shape
carat
color
clarity

Old European Cut Diamond Advice

ajn009

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

First post here, but I'm looking for an OEC for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I've met with a designer who I really like, and I did like one of the diamonds they had available; however, it was my first OEC that I've seen in person, so I'm looking for thoughts on the stone. It's a GIA graded 1.87 K VVS2 . I'm also going up to New York on Friday to meet with Adam at OWD, so I'll likely have some more options to look at later this week. Sorry the picture/video quality isn't ideal, and thanks!

Videos:
Video #1
Video #2

IMG_20200114_150039.jpg IMG_20200114_150101.jpg IMG_20200114_150244.jpg

Attachments

• Scanned_20200114-1509.pdf
    723.9 KB · Views: 52

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not loving this option. I don't think the cut proportions are very good and it will suffer from darkness under the table (can see it in second video). There is no single set of perfect proportions for an old cut, but the problem with this particular diamond is that it is too shallow and the table too large to work with the short pavilion mains. The depth/table could work with longer pavilion mains, or those short mains could work with a much smaller table and/or depth, but the combo of shallow/large table and short pavilion mains leads to a lazy central area prone to obstruction. So I'd pass on this stone, personally.

ajn009

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I'll post some new options (hopefully!) after I meet with Adam on Friday. If anyone has suggestions for OECs over 1.7 with an K-L color or better under $11k or so (other than from OWD), I'm all ears!

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I'll post some new options (hopefully!) after I meet with Adam on Friday. If anyone has suggestions for OECs over 1.7 with an K-L color or better under $11k or so (other than from OWD), I'm all ears!

LAD had this one listed on LT for 10,950

lynahs1295

Shiny_Rock
adam will show you great stuff....he has lots of stuff that is not on his site and will be brutally honest about the stones you are looking at versus what you want....he is great! have fun! :)

ajn009

Rough_Rock
I met with Adam on Friday, and he, as mentioned, was really great.

There are two that I really liked-- video here, and GIA's attached.

I did find out that there's a OEC in my family that may be available (so I am considering that), but if I do decide to buy, I think it's really between the larger of these two and the LAD diamond that txborn79 posted above. They're the same price, though the LAD one is a decent bit larger. I'd love to hear any thoughts that people have!

Attachments

• 5202151831.pdf
    994 KB · Views: 60
  • 2171296458 (1).pdf
    658.8 KB · Views: 62

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think all three stones you are now considering are better than the first, and all three seem to be very similar in make. All three suffer a little from the common curse of this make of diamond, which is a bit of laziness in the central facets -- so under the table area, the mains tend to go dark in groups, leading to some darkness there. It is possible to find cuts of this style that don't do that, but it's very hard. Of the two OWD stones, I think the smaller one on the right in the video is a little better cut. To my eye, the central facets are more lively, less "sleepy". The LAD diamond is filmed in different lighting so its hard to compare between them and the OWD stone, but on its own the LAD diamond looks very nice! If it is bigger than the smaller of the OWD stones, I"d probably go with it. At least, that's the one I Would want to see in person.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your factor in choosing the left one over the right one in the video?

ajn009

Rough_Rock
What is your factor in choosing the left one over the right one in the video?

The two things that stood out to me in person were the smaller table and just the way that it caught the light.

lkl0109

Rough_Rock
Have you considered a diamond from August Vintage?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The OWD video is difficult because It seems the larger one is moving differently than the other, therefore it’s reflecting the environmental light differently. Or did that happen irl as well?
I like the larger ones perimeter facet pattern better ( even with the couple lazy center facets @dreamer_dachsie pointed out) than the smaller one, enough to pick the larger stone over the smaller one. But that’s me and just my goofy opinion/taste. Dreamers probably right about the cut being better on the smaller one. She’s been doing this for much longer and has seen much more than I.
Was the smaller one eye clean to you IRL, with its inclusions under the table ? If that matters?
Was the larger one with its inclusions at the girdle an issue?
Was either of these having a very/extremely thin girdle an issue with your setting choice?

The LAD pics/videos are (as dreamer has stated) hard to compare because theyre done differently. But - once again on facet pattern alone - I like the perimeter pattern but that center pattern ( white it seems to go on/off beautifully) isn’t my favorite and everything else it’s got going for it on paper and the issues it doesn’t seem to have that the others might ( and yeah it’s larger!), not sure I’d put it on the top of my list. I wouldn’t be happy with that center long run.

ajn009

Rough_Rock
Have you considered a diamond from August Vintage?

Part of the appeal of OECs to my girlfriend is the age and the fact that they're essentially recycled, so I don't think things like August Vintage or Victor Canera's OEC-style cuts would be what she's looking for.

lkl0109

Rough_Rock
Part of the appeal of OECs to my girlfriend is the age and the fact that they're essentially recycled, so I don't think things like August Vintage or Victor Canera's OEC-style cuts would be what she's looking for.

Ah that’s understandable. I hope you find the perfect OEC for her! I like the 1.90 J. I’ve been eyeing it for a while but decided against it because it was over my budget.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I missed that you saw the OWD diamonds in person. I assume you also got to see some other old cuts during your visit or have seen others elsewhere? If you feel like you have seen enough old cuts to know what you like and what is possible, then trust your eyes!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Reach out to Alex park- Parksfinegroup on instagram. In my opinion, he has the best eye right now for OEC's and he offers the lowest price. He can be brusque, so have your ducks in a row- give him your price point, carat range, and K-L color is right in his wheelhouse.

I'm surprised no one has recommended him yet.....

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the left hand stone in the comparison video IF size wasn’t most important. It shows a bit of leakage around the perimeter but not too much, and I like the centre- it shows the most interesting, flowery pattern which many love in oecs.

I would pass on the right hand stone.

The LAD stone is also beautiful. And big! If you love it it could be a winner.

But if the centre of the stone you pick bugs you now, it will only get worse lol.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the two OWD stones for sure I like the left one more. The center facets are more visible to me, a little more organized, and to me the diamond is brighter and bigger. But again with OECs, you should go with what moves you. My reactions to OECs are very instinctual, but it also helps that I’ve seen a lot of them. Good luck!!

ajn009

Rough_Rock
Reach out to Alex park- Parksfinegroup on instagram. In my opinion, he has the best eye right now for OEC's and he offers the lowest price. He can be brusque, so have your ducks in a row- give him your price point, carat range, and K-L color is right in his wheelhouse.

I'm surprised no one has recommended him yet.....

I actually tried Alex, and he doesn't have anything in that range at the moment.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I actually tried Alex, and he doesn't have anything in that range at the moment.

Sorry to hear Alex doesn’t have any at the moment. Agree, his eye is dialed in right now and his prices are as sharp as anyone’s. He found my OMC.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results