shape
carat
color
clarity

old european cut vs. round briliant

d5c5b

Rough_Rock
can someone shed light on how one would asses an old european cut stone? Do I understand it correctly that the HCA tool would be specific to round brilliant considering most european cut stones are deeper and have smaller tables? thanks in advance- d5c5b

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the HCA is only for modern round brilliants.

For OEC's, you have to go by appearance. There are plenty of OEC experts around here! If you want suggestions of good ones, people can post some for you.

Do you know if she likes antique style rings and diamonds? I think they are incredible and I have a newly cut OEC myself.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
d5c5b|1469657658|4060008 said:
can someone shed light on how one would asses an old european cut stone? Do I understand it correctly that the HCA tool would be specific to round brilliant considering most european cut stones are deeper and have smaller tables? thanks in advance- d5c5b

Many people simply realize they have a preference for a particular 'look' of OEC's. Don't rush the process, become familiar with the looks that you like, and you will likely start to notice characteristics (table size to depth percentage relationships etc...) that intrigue you. Nothing will be a substitute, however, for simply seeing the diamond.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are now new Old cuts which have been cut for optimum light performance, or there are genuine old cuts which are best assessed with your eyes and if you are unsure post good clear photos on here (without where the stone are being sold to prevent lurkers buying them). We can also use numbers in some old cuts as a rough guide as well. The HCA only works with RBs, not old cuts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results