shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Cut ring on Ebay

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone - I was browsing around on ebay instead of cleaning my house :cheeky: and came across this ring - was just wondering what you all thought of it. The stone looks more tinted than a K in the pics, maybe M? And I was curious about the setting - do you think it's vintage? It reminds me so much of Beverly K. I'm leaning towards it being vintage, since the stones in the halo are old cuts. But the basket strikes me as a bit more contemporary. If it's vintage, here's proof that halos have been around for a long time and are nothing new! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-ART-DECO-PLATINUM-ENGAGEMENT-4-46ct-DIAMOND-RING-/330864086581?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d09094e35&_uhb=1

The seller is calling it an old mine cut, but it looks like an OEC to me. I'm thinking the price is pretty good? They take offers too, so it could go for less.

Anyone familiar with this seller? They have some pretty cool things IMO.

I've sort of fallen in love with this ring, I don't know why I do this to myself! :sick: What do you all think of it?

Oh, and I apologize if this ring has been posted before and already discussed in some thread I missed, but I'd still love to hear opinions!

__kgrhqz__h_fc1cy_-t6bq-zwh1y1___60_1.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very pretty cut, but I'd say color is much lower than K, lower than M too (though I'm no color expert). To me, the setting does not look vintage. Not sure why exactly... just a feeling. Not a very vintage style, i guess.

I've never bought from this seller, but I just looked at their return policy right now. Pretty harsh -- only if misrepresented. They even go so far as to specify that if they didn't include something in the description but it's visible in the photo -- not good enough grounds for refund. I wouldn't feel comfortable spending a lot of money with that kind of return policy.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yikes I didn't even notice the return policy, thanks GemFever.

Yeah, interesting about the setting...I go back and forth about it but those old cuts in the halo are confusing me. The basket is very similar to Mayk's setting.

And yeah, the stone probably is even more tinted than M. I think it's a pretty stone though.

Thanks for commenting, I hope some others chime in. I'm not really considering buying this ring, it just caught my eye and I'm genuinely curious as to what others think of it.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking at the colour of the diamond and how it performs from the different angle, I think it looks just like mine, which is a Q/R! It has a lovely facet pattern and I love the culet!

I think the diamond is not centred in that halo tho - doesn't it look like at the top, it is 'hanging over' the halo, but at the bottom, you can see the airline?

but...if I had a spare $24K lying around, I could be tempted....!! :Up_to_something:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I think it's at least O/P, if not Q/R. Beautiful cut and lovely ring, though!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
It's a gorgeous setting! And if its really an O/P or the like, you should have grounds for returning it if it doesn't make your heart sing in person. Surely that would be considered grossly misrepresented.

ETA: I would make sure to negotiate a return period purchasing it however.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1359582391|3367747 said:
Looking at the colour of the diamond and how it performs from the different angle, I think it looks just like mine, which is a Q/R! It has a lovely facet pattern and I love the culet!

I think the diamond is not centred in that halo tho - doesn't it look like at the top, it is 'hanging over' the halo, but at the bottom, you can see the airline?

but...if I had a spare $24K lying around, I could be tempted....!! :Up_to_something:

I noticed that too, but I thought it might be because the ring is a little tilted in the pics - the top of the halo looks more narrow than the bottom, and so I assumed it wasn't a straight-on pic - you might be right though!

I"m thinking If they were willing to go down to $20,000, that would be a pretty decent price? I know it's higher in color than K, but it is a 4 carat diamond! I dunno, I really don't have a good feel for old cut pricing.

It sure is purdy though, huh? :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with all of the comments that have been made so far. If you're serious about it junebug, I'd ask about a 3 day return period so that you can have the stone evaluated by an appraiser you trust.

If they won't do that, then you're kind of up a creek if you (or your appraiser) don't agree with their assessment of color.

Definitely a pretty stone though.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and stone! I'm wary of the return policy as well. Also, there are white spots along the 4:00 line and the 10:00 line in the first vendor pic—are those inclusions?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to everyone for your responses!

Fortekitty, I'm sure you're right about the color, it looks really tinted in some of the pics - I'll have to check out some higher colored stones in person.

Yenny and rosebloom, I agree, I would definitely ask for at least a 3 day return policy.

I see what you mean Kim, not sure what those white flecks are - didn't notice them at first. Hmm. Enerchi could be right too, the stone might be a little off-kilter in the setting.

One other thing I noticed as I was dreamily staring at the pics - this thing is huge!!! It dawned on me as I was looking at the hand pic - it's a size 7 and covers almost her entire finger! I wear a 4.25 - I dunno, probably too big. As much as I'm drawn to these big stones I'd probably feel self-conscious. Then again, maybe not! :devil:

I really do love it though...this ring makes me think of Dreamer mentioning how rare and special stones like this are - they fascinate me. *sigh*

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Coming back to look at it again... such a small table... if I had that ring on my finger, I'd probably spend wayyy more time than is healthy for anyone thinking "who's got a cute small table? you do! Yes you doooo... you so pretty! You so cuuuuuuute!"

Ahem.

Ahem hem hem :bigsmile:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1359606935|3368250 said:
Coming back to look at it again... such a small table... if I had that ring on my finger, I'd probably spend wayyy more time than is healthy for anyone thinking "who's got a cute small table? you do! Yes you doooo... you so pretty! You so cuuuuuuute!"

Ahem.

Ahem hem hem :bigsmile:

:lol:

I asked the seller about the setting - hopefully he won't get all insulted that I think it might be a repro :cheeky: (although check out the prongs, don't they look...old?) Anyway, I'll let you know what he says!

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
pretty!! :love: :love: :love:

I have an M - and so I must agree - this does not look like a K in these pictures

loving that teeny tiny table!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked with the seller, and he maintains it's a vintage setting from the 20's - 30's.

Gah, I thought I was over my DSS, and then I saw Missy's beautiful new ring! Eek, maybe a break from PS is in order for junebug...

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
But Junebug, you have such a beautiful OEC! And J-color, too. And in one of the best settings I've seen here! What you should do is take some pics and post them here for our enjoyment ::)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1359741185|3369711 said:
But Junebug, you have such a beautiful OEC! And J-color, too. And in one of the best settings I've seen here! What you should do is take some pics and post them here for our enjoyment ::)

Wow, I really appreciate the nice words GemFever, thank you so much, you are very kind! And thanks for the reality check - I do love my ring. A few years ago I never would have dreamt I'd ever have a ring like this. I suppose I second guess myself sometimes, seeing all the different stones and options here on PS. Thanks for reminding me that I have a ring that suits me.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the ring had been sold, but I think the listing just ended - never mind! :cheeky:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup, seems like one offer was declined, the other expired. Who lets an offer on this kind of item expire? Although maybe it was some kind crazy lowball offer that the seller decided to ignore. Still... expired offers make me think -> lazy or unmotivated seller.

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
Junebug - I am certainly with GemFever - your OEC is beautiful!!

and I love the home it lives in now :bigsmile:

I too look at halos all the time (and my ring size is 7 - so I have the real estate there to pull it off)

but I always end up deciding that I love seeing a single beautiful stone in a well made setting for my erring

one day I will probably get a halo for a RHR - and it probably will be an OEC - but just a smaller one to wear every now and then

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heliotrope, thank you so much for your nice comments, it makes me feel good that you like my ring :))

I know what you mean about halos - seeing all of the beautiful halo rings here on PS has really made me want one! :cheeky: I've briefly considered haloing my OEC but like you I really like the look of a solitaire with a larger stone. I have a .75 OEC set in a pendant, and I find myself not wearing it that much - I've been seriously thinking of putting it in a halo setting. Let's see...my 30th anniversary is in one and a half years...wonder if I can get the hubs on board? :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1360043288|3372554 said:
Heliotrope, thank you so much for your nice comments, it makes me feel good that you like my ring :))

I know what you mean about halos - seeing all of the beautiful halo rings here on PS has really made me want one! :cheeky: I've briefly considered haloing my OEC but like you I really like the look of a solitaire with a larger stone. I have a .75 OEC set in a pendant, and I find myself not wearing it that much - I've been seriously thinking of putting it in a halo setting. Let's see...my 30th anniversary is in one and a half years...wonder if I can get the hubs on board? :bigsmile:

I concur!! when I was looking for settings for my OEC, I was SOOOOOO tempted and so close to going for a halo.... I still wonder if I should take it out of this setting and halo it ... but I also love this setting!!

Maybe in 1.5 years from now, you'll have tired a little of this setting and then the Halo idea would be a good alternative??? Altho--- your setting is PERFECT as it is!! Oh --- the dilemma's we face on PS, huh?? ;))

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1360070699|3372654 said:

I concur!! when I was looking for settings for my OEC, I was SOOOOOO tempted and so close to going for a halo.... I still wonder if I should take it out of this setting and halo it ... but I also love this setting!!

Maybe in 1.5 years from now, you'll have tired a little of this setting and then the Halo idea would be a good alternative??? Altho--- your setting is PERFECT as it is!! Oh --- the dilemma's we face on PS, huh?? ;))

Oh, that's right Enerchi, I remember that you were seriously considering a halo! And yes, never say never...maybe in a few years I'll be ready to go for it - so many choices - too many, in fact! :cheeky:

I really love your OEC setting though, it really is beautiful!! :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17 said:

Oh, that's right Enerchi, I remember that you were seriously considering a halo! And yes, never say never...maybe in a few years I'll be ready to go for it - so many choices - too many, in fact! :cheeky:

Aw!!thanks Junebug!! But the temptation of a halo - and I also have plenty of finger flesh that requires covering - is always looming in the back of my mind! And I really do like the contrast of warm old stones with brighter whiter melee, so it is always tempting. One of the rings that was my dream idea when searching, is the cover ring on the LJN home page and when I go there to drool (daily... I have zero willpower!!) even tho I lust after a halo... when I land there and see that inspiration ring, I am reminded of how much my own setting I did pick, looks like that... I feel better! Not to say a Halo will never happen... but I am happy with what I've picked!

What do you think you will end up doing? Are you tempted to get this ring from eBay? or take out the .75 OEC from the pendant and halo it? If you aren't wearing the pendant, would you wear the diamond more as a RHR?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1360250065|3374369 said:
junebug17 said:

Aw!!thanks Junebug!! But the temptation of a halo - and I also have plenty of finger flesh that requires covering - is always looming in the back of my mind! And I really do like the contrast of warm old stones with brighter whiter melee, so it is always tempting. One of the rings that was my dream idea when searching, is the cover ring on the LJN home page and when I go there to drool (daily... I have zero willpower!!) even tho I lust after a halo... when I land there and see that inspiration ring, I am reminded of how much my own setting I did pick, looks like that... I feel better! Not to say a Halo will never happen... but I am happy with what I've picked!

What do you think you will end up doing? Are you tempted to get this ring from eBay? or take out the .75 OEC from the pendant and halo it? If you aren't wearing the pendant, would you wear the diamond more as a RHR?

I know - the finger coverage a halo gives is pretty amazing - but I hear ya on loving your own setting - it feels good to see something similar and think "oh yeah, I'm still loving this!" And I love LJN too!!! Ohmygosh, such beautiful things on that site. I don't know why I torture myself going on there hehe!

Nah, I'm not going to get this ring - after mulling it over, I think it would be too big for me (PS blasphemy, I know! :cheeky: ) And I'd have to sell my current stone to alleviate feeling guilty about putting so much money into diamonds, and I do love the OEC I have now.

Good question about the halo for the smaller stone! I'm really not much of a rhr person - or if I do wear one, it's just a simple band style ring. I know it sounds weird, but I sort of like my wedding set to be the star of the show - and I'm always nervous I'm going to bang a rhr on something. I'd probably wear it as an alternate ering, but that might not work either since I tend to be a one ering kind of gal - I latch onto a favorite and don't want to switch! But it seems such a shame for that pretty little OEC to be ignored! Oh, the problems we bling-lovers face! :D But I have to say, I'm leaning towards a halo because I love the look so much.

I'm actually pretty excited about a recent ebay purchase - a Scott Kay wedding band that was so inexpensive I'm starting to get nervous there's something wrong with it! ::) It shipped today and I can't wait to get it - it's just a simple platinum diamond band, .32 carats. The band I wear now just doesn't have enough "oomph" - I really just want a delicate, subtle touch of sparkle to wear with my solitaire and am hoping this does the trick! I know this band isn't vintage/antique, but I think it's simple and classic enough to go with my OEC - and like you, a contrast in the color of the stones doesn't bother me at all. So I'm hoping this works and gives me the look I've been wanting!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh! fun - fingers crossed its the perfect accent to your OEC ering!!

I admire your dedication to being a 'one ering' kinda gal!! me ... I kind of get so easily tempted by shiny thing.... I want them all!!! :loopy:

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
junebug, I spotted the same ring on eBay and gemfever very kindly directed me here :))
I was wondering whether you had asked the seller for a return period, and what he responded to you :))

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'm late to the party! I always forget to look in this forum. :wavey: I love your ring Junebug, but I do know the Delong of wanting something larger. PS SMTB posts make everyone think of going larger....lol. :wink2:

Its such a pretty ring! I kept clicking on the expired and relisted auction so I could save pics of that beautiful setting and saw the seller now has a 14 day return policy. :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dianabarbara, I never asked about a return period but My diamondsparkles is right - the seller now has a 14 day return policy! :appl:

Mydiamondsparkles, thank you for your nice words! It's always nice to hear someone likes my ring...but it is hard to keep the DSS in check with all the large rocks over in SMTB...I have a new plan, I'm going to keep my eyes open for an antique ring with a smaller stone with a halo...easier on my wallet and hopefully will give me a big look. Well, it's a plan anyway! :cheeky:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind me adding a bit of info about this ring. I saw it on Ebay and was smitten as well but was not sure if I could live with the colour... and I agree it did not look like a J/K to my eye. To cut a long story short after the auction I contacted the seller and asked if it could be sent to GIA to be certified. I live in Australia so I really can't go and look at the diamond in person without cost and drama.

Anyway the seller Martin is a lovely guy, really easy to deal with and he went out of his way to help me. I did pay for the stone to be sent to GIA and I marvel at all of your skills on this forum :o because it did come back a Q/R colour. It's a magnificent cut which you can see in the pics. I think the white marks are slight abrasion to the top of the stone due to age and could probably be polished out, you can see them with a camera but not so much in person. It also came back from GIA saying there is a very small chip on the edge on one side. It's not obvious in the setting and once again getting a re-polish would fix the situation.

After days of deciding and it was VERY hard for me I decided that because I can't see the stone in person and I am not sure about the colour it's not the stone for me. But I can say if any of you like lower coloured Old Cuts it would be a bargain. Once the GIA certificate came back I can say the price went down (lower than $20 000) and it came back at 3.97 carats so it looks like over 4 carats out of the setting and larger in the antique setting that is on Ebay. Martin the vendor said that its yellow in some light and side on but looking face down (I think because of the great cut) it faces up a much whiter creamy colour.

He did go out of his way to help me so I said in return I would tell you all about the stone to see if anyone else is interested. The shop via Google is Rozental Antiques and I believe it's in Florida if any of you want to go and look at the stone (which I would probably do if I lived in the US). I can also give you his email if you need it.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
If the stone has been determined to be lower in color (Q/R) I wonder why the seller hasn't amended the ebay auction accordingly. I just checked and he is still describing it as K in color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results