shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Cut Experts Please Chime In!!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello PS! I am helping a friend's bf search for her ER. I found this diamond on JA, it is on hold being evaluated by a gemologist bc of the extremely thin girdle. However, I wanted your opinion on the cut. Just let me know what you think. I am hoping that it will be chunky and fiery.

possibleoldcut.png

possibleoldcut2.png

possibleoldcut3.png

Hera

Ideal_Rock
The table is too big for my liking (thought the facet pattern is pretty) and the extremely thin girdle would concern me for durability. I suggest to keep looking.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hera|1411329224|3754886 said:
The table is too big for my liking (thought the facet pattern is pretty) and the extremely thin girdle would concern me for durability. I suggest to keep looking.

I know the table is pretty large for an old cut, but price considered, under 2k, does that help your opinion? We were basically looking for the nicest pretty diamond we could get for the budget. The next option, if we were to go modern rb, would yield maybe a .70 JA H&A. I have the JA gemologist reviewing it for the girdle.

It is nice to hear that you like the facet pattern! That's what concerns me most, a pretty diamond.

umbrella

Rough_Rock
I've already had that stone evaluated by a JA gemologist and it was not good. The performance lacks somewhat, which is proven by the ASET. I had 2 other diamonds (which also weren't that great) evaluated at the same time, and this one was the worst of the three. Here's what the gemologist said:
The 0.88 carat-K-SI1 (diamond 362879; $1,970) is a very beautiful option; however, there are more dark areas than brilliance in the diamond; causing it to be the weakest of the three face up. Both "K" color diamonds have a noticeable warmth to them; while all three diamonds are completely "eye clean".

Here's the ASET

trans88aset.jpg

I know it seems a great price for a diamond that size, but I would honestly keep looking. I tried to make myself love this diamond because of the price point, but I just couldn't do it. I know it won't be a lively stone. You also mentioned that you're hoping it will be chunky, but I can tell you now that it won't be. This is a transitional cut, and the facets are quite slim for an old cut, so unfortunately it will not be as chunky as other OECs. I suggest your friend's boyfriend keep searching for a bit until a better diamond comes up. That might mean either upping the budget or lowering diamond size, but unfortunately that's the reality of diamond prices.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
umbrella|1411340159|3754968 said:
I've already had that stone evaluated by a JA gemologist and it was not good. The performance lacks somewhat, which is proven by the ASET. I had 2 other diamonds (which also weren't that great) evaluated at the same time, and this one was the worst of the three. Here's what the gemologist said:
The 0.88 carat-K-SI1 (diamond 362879; $1,970) is a very beautiful option; however, there are more dark areas than brilliance in the diamond; causing it to be the weakest of the three face up. Both "K" color diamonds have a noticeable warmth to them; while all three diamonds are completely "eye clean".

Here's the ASET

trans88aset.jpg

I know it seems a great price for a diamond that size, but I would honestly keep looking. I tried to make myself love this diamond because of the price point, but I just couldn't do it. I know it won't be a lively stone. You also mentioned that you're hoping it will be chunky, but I can tell you now that it won't be. This is a transitional cut, and the facets are quite slim for an old cut, so unfortunately it will not be as chunky as other OECs. I suggest your friend's boyfriend keep searching for a bit until a better diamond comes up. That might mean either upping the budget or lowering diamond size, but unfortunately that's the reality of diamond prices.

Thank you for the info Umbrella! I think we may go the route of having the diamond shipped loose for an in person eval. I own ideal cut RBs in a similar size so I think an in person decision will have to be made. I also have a pair of OEC earrings and each stone is about .65 so it'll be interesting to compare them. I'll have to wait and see what he wants to do.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Would your friend consider an antique ring? There's one listed on LT which was originally purchased from JBEG before they split into two separate companies. .79ct HVS2 OEC in platinum with sidestones with a report from David Atlas. Great price $3.1k.

This was my friends ring, she isn't on PS. I have seen it IRL and it's gorgeous.

Link: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/79ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/25067850_9kpML8#!i=2054212012&k=KQsrPBQ

Link: http://www.loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/dot-79-oec-g-h-vs2-antique-platinum-engagement-ring-from-jbeg

umbrella

Rough_Rock
Sure if you have the luxury of doing that in person without any fees and if that's what the boyfriend wants to do, then go ahead. It sort of seems pointless to go through a gemologist and get their professional evaluation if you're going to ignore them and have it shipped regardless. I doubt it will be an impressive diamond but as I said, go right ahead if it helps make a decision :)) You never know, it might strike a soft spot with the boyfriend.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
umbrella|1411342430|3754975 said:
Sure if you have the luxury of doing that in person without any fees and if that's what the boyfriend wants to do, then go ahead. It sort of seems pointless to go through a gemologist and get their professional evaluation if you're going to ignore them and have it shipped regardless. I doubt it will be an impressive diamond but as I said, go right ahead if it helps make a decision :)) You never know, it might strike a soft spot with the boyfriend.

My concern for the gemologist is the girdle for setting in a prong setting. I don't see how that's pointless since if they say it's not safe for the setting in mind we wouldn't bother having it shipped. As it stands, JA has free shipping and free returns so I don't think it'll cost anything out of pocket to evaluate the stone in person if that's what is chosen.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1411342373|3754974 said:
Would your friend consider an antique ring? There's one listed on LT which was originally purchased from JBEG before they split into two separate companies. .79ct HVS2 OEC in platinum with sidestones with a report from David Atlas. Great price $3.1k.

This was my friends ring, she isn't on PS. I have seen it IRL and it's gorgeous.

Link: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/79ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/25067850_9kpML8#!i=2054212012&k=KQsrPBQ

Link: http://www.loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/dot-79-oec-g-h-vs2-antique-platinum-engagement-ring-from-jbeg

You never know! I'll certainly pass the listing on to him, thanks!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a transitional cut pattern not an OEC and resembling more of a badly cut round brilliant than a great OEC. All the green in the ASET is going to show up as dead looking patches in the diamond and it is going to look smaller than its size, despite having a big table, because it doesn't have good edge to edge brilliance according to the ASET image.

You should be looking for a diamond with more bright sections than dark dead spots and one that switches on/off as you tilt it not one that has areas that stay uniformly dark/dead.

umbrella

Rough_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1411342924|3754977 said:
My concern for the gemologist is the girdle for setting in a prong setting. I don't see how that's pointless since if they say it's not safe for the setting in mind we wouldn't bother having it shipped. As it stands, JA has free shipping and free returns so I don't think it'll cost anything out of pocket to evaluate the stone in person if that's what is chosen.

Oh right okay. Sorry I thought perhaps you were wanting to know if it was a well cut diamond with chunky facets. Yes then it's a good idea to get the gemologist's opinion on the extremely thin girdle. My guess is that it's not recommended for a prong setting, a bezel setting would be a safer option. I read your original post again and I see now that you were asking for PSers opinion if it's a well cut stone, chunky and firey. My answer is no :(( I am by no means and expert but I've been searching for an OEC for months and months. You can even tell in the JA 360 view that it's not the best for light return.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also add uber thin girdles are a risk of chipping the diamond if you wear your rings all the time and smack your hand against anything. Unless you want to re-polish the girdle for an open style setting or put it in a bezel (most protected) or a halo (second most protected).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey! I can't comment more on this stone than others have but I've been stalking JA for a while for low priced fancies.... Would he take something other than around? If so what's his overall budget and setting he's going for? I might know of a few stones on JA that might work

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1411345556|3754992 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...n-row-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49486

This is the setting we like best. If this diamond is a dud it'll be the best modern rb we can get for the budget and I'll be back then, lol. This diamond was really just a shot in the dark at something potentially cool and different.

did this one hae too small of side stones? I ask only because its cheaper, and they add millgraining for free (last i checked)

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-tailored-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41042

both lovely, i just ask because its cheaper and the side stones are a tad smaller, making the color difference and cut difference less noticeable.
But i do love that setting too, just an idea

So you are ordering the old cut? I will say (i forget his name at) Old world Diamonds said that ASETS ans Idealscopes arent the best for old cuts.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a really pretty setting and a great price as well!!!! Out of curiosity will they take a stone from another vendor and set it into that setting for you? We could help you find a nice OEC from somewhere else it put into it or a round brilliant from either JA or somewhere else to go into it.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1411346323|3754997 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...n-row-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49486

This is the setting we like best. If this diamond is a dud it'll be the best modern rb we can get for the budget and I'll be back then, lol. This diamond was really just a shot in the dark at something potentially cool and different.

did this one hae too small of side stones? I ask only because its cheaper, and they add millgraining for free (last i checked)

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-tailored-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41042

both lovely, i just ask because its cheaper and the side stones are a tad smaller, making the color difference and cut difference less noticeable.

So you are ordering the old cut? I will say (i forget his name at) Old world Diamonds said that ASETS ans Idealscopes arent the best for old cuts.

I have seen that smaller version but I think for an extra $200 the other one had much more presence. That's how I feel about old cut re: ASET, I have an OMB and OEC studs which I love in person and would probably be disgusting in an ASET, lol.

I'm waiting to see what the gemologist says about the setting risk regarding the girdle. If they say it's reasonably safe then we'll have it shipped loose to check it out in person.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1411346487|3754999 said:
That is a really pretty setting and a great price as well!!!! Out of curiosity will they take a stone from another vendor and set it into that setting for you? We could help you find a nice OEC from somewhere else it put into it or a round brilliant from either JA or somewhere else to go into it.

They will set outside stones but they charge $100 and they don't insure the stone for damage, this is why we would like to keep it all in one place. If the transitional is not safe for setting or not pleasing IRL then we will come back to find the best modern RB in the 2k or less budget. Believe me, I won't let him buy a dog, but I am trying to be realistic with the budget.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1411346857|3755003 said:

I have seen that smaller version but I think for an extra $200 the other one had much more presence. That's how I feel about old cut re: ASET, I have an OMB and OEC studs which I love in person and would probably be disgusting in an ASET, lol.

I'm waiting to see what the gemologist says about the setting risk regarding the girdle. If they say it's reasonably safe then we'll have it shipped loose to check it out in person.

understandable. I just wanted to voice my concern that the side stones are pretty big and the K color. But if youre not concerned then I'll shut up.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1411347074|3755005 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1411346857|3755003 said:

understandable. I just wanted to voice my concern that the side stones are pretty big and the K color. But if youre not concerned then I'll shut up.

I will ask if maybe they can use lower colored melee. I have a three stone bezel ring with a K center and 1 J side and 1 I side and I've never noticed the difference, this is probably coloring my thinking. At least I know with JA if it's not a good look it can be returned. No need to shut up! I appreciate all feedback as it's making me think of things I wouldn't have necessarily thought of.

Thank you all for your input!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone! I hope it works for you as its an excellent find! Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results