shape
carat
color
clarity

Old mine cut surprise

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I bought way too many things this year, lockdown and internet, a dangerous combination. So I didn‘t really want to buy something again, but once in a while I feel bad for a piece of jewellery and end up buying it anyways so it has a new home. This rose gold ring was on a watchlist forever but the photos were so terrible that you could not even really see what the stone was. So I didn’t really give it much thought. The price was so low that when I stumbled over it again recently I just bid for the fun of it. I ended up paying around 180 and if it would not turn out, I‘d still have the 18k gold setting. It arrived quickly and out came a terrible dirty ring with a terrible dirty stone in it (it literally looked grey). I cleaned it and got back this:
7AD90B34-01F7-4428-B601-F7BFC3F3FB4D.jpeg 126A1D9E-820A-4FB6-8BBE-314D991DA397.jpeg
The old mine cut diamond is a bit tinted but very clear and measures a bit under 5mm (as far as I can tell, since the setting covers quite a bit of the stone). What a surprise! It’s my happy sunshine stone from now on!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I love it. Can you share any before shots, eg what it looked like before you cleaned it? Congrats on this find!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a great find!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Isn't that the best part?
Buying something that needs some help and finding out that it is more wonderful than you first thought?
Great job, @Roselina!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Now that is some buttery deliciousness!! Congratulations on a very special surprise!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, glad you took a chance on it, that’s a great ring and a great price.

I actually see people wearing rings with that much grime, talk about gross!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is an amazing transformation! Very very nice, I would not have had the guts to take the risk but clearly you saw the potential. It is beautiful!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unbelievable! That diamond beforehand looked like horribly cheap paste or something, which is maybe what the seller thought. And now.....! Wow!

What a find!

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Unbelievable! That diamond beforehand looked like horribly cheap paste or something, which is maybe what the seller thought. And now.....! Wow!

What a find!

They did say diamond ring. But I agree, I also thought it might be paste or maybe white zircon. It‘s on the smaller side - between 4 an 5 mm but incredibly sparkly and it makes me happy. The setting is a bit weird as it covers quite a bit of the stone but I still kind of like it as it is most certainly original. It‘s stamped 18ct (instead of 18k)... does this indicate where it comes from?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
They did say diamond ring. But I agree, I also thought it might be paste or maybe white zircon. It‘s on the smaller side - between 4 an 5 mm but incredibly sparkly and it makes me happy. The setting is a bit weird as it covers quite a bit of the stone but I still kind of like it as it is most certainly original. It‘s stamped 18ct (instead of 18k)... does this indicate where it comes from?

Yes, 18ct indicates British origin. Are there other marks inside?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy! And yes to rescuing a piece in need. I love that.
I am glad it is making you happy! It is just lovely. :love:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, British. It's lovely. Do you think you'd reset to free up the stone a bit, or not break it up?

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, British. It's lovely. Do you think you'd reset to free up the stone a bit, or not break it up?

I'm not sure. I will certainly wear it as it is for a while and then decide from there. But it is quite a "robust" ring and since I need a diamond for every situation in life (my husband finds this very funny and keeps joking about my "hiking-ring"), I might just use is as it is. :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure. I will certainly wear it as it is for a while and then decide from there. But it is quite a "robust" ring and since I need a diamond for every situation in life (my husband finds this very funny and keeps joking about my "hiking-ring"), I might just use is as it is. :)

It's nice to have a few good solid diamond(or sapphire/ruby) rings that you know are almost indestructible.
No delicate prongs, no fragile stones like emerald or pearl, and no etchings or other details that may get scratched. Wear them with confidence!
You're set if you suddenly need to change a tire!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
"since I need a diamond for every situation in life (my husband finds this very funny and keeps joking about my "hiking-ring"), I might just use is as it is. :)"

Haha, that is so awesome! This never occurred to me, as I have my diamond and travel rings, but now I realize I need some for all the other things I do! Nice:dance:

Kya

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely sparkler! And a steal too!

How did you even know to bid on that?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Nothing brings me greater happiness than a good deal:praise:
That there, is a deal, a sparkly good deal!

ahoward

Rough_Rock

I see several comments saying that the 18ct stamp means that it's British but keep in mind that it could be from any commonwealth country that uses that spelling. My ring is 1880s Australian and is also stamped with ct instead of k.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results