shape
carat
color
clarity

OMC vs. OEC vs. RB size-wise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Could anyone tell me how significant in appearance the difference in size is in a stone of the same carat weight in each cut?

I know that OEC and OMC face up smaller, but by how much, typically?

Those with old cuts, are you glad you made that sacrifice?

From what I have researched, it seems I could get a larger older cut stone in my budget, but it may actually end up looking similar to the smaller RB of the same price.

Thoughts?

Many apologies if this has been covered, my search wasn''t very successful.

Thanks!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Old mine cut diamonds are nearly all some sort of cushion shape and because of the method of cutting back then, they tend to be quite deep and pretty small in appearance for their weight. There are exceptions, but they are not common to the cut category.

Old European cuts are not nearly so consistent in this respect. There are deep ones, regular depth ones and shallow ones. This means that their "spread", apparent size, is not something one can generalize about. You can easily know the spread by looking at depth divided by their average diameter. When you are in the 59% to 62% range, you are in the general spread range of nice modern cut rounds. It isn''t a difficult thing to know if you have the most basic of measurements.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Second all the stuff oldminer has said, and I''d like to reiterate that it just depends on the stone. I just bought a 1.15 carat OEC that is very well cut, and it sparkles more and looks bigger, etc., than diamonds of a similar size that I have seen that are MB cut, but not well cut. The table is smaller, of course, but overall it still looks and measures larger on the face.

So, if you look around a lot and see a lot of stones, you''ll find one that looks big for it''s size, is a good value, and is well cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results