shape
carat
color
clarity

Old European Diamond Purchase Help!

DanniiD

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I require a bit of expert advice on evaluating whether this stone is worth purchasing.....?
I would love an OEC for my engagement ring and the size sits great on my finger.
Is it worth the $8700 price tag? I have no idea, I think its a good deal but not sure if I'm being ripped off?
Stones with similar specs seems to be much more expensive, so I'm wondering what is wrong with it, other than the low colour grade?

Visually it looks good to me and performs well but I have no idea really!
Video Link:**no outside video links please**
GIA Link: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6173786494
There isn't a cut grade, should this concern me?

Any information would be of help!
SPECS: GIA Graded
8.21 - 8.34 x 5.05 mm
2.14 carat / VS1
colour: O-P
polish: good
symmetry: fair

A52507.jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 12.46.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 12.46.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 12.43.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 12.43.34 PM.png

I would like to get it set like this:
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.03.58 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps, use Jewels by Grace listings for OEC’s for comparison:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/diamonds/2-01-to-3-00

My examined OEC has not been graded, but it was estimated by my jeweler to date back to the late 1800’s.
It’s approx. 0.75ct, G-I Color, I1-SI2 clarity, with VG symmetry. Estimated value was $2,500-$3,000 just for the stone. There were obvious abrasions along the girdle, as well. When I had it reset, I set it in a 6 prong Head as the center stone of a 3 stone semi-mount to protect it.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the price seems fair for this stone. OECs won’t have a cut grade on the cert. It is a nice clean stone with very nice proportions. Did you look at it in various lighting conditions? What did you think? Do you like it’s facet pattern and body color? If so, then I think it’s a nice stone for the money.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest Old World Diamonds for a comparison.. but I see this diamond is from there so that comparison won't help :mrgreen2: Adam is considered one of the better priced old cut vendors and obviously has a huge range. I don't think you're being ripped off.
I had a look at your video but it was difficult to see a lot of detail. What is the return period like - could you buy it and see how you like it at home/under different lighting conditions? (or do you already have it at home?)
I think it's a nice patterned stone and beautifully clear. The main driver for the low cost will probably be the low colour grade. If you're happy with a stone that won't be white white (and I think this one looks to have a nice warm tone to the body colour), then I think it's very good value for money.
With the setting, will you be putting it in a white metal head? or playing up the body colour with a coloured head?

Last edited:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Having looked at a ton of OEC stones in that general size and color I would say that’s a fair price If the stone looks pretty to you, a little lower priced to me than some of the more known OEC vendors might have it, but then you are paying for their eye on the stone purchase. So if you like it seems worth considering for that price.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Diamond is too shallow to be good old cut stone.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
I personally purchased my first OEC from Adam and I absolutely adore him. From what I can tell, Adam is a fair and honest broker, not to mention a very nice human being.

I had a bit of a dilemma when I first contacted Adam 'cause I rather hastily purchased a setting (that ultimately didn't work for me) requiring an 8mm or larger OEC, which translates into a rather large 2.0+ carat diamond. Horrified when I discovered what the cost of a diamond for this setting might be, I was able to confide this in Adam and not once did I feel demeaned or intimated by him. Adam worked tirelessly with me and procured a beautiful diamond for under $10,000, an OEC 8.44 mm x 8.32 mm, 2.43 ct, Q-R, VS1.

Fast forward a bit and I purchased a different OEC from a local broker (for a variety of reasons...mostly due to juggling funds) for a custom setting and it is beyond beautiful, as well. My new OEC 7.90 mm x 7.88 mm is a 1.91 ct, I, VS1 with a perfect floral pattern, great symmetry, beautiful color and sparkle. We paid about $9900 for this second OEC diamond.

I am not by any means an expert on diamonds but I think you are getting a very fair price on this diamond. I do not think you can go wrong with Old World Diamonds and Adam. I think the diamond is beautiful. I love the color!

Last edited:

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Oh...I just remembered one other thing. Meant to tell you I love the setting you are considering. Please just keep an open mind about settings because the color grade of your stone will show some color...a hint of very light yellow, or copper, or gold. While the 2.43 Q-R OEC was way too much diamond for my comfort, as I "downsized" from a halo to a custom platinum & diamond solitaire setting, I realized the stone size and color absolutely didn't work in my new setting. Size sensitivity and color are the two main reasons the 2.43 went back into the original halo setting. DH and I bought the 1.91 OEC which made my custom setting work. The 2.43 was the absolute wrong stone for my new custom setting.

As an aside, the entire situation was so stressful for me, I've never shown or flaunted my custom product. To this day, I STILL have mixed feelings when I wear the custom setting. Honestly, the 1.91 OEC is the saving grace 'cause it is so pretty, it can shine in almost any setting (I think). But I may still reset the 1.91 at some point in time.

I like your setting choice a lot. I think the yellow and white gold (or yellow and platinum) will work with a stone with color. It's all preference.

I'll try linking my Q-R here, which is on consignment with Love Affair Diamonds. It will give you an idea of white a stone of similar color as the one you're considering will look like in a platinum and yellow gold setting...I think the diamond is gorgeous in the Casablanca:
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/2...t-diamond-in-cvb-casablanca-halo-gia-q-r-vs1/

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'll try linking my Q-R here, which is on consignment with Love Affair Diamonds. It will give you an idea of white a stone of similar color as the one you're considering will look like in a platinum and yellow gold setting...I think the diamond is gorgeous in the Casablanca:
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/2...t-diamond-in-cvb-casablanca-halo-gia-q-r-vs1/
@tlfiore , I would recommend YOUR diamond to @DanniiD because your diamond has nice, substantial depth of 65% and this leads to better light return.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh...I just remembered one other thing. Meant to tell you I love the setting you are considering. Please just keep an open mind about settings because the color grade of your stone will show some color...a hint of very light yellow, or copper, or gold. While the 2.43 Q-R OEC was way too much diamond for my comfort, as I "downsized" from a halo to a custom platinum & diamond solitaire setting, I realized the stone size and color absolutely didn't work in my new setting. Size sensitivity and color are the two main reasons the 2.43 went back into the original halo setting. DH and I bought the 1.91 OEC which made my custom setting work. The 2.43 was the absolute wrong stone for my new custom setting.

As an aside, the entire situation was so stressful for me, I've never shown or flaunted my custom product. To this day, I STILL have mixed feelings when I wear the custom setting. Honestly, the 1.91 OEC is the saving grace 'cause it is so pretty, it can shine in almost any setting (I think). But I may still reset the 1.91 at some point in time.

I like your setting choice a lot. I think the yellow and white gold (or yellow and platinum) will work with a stone with color. It's all preference.

(slight threadjack)
@tlfiore I remember seeing images of your beautiful custom setting and also reading about all the frustration you went through in the process. I totally understand having had a hard time with getting a setting made also and I have mixed feelings when I wear it that are hard to explain to others who just see the end result. I hope you get to a place where you can just enjoy the ring without all of the extra stuff that came along with it (I'm trying to get there too!).
:wavey:

DanniiD

Rough_Rock
I think the price seems fair for this stone. OECs won’t have a cut grade on the cert. It is a nice clean stone with very nice proportions. Did you look at it in various lighting conditions? What did you think? Do you like it’s facet pattern and body colour? If so, then I think it’s a nice stone for the money.

I really liked the facet pattern & the yellow tone didn't bother me. Visually I think its beautiful stone and I do realise, when it comes down to older cuts is more visual & personal preference but looked lovely in the sun and in the dull office lighting. I just want to know if there were any major flaws/warning signs to stay away from the stone.

DanniiD

Rough_Rock
I was going to suggest Old World Diamonds for a comparison.. but I see this diamond is from there so that comparison won't help :mrgreen2: Adam is considered one of the better priced old cut vendors and obviously has a huge range. I don't think you're being ripped off.

With the setting, will you be putting it in a white metal head? or playing up the body colour with a coloured head?

Adam was so lovely & easy to deal with.
In regards to the setting, i would have a rose gold band and a platinum head & prongs.
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.03.58 PM.png old_miners_Turned.jpg 20987542_2008148176082918_2526131490983510016_n.jpg

DanniiD

Rough_Rock

Wow the Casablanca setting is stunning, I have never seen that before - such a beautiful piece, a shame you're selling it! I would still love to see your 1.91 thou, I like your taste :)

Who created the Casablanca setting out of interest?

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@tlfiore , I would recommend YOUR diamond to @DanniiD because your diamond has nice, substantial depth of 65% and this leads to better light return.

Sorry, too if this is a hijack but yes...the 2.43 is a beautiful diamond, which is why I tried making it work in my new setting. Thank you! And I guess this isn't a total hijack 'cause I think Adam offers some nice pieces!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Wow the Casablanca setting is stunning, I have never seen that before - such a beautiful piece, a shame you're selling it! I would still love to see your 1.91 thou, I like your taste :)

Who created the Casablanca setting out of interest?

@DanniiD oh you are so kind! Thank you! Well, the Casablanca is a gorgeous design by Caysie, the owner and creator of CvB Inspired Designs. Gotta say the Casablanca is probably one of my favorite settings of all time...just not as big as the one I purchased.

My custom ring was also designed and created by Caysie and her team. Let me see if I can find and throw in a quick pick. I really have NEVER taken any great hand shots based on what I wrote up-thread. My custom setting is lovely. It's a replica of an Art Nouveau design I fell in love with and Caysie work is pristine and impeccable...it really is:

OEC.5.jpg
Here's a great shot of the custom setting and my 1.91 OEC I/VS1

OEC.4.jpg
Here's another shot...ugggh embarrassed of my arthritic fingers...pardon the stray hair (gross)

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@DanniiD I found some "old" glamour shots of my custom ring sent to me by Caysie. However, this is when the 2.43 OEC was in the setting. For me, the diamond was set way too high in the setting, the diamond was too big for my comfort and the 2.43 had too much color for my platinum setting and the E-F diamonds (including beautiful French Cuts) on the shoulders:

CvB Basket Profile Lyre.jpg
Original diamond in custom setting

@DanniiD and to just give you a little perspective on color, I'll try posting two pics that will show you the contrast of an OEC with I color versus an OEC with Q-R color in a platinum setting with very clear and colorless accent diamonds...to me, the color makes a huge difference. Both diamonds are GIA evaluated and certified:

CvB Finished Lyre.JPG OEC.1.jpg
Original OEC, 2.43, Q-R, VS1 8.44 mm x 8.32 mm (pic on left w/ bigger diamond/platinum eternity band)
Second OEC, 1.91, I, VS1 7.96 mm x 7.81 mm (pic on right w/locally purchased 1922 platinum band)
Can you see the color differences???

Last edited:

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@DanniiD I found some "old" glamour shots of my custom ring sent to me by Caysie. However, this is when the 2.43 OEC was in the setting. For me, the diamond was set way too high in the setting, the diamond was too big for my comfort and the 2.43 had too much color for my platinum setting and the E-F diamonds (including beautiful French Cuts) on the shoulders:

CvB Basket Profile Lyre.jpg
Original diamond in custom setting

@DanniiD and to just give you a little perspective on color, I'll try posting two pics that will show you the contrast of an OEC with I color versus an OEC with Q-R color in a platinum setting with very clear and colorless accent diamonds...to me, the color makes a huge difference. Both diamonds are GIA evaluated and certified:

CvB Finished Lyre.JPG OEC.1.jpg
Original OEC, 2.43, Q-R, VS1 8.44 mm x 8.32 mm (pic on left w/ bigger diamond/platinum eternity band)
Second OEC, 1.91, I, VS1 7.96 mm x 7.81 mm (pic on right w/locally purchased 1922 platinum band)
Can you see the color differences???

@tlfiore - and so this is how we are to be shown the bling????

Sniffs

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tlfiore LOVE the I in your gorgeous setting :love: it looks like it was made for it! I hope you smile when you look at it cos it is beautiful (and I know you’re self conscious about your hands but they are lovely too - and we all have hairy knuckles in macro shots :lol-2:)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam was so lovely & easy to deal with.
In regards to the setting, i would have a rose gold band and a platinum head & prongs.
old_miners_Turned.jpg
Is Adam making the setting too? It’s really pretty! I love the triwire shank and petal shoulders. Can’t wait to see when it’s done - you’ll come back and show us right?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DanniiD

Rough_Rock
Is Adam making the setting too? It’s really pretty! I love the triwire shank and petal shoulders. Can’t wait to see when it’s done - you’ll come back and show us right?

I have chosen to get it made at the RingConcierge, as its one of their Signature styles.
I will share once it's complete.
:appl:

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
Oh, this reminds me of the questions I had when I was looking for mine.
Specs wise it is a great. Good spread for the size, only inclusions are girdle extra facets and a teeny feather. Polish Ok and symmetry so so ( imo but I have a pet peeve about synnetry, and old cut OECs are very haed to get in a VG symmetry or better).
I think the price for the weight, spread, clarit and color is good to great. It is "cheaper" because it is an O color.
If you are not color sensitive or better, really love lower color OECs, it is fine (mine is a AGS N and I loooooove it, I am color sensitive but I highly prefer low color OECs).
The price seems good for this diamond. The lower price is totally due to color. ( Rap pricing is base don weight then color then clarity , color really make a huge difference in price ).

Now , the more important question: do you love the diamond? does it make you giddy/happy? do you like how it looks?
Do you like it even when you tell yourself it is $8700?
Will you be comfortable with this size, this color and symmetry?
How do you like the pattern on it?
The video is nice but to judge it better I woud like to see a closer up one.
Good luck and relax.

DanniiD

Rough_Rock
@DanniiD
@DanniiD and to just give you a little perspective on color, I'll try posting two pics that will show you the contrast of an OEC with I color versus an OEC with Q-R color in a platinum setting with very clear and colorless accent diamonds... Can you see the color differences???

You can definitely see the colour difference!
Your updated ring with the 1.91 OEC is so beautiful it really shows off the stone.
And on a side note your hands are just fine :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results