shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Diamond Cut Help

tbeckm3

Rough_Rock
IMAG1352.jpg IMAG1361.jpg IMAG1363.jpg IMAG1358.jpg Hello, I bought this ring years ago when I fell in love with it. I have tried to find the diamond cut but I must be a slow learner (lol) because I still cant figure it out. Can anybody help? I know nothing about it but I think it is set in silver. The diamond also tests as real with a diamond tester pen. Thank you all for your help.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pictures are not quite in focus so it is difficult to see the stone in question.

Is it clean? It looks very grey / not sparkly from the pictures.

tbeckm3

Rough_Rock
It is not very clean nor does it sparkle. I am hesitant to clean it myself because I am unsure what the metal wrapped around the bottom of the diamond is

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not very clean nor does it sparkle. I am hesitant to clean it myself because I am unsure what the metal wrapped around the bottom of the diamond is
you should be fine to clean it with hot water, dish soap and a toothbrush regardless of what the metal is. That’s gentle and also one of the more effective ways to clean diamonds. Just be sure to rinse very well

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
I have always heard that you can't get foil backed diamonds wet? Because the foil can oxidize and cause black spots.

But you can probably clean the rest of the ring very carefully and avoid getting the diamond and foil wet.

Sorry I can't be of more help regarding the diamond cut. It looks like the diamond has pretty poor clarity, so it is difficult to see the faceting pattern. Do you perhaps have a close up photo of just the stone to help with the ID? (But I think Jpie is on to something with the polki!)

Last edited:

tbeckm3

Rough_Rock
Thank you! To me it looks like a polki (never heard of that cut before) I will try to clean it better but my phone camera is not very good. Thank you all for your help!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always heard that you can't get foil backed diamonds wet? Because the foil can oxidize and cause black spots.

But you can probably clean the rest of the ring very carefully and avoid getting the diamond and foil wet.

Sorry I can't be of more help regarding the diamond cut. It looks like the diamond has pretty poor clarity, so it is difficult to see the faceting pattern. Do you perhaps have a close up photo of just the stone to help with the ID? (But I think Jpie is on to something with the polki!)
Oh! good catch - serves me right for not looking closely enough on the phone. Hmm, yes the metal backing will make cleaning a challenge. A jeweller may be able to help with a steam cleaner though?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s more than likely Indian. Though there is a possibility it is Georgian as back in that era they foil backed diamonds and used silver for settings (way before white gold and platinium were in use). There are antique versions and modern reproductions of the style, They do a lot of jewellery in that style. The diamonds are almost rose cut and foil backed. They are usually lower clarity and colour diamonds. The foil back is often silver.
They tend to use mostly silver and will often “gold plate” for the yellow gold sections.
You can use a polish cloth on the metal and a cleaner with toothbrush on the gems, not too wet, don’t soak. I don’t think Steam cleaning will be of much benefit.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The white metal backing should act like the plating on the back of a mirror, making diamonds look like water drops - if the stones are fine enough - eg. WWW (rough or slightly worked). I am a fan.

If the diamond is clean, then it must be that the backing is tarnished and the setting needs serious intervention to open the bezel & redo the backing.

2c

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results