carat
color
clarity

Old Indian necklace...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
609D12D9-F277-49B3-AEA0-3AF94895DDF4.jpeg
Around this past Christmas, I bought this old, Indian necklace with ruby, emerald and pearl beads. I believe the metal is in silver. I had been eyeing it every time I visited a jewelry store and it never sold, so I started to feel that it may be it needed to be worn and enjoyed again. Having a love for gem beads in general, I loved the colors together, and how joyful and also humble it is as the gems are beautiful and full of “flaws”. I really can appreciate a beauty with imperfections. I’ve looked online to get a sense of age, and I see this style is made today as well as many decades ago, maybe even centuries ago? It seems indeed old based on how the beads are carved and polished, in a more crude, hand worked manner. They are like gems one might find after a long time tumbled in a river. I also candled the pearls in case they are natural, (having seen some naturals that are conjoined) but I just can’t tell. I’m guessing most likely not because what are the chances?

Just wondering if anyone happens to know about Indian jewelry and can tell me more. That would be much appreciated. I really enjoy wearing it as a fun piece to work ( great with a blouse) and with more ethnic clothes. and it seems to have a lovely ‘energy’ to it.

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regardless of it's age, it's just so lovely & tactile looking! Those pearls look to me as though they definitely could be natural, but I'm not a pearl expert (I own only one!) so maybe pop it in the pearls forum & get some close up shots & opinions?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't offer any more info than you already have, but it is gorgeous!
You must wear it with a colorful sari!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regardless of it's age, it's just so lovely & tactile looking! Those pearls look to me as though they definitely could be natural, but I'm not a pearl expert (I own only one!) so maybe pop it in the pearls forum & get some close up shots & opinions?
Thank you! You are right, tactile describes it. I’ve been thinking about popping over to that forum to ask.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't offer any more info than you already have, but it is gorgeous!
You must wear it with a colorful sari!
Thanks, @stracci2000 ! I don’t have a Sari, but I’ve got an Indian skirt and a black Mexican dress with colorful embroidery, which it goes well with. I do love Saris though. Aren’t they just stunning?
I just wonder if there is a way to tell age by beads, style, etc as I know nothing about Indian jewelry except that I love it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love Saris though. Aren’t they just stunning?
Yes, they are so beautiful. I do have a modest one, and I had to watch Youtube videos to learn how to wear it!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, they are so beautiful. I do have a modest one, and I had to watch Youtube videos to learn how to wear it!
That’s hilarious! I remember My mother had an Indian friend who tried to teach me how to put one one when I was a girl. I really concentrated but still got confused. Now I’d be totally lost.

mina78

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to say that the green stones might be aventurine, which is colloquially known as 'Indian Jade'.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say that the green stones might be aventurine, which is colloquially known as 'Indian Jade'.
Thanks for the heads up, but they are definitely emeralds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results