shape
carat
color
clarity

Old cut studs- Shopping Help

collier

Shiny_Rock
Soooooooooo

Hubby, totally out of the blue, asked me if he were to surprise me with upgrade stud earrings what would I swoon over.

a. This is totally unlike him
i. he never surprises me
ii. he is much more likely to buy me a watch (ahem, 8)
iii. he is partial to bracelets if anything

b. I have a pair of 1.88 tcw mrb studs that I wear every day
i. any upgrade would be worn daily
ii. he said roughly 2.5 tcw but wants it to be an upgrade

I found pretty much exactly what I would like, old cut studs in a collet setting at Lang, but they pricey. https://www.langantiques.com/antique-bezel-set-diamond-stud-earrings-3-53-carats-total.html

Missy's new studs with their beautiful prongs are of course inspiration in themselves.

Anyone up for a search?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky you! Are you open to a pair of loose stones? Preference on old cut style? The Lang pair are bezel set. Do you prefer bezel or collet setting?

collier

Shiny_Rock
Please forgive my ignorance, I'm not entirely sure I can picture the difference between a collet and bezel setting. I am open to setting style's. I saw the ones posted on the other thread somebody's gotta buy this and thought they were really quite stunning as well.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
What is the budget? Color preference? Echo questions above on preset v loose and add settings, plus style of cut. Any mm size you are looking to hit with the stones alone?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Collet, dangles, but there you go. Traditionally closed backed with an a jour.

IMG_20200313_185638.jpg

Bezel (dangles, old photo):
IMG_20190603_185405709.jpg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at OWD? They have some earrings listed and a lot more that aren’t.

collier

Shiny_Rock

Not yet! I'm off to check them out.

Thank you for the clarification on collet settings. I think I prefer the bezel.

I think he was envisioning several options. I have no idea how serious he is about this but my guess is budget would be roughly 15k.

collier

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and totally preset ready to go. He likes to know total costs with shipping/taxes and has close to no imagination.

(but he's sweet, so I'll keep him)

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JBG has a pair within budget, but not exactly what you want and the stones don’t excite me. Your best bet is to firm up your budget with your husband and reach out to Adam at OWD. He should have a few options for you. If you see a pair you like loose or in the wrong setting he’s in NYC so can easily get them bezel set, just tell him you need a firm final price. I wouldn’t buy loose and have set elsewhere if that is going to stress your husband.

collier

Shiny_Rock
Great advice! Thank you all.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Adam has a bench that makes nice settings. Or you can also get Stuller through him. The scroll setting by Stuller with prong refinement is quite pretty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results