carat
color
clarity

Old Mine Cut diamond advice!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

first time poster! I have been looking for an old mine cut diamond for an engagement ring for myself. I purchased this 1.2carat (6.88mm) stone. It's a VS2, OP color (per the EGL report). I love the shape and don't mind the color at all (I've attached pictures showing it in different lights). It cost under $2,900. I've looked at it with my loupe (at 30x magnification) and noticed it has two small chips or cracks on the girdle. They are not at all visible to the naked eye but can feel them if you run your fingernail around the edge. My instinct is to say I got a good deal but I'm concerned that these chips could become worse later or compromise the stone while it is being set. I plan to have it set in a 6-8 prong 14K gold setting.

I'm also concerned that it's not quite large enough. I "set" it temporarily on a plain gold band because i knew it would look larger once elevated and it does look pretty large in photos but not quite as large in person (I have a size 6 finger). I am looking at a 1.68carat (7.15mm) stone this week and plan to compare the two. The larger stone costs 2/3 more so I'm not sure the uptick in cost will be worth the .27 in mm. It is a also a VS2 but has an I color but like I like the color of the stone I currently have.

I guess I just want to know what you think of this stone, did I get a good deal? If I should post this over in Rocky Talky or want more information please let me know!

Thanks!

P.S. I bought a 1 carat CZ just to see how the size compares. It is pictured in the first photo below alongside the loose diamond and in the close up view a few rows down.

IMG_6774.JPG IMG_0004.jpg IMG_9997.jpg IMG_6769.JPG IMG_6762.JPG IMG_6760.JPG

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

first time poster! I have been looking for an old mine cut diamond for an engagement ring for myself. I purchased this 1.2carat (6.88mm) stone. It's a VS2, OP color (per the EGL report). I love the shape and don't mind the color at all (I've attached pictures showing it in different lights). It cost under $2,900. I've looked at it with my loupe (at 30x magnification) and noticed it has two small chips or cracks on the girdle. They are not at all visible to the naked eye but can feel them if you run your fingernail around the edge. My instinct is to say I got a good deal but I'm concerned that these chips could become worse later or compromise the stone while it is being set. I plan to have it set in a 6-8 prong 14K gold setting.

I'm also concerned that it's not quite large enough. I "set" it temporarily on a plain gold band because i knew it would look larger once elevated and it does look pretty large in photos but not quite as large in person (I have a size 6 finger). I am looking at a 1.68carat (7.15mm) stone this week and plan to compare the two. The larger stone costs 2/3 more so I'm not sure the uptick in cost will be worth the .27 in mm. It is a also a VS2 but has an I color but like I like the color of the stone I currently have.

I guess I just want to know what you think of this stone, did I get a good deal? If I should post this over in Rocky Talky or want more information please let me know!

Thanks!

I think that stone looks nice :)

What is the return period on it?

If you have time, I would send it to an independent appraiser to ascertain if the wear-and-tear its experienced will compromise the integrity of the stone at all.

@oldminer and @denverappraiser are both good options if you want to go down this route :)

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have until October 31st to return it. I do think having it appraised is a good idea at this point, thank you for the advice @OoohShiny.

I will look into having @oldminer or @denverappraiser take a look!

Thank you!

I think that stone looks nice :)

What is the return period on it?

If you have time, I would send it to an independent appraiser to ascertain if the wear-and-tear its experienced will compromise the integrity of the stone at all.

@oldminer and @denverappraiser are both good options if you want to go down this route :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will look into having @oldminer or @denverappraiser take a look!
There are no personal messages on this board but I believe that both have their contact details either within their signatures or within their profile pages - search out their posts and if the info is not in the former, click on their names to get to the latter :)

You could probably even get it appraised by GIA in that timeframe, although you would have to request not to have it laser-engraved with the grading report number!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results