shape
carat
color
clarity

Old mine cushion opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lily1120

Shiny_Rock
HI Everyone,

I would REALLY appreciate some help in my quest to find our perfect diamond : ). I''m a newbie and this my first post. I''d like some opinions on this pretty little 100 year old old mine cushion. I just want to see what you guys think of it and whether or not it seems like a good deal- i''ll get it for about 3,700 . I''m a little concerned that it will face up a bit small for the weight, i really wanted to get a size of about 1.3 and since this is already smaller than that i would at least like it to look like a real 1.17 or 1.2 not like a 1 carat. I really like it otherwise and i have read and heard that it''s just so hard to find truly beautiful and affordable old miners in perfect conditions... What do you think from looking at the photos and details?

WEIGHT: 1.17ct
SHAPE: Old Mine Brilliant
COLOR: L
CLARITY: SI1
MEASUREMENTS: 6.13 x 5.99 x 4.41 mm
TOTAL DEPTH: 73.6%
TABLE SIZE: 50%
POLISH: G
SYMMETRY: F
FLUORESCENCE: MEDIUM BLUE
GIA REPORT #: 1102572905

lily1120

Shiny_Rock
pic #1!

1120.jpg

lily1120

Shiny_Rock

1121.jpg

lily1120

Shiny_Rock
last but not least!

11220.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
It looks very, very pretty!! However, as you said, it is quite deep and faces up pretty small for 1.2 ct. I think, considering the face up size, the price would be a little high for me.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
First of all that is a gorgeous stone in the pictures. Have you seen it in person? If you haven''t it would be a good idea to do so to make sure you are ok with the L color. I personally love low color stones, but you should see it in person to determine if you like them yourself if you are not already sure.

As for the facing up issue, old mines are very deep stones with high crowns and small tables. I adore them (and am on the hunt for one myself currently) but they do face up considerably smaller than round brilliants in most cases. If you''d like to be able to determine how it will face up, you may want to ask for the MM size and the measurements so you can judge by those numbers. You might also want to ask the jeweler how it would face up in terms of carat weight if it were a round brilliant (i.e, as a 1.0 or smaller etc). My jeweler would tell me this as well b/c I am also concerned about the face up.

In the end, if you love it, I say get it.

lily1120

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the responses : ). I haven''t seen it in person yet but i have an appt this week. I am actually so color blind when it comes to diamonds i feel it''s a blessing! lol. I actually really dont like white stones they are just so cold! i''m an l,k,m even n and o lover so i''m not worried about the color. Thanks for the tip on asking how it would face up compared to a RB im using that on the phone tomorrow ; ) -

lily1120

Shiny_Rock
bigdiamondtinygal i love your name! haha- what do you think of the price for it?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I have a .80 round brilliant that is about the same diameter, 6.0mm.

Almost all old cuts face up much smaller than modern brilliants. It just goes with the territory. For an antique cushion or old mine cut to look the equivalent of a 1 ct. modern diamond, it should be 6.40 to 6.50mm in diameter.

lily1120

Shiny_Rock
does anyone know if there is already a thread of old mine cushions on people''s hands? i really want to see some pics of what a 1 carat old mine looks on a sz 4 or 5 finger...

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lily - pretty stone but yes, I agree, you'd be paying for a lot of extra weight that you wouldn't see. I have an old stone myself (Old European Transitional - so a bit more modern than yours but still has the chunky facets) but it was cut a bit on the shallow side. Mine is 1.08 carats but faces up equal to around a modern 1.15 carat stone (it's about 6.65 mm by about 6.45 mm. I fiddled around with a bunch of on-line diamond stores to figure out what size that would be in a round brilliant and found out it's around a 1.15).

The mine cuts are quite old so they will mostly be cut very deep (they followed the shape of the natural rough). If you want to have chunky facets and an old stone, perhaps look for an Old European Cut or Transitional cut (like mine). They started cutting them differently and it wasn't all about saving the weight (and the cuts improved as the skills and tools improved as well. I'm reading a book on it right now :). If you look you can find one that has almost the same proportions as modern stones but with chunky facets (which is what most people love about the old stones, right?) They ARE out there.......

Did you check out Old World Diamonds as well? Lots of stock.... lots of photos.....

- Jodie -

lily1120

Shiny_Rock
Jodie i love your post, it really put things into perpective for me. I did actually just find Old World and right off the bat he told me he has quite a few stones to show us in our specifications. Is this whaere you got your stone? Where else could i find transitional or the other cut you mentioned?

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Well I actually kind of stumbled across the stone on this forum. A member on here had bought a ring for the setting itself, and had the stone for sale at her antique market. It was kind of a fluke (she wasn't trying to sell it on here at all either - it just happened that I checked out her antique store and saw it for sale on there).

I had contacted Old World Diamonds originally when I was looking for a cushion too but had only seen a few, then went with a modern cushion that fell through (long story). Then found my final stone. If we hadn't gone with my stone, I would have gone back to OWD and asked about OEC's I think (I'm embarassed to say this now but I think it's kind of funny....... when I was looking on their website I thought "they don't have any Old European Cuts larger than like, half a carat - that's so WEIRD!" I wasn't SCROLLING forward on my search! It was only showing the first 4 pages or something and they had literally 18 or 20 pages of OEC's that I wasn't seeing. LOL.

I'm sure there would be transitionals in the OEC's if you are interested (just like there are mine cuts with the cushions etc etc). My transitional just means that the facet pattern on the top is more modern in angles than the facet pattern on the bottom so it's kind of like the bottom is old style and the top is new style.

I keep saying I have to post photos of my finished ring (I've had it for a few weeks now) Maybe I'll do that tonight.......

- Jodie -

lily1120

Shiny_Rock
do it! do it! i cant wait to see your ring ; )!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I L
30.gif
VE OMCs... and having worked with the vendor before, this one happens to be in my wishlist. Too bad my budget does not allow for it. Yes, OMCs will always face up smaller than RBs tho this one is actually more cushion-y than it is round. $3700 for a 1.17 L/SI1 OMC? Seems pretty fair to me. And personally I think K,L,M colors suit the personality of such older cuts. A lovely find!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results