I WANT them. But I don't think they look good on me or I would actually wear them. Even though they look awesome on other people. I prefer aggressively low-set jewelry, and big rocks get in the way of that. It's sometimes hard for me to come to terms with this, though.

NKOTB|1401074255|3680080 said:
Nice!!! I totally get the pink spinel passion. :bigsmile: I also sold off many of my stones for my Prima spinel, which shall be set this week! Yours will look great in a halo, and it looks to be the perfect size for your finger. :praise:

Yours is sooooooo pretty. And such a great setting!

movie zombie|1401202670|3680939 said:

I'm trying so hard, MZ. SO HARD to be good and save up instead of buying lots of small things. But there's so much out there that is tempting me!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distracts,
There is NOTHING that your spinel will ever look ugly/terrible in so set it however you like. :)) Halo no non-halo, engraved or none, gallery or none.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
+1, Chrono. The incredible hue & saturation make that a BIG stone, no matter its dimensions or setting.

--- Laurie

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
WOW... agreed, if those are the "bad" photos... this baby must be amazing IRL!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Looks pretty massive to me! And such stunning color!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a milestone birthday coming up and was looking for ideas for presents. I had narrowed it down to two when I stumbled across a setting that is going to be PERFECT for this. I have seriously sketched out SO many ideas and discarded them all because I just wasn't finding anything that called to me. But now I have. So when telling my husband about it, we had a bit of a "who's on first" communication issue going on...

Me: "I found the perfect setting for my hot pink spinel pear. I was just browsing around looking for ideas for one of the other stones when BAM! and I was like, I have to have that ring."

Husband: "Rings for the pair?"

Me: "Yeah, a ring for the pear!"

Husband: "You don't want earrings instead?"

Me: "No? Why would I want earrings? I like rings! Rings for the fingers! Fancy phalanges!"

Husband: "DANCING PHALANGES!"

(insert phalanges dance break)
zjxap2k.gif

Husband: "Okay, you're sure you don't want earrings for the pair?"

Me: "Yes. I only have one, how would I do that?"

Husband: "One pair?"

Me: "One pear."

Husband: "One pair of rings."

Me: "What? ... Are you saying pair P-A-I-R?"

Husband: "OH YOU MEAN PEAR SHAPE. THAT MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE."

And that, my friends, is the story of my marriage.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did I miss this lovely? Beautiful color! :love:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Good score, excellent color!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha that was so funny! I am showing my hubby too and can relate!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great story....although I would have stopped when I realized he thought you wanted a pair of rings and gone for two :angel:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1467421071|4050644 said:
Great story....although I would have stopped when I realized he thought you wanted a pair of rings and gone for two :angel:

I would have needed a second hot pink spinel though and I'm sure he would have quickly realized that I was suddenly way over budget. :whistle:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results