clarity

Okay even im in shock

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
remember the dollar store rings?
20200626_002536.jpg these guys?
Well.... they were sealed in resin.
I didnt even expect this one.
A whole bottle of goo gone and an entire day later I can show off this sparkly 20200630_231348.jpg
Im way too tired to show the others.
Lots of sparkly posts to come. I may even have a bit more resin to remove from this one.
The center stone was three or four shades lighter than it showed.
Unmarked.
The resin preserved these beauties, but its time to break them out i think.

Edit: please excuse my dirty nails, ive soent all day removing gunk from antiques
And yes i will moisturize in the morning

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure to check none of the stones are / come loose.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Make sure to check none of the stones are / come loose.
No loose ones yet. Although it already had two missing. Would it be advisable to have them replaced before an appraisal?
Not sure just yet if ill be keeping this one.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You won't know what stone to replace them with until it's appraised ;-)

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
You won't know what stone to replace them with until it's appraised ;-)

VERY true. LOL! Maybe i should drink my coffee before trying to string together thoughts of sequential importance.

I guess my line of thinking was the missing stones would hurt the appraisal. But hell i sure do need to know what they are to replace them.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Did you get any items appraised yet?
I know ppl said a pawn shop- but I always thought they will undervalue objects tremendously; so idk if that's the best option.
You need to first find out if these have real gold & real gems

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People said pawn shops to find out if the stones are diamonds or not. If they are not diamonds, you dont need an appraisal (then they are likely
inexpensive costume jewelry). May still be fun to wear though.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
People said pawn shops to find out if the stones are diamonds or not. If they are not diamonds, you dont need an appraisal (then they are likely
inexpensive costume jewelry). May still be fun to wear though.

My jeweler said that before he can even asses at any of this i HAVE to get the resin off, he said by the looks of it this may very well be some large rocks. He said its doubtful on rings of that size that they would have buried glass in resin.
He asked if ive taken into account how im going to certify the large quantity of lose stones if they are verified. He made me an appointment on Saturday, and told me to get to cleaning.
He said the poodle looks authentic (i left the bear because of the similarities between it and a costume piece) but he wants the resin cleaned off.
I have an appointment on Saturday for the cleaned loose stones and pieces.
I had also found a filigree pendant ajd thought nothing off it, but he said he wanted me to soak the resin off that as well because he could see potential large stones in it as well. 20200701_104005.jpg here is the one necklace that was a stainless steel chain with silver set sparklies saudered on. I deconstructed and soaked the resin off the stones. The green one came out of a nickel setting

So all in all, I don't have an absolute answer, just progress and a lot of work ahead.
Alph ( well officially alias my jewler) seemed really excited about it all. So his optimism is high. He said if they are real he'd like to make the appropriate connections so he can get some discovery traffic out of it.

Ill take a loose stone or two to a pawn shop today just to see what they say and update!
Dont think ill take the rings though, because of the potential of them being undervalued. Also not being stamped makes it hard.

I also made a point to purchas a uv blacklight lamp, can home test for flueresence and phospheresence. Thats just fun stuff that will entertain the kiddos a bit right? Ive got my little one and her cousim for the day, we call them the twin tornadoes, they were born just a week apart!

Oop quick edit: the gold/silver (the setting from the loose stones) on the few pieces were confirmed but he could not confirm the stones with the heavy layer of resin on them.

Last edited:

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
These are costume rings. They are in no danger of being undervalued. They are not stamped because they are not made of any materials of any value whatsoever. I am 100% sure that the rings are not even old. They are poor quality, probably made in China, and by your own description, already falling apart. Your jeweler says that it is unlikely that glass would be buried in resin? Does he think it makes more sense for diamond to be buried in resin? Because it doesn't. If he tells you that any of this stuff has any value, he is lying his face off; ask him to buy it and see the response. Please do not spend any more time or money on this project.

Last edited:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Go ahead and take the rings anyway....you are not there to have them valued but to have them tell you if they are made of gold and what kind of stones they are...diamonds or not.

I've never heard of gemstones of any sort being set in resin or covered in resin...I don't even understand what that means. The pictures of the transparent pieces taken out and laid on the pretty tablecloth look completely transparent...you can see right through which does not indicate diamond.

It does seem like you are enjoying this although if you keep at it you won't even have any costume jewelry to have fun with.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Go ahead and take the rings anyway....you are not there to have them valued but to have them tell you if they are made of gold and what kind of stones they are...diamonds or not.

I've never heard of gemstones of any sort being set in resin or covered in resin...I don't even understand what that means. The pictures of the transparent pieces taken out and laid on the pretty tablecloth look completely transparent...you can see right through which does not indicate diamond.

It does seem like you are enjoying this although if you keep at it you won't even have any costume jewelry to have fun with.

I agree, I would take them to a pawn shop just to have it confirmed they are real gold/diamonds/gems. Its fun to dream about finding a real piece when you purchase an ebay lot, but if none of them are marked as 14k or 10k they're most likely costume. They're fun, though! I actually have the same necklace as the one you posted on the other thread, I wear it all the time, its one of my favs! Enjoy your collection!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Be very careful soaking base metals in chemicals like this. At best you will remove the plating, at worst you could cause a chemical reaction. Gold is tested with acid for a reason.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soaked in resin? Sure sign they are low quality fakes. Good costume jewelry doesn't have coatings like this.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Did you get any items appraised yet?
I know ppl said a pawn shop- but I always thought they will undervalue objects tremendously; so idk if that's the best option.
You need to first find out if these have real gold & real gems

Yes @Polabowla I could be wrong, but i thought OP had a Tuesday appt???

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I take back the assumption I had made on her other thread about this being a troll.

Sadly I think it's different which actually worries me a bit.
Because of this reason and because we are a website of kind & knowledgable women I think we should tread lightly and be careful not to be cruel or make fun of the situation or her ideas.

Im sticking to the idea that being straight forward and honest about these pieces is best while still staying kind. Shes heard all of our educated assessments which are of the opinion that every piece is costume so I think its best to just let things be & not use anothers delusions as entertainment which is why I will no longer be following the thread.

Good luck to the OP, & I hope she finds joy out of her sweet costume jewelry.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @TheGarnetGirl. This seems to be more of a mental issue than a troll. I do hope she finds joy with the costume jewelry if only OP would believe it is costume. Even after we have told her multiple times that these are not diamonds, she is deluded with the thoughts that these are real diamonds now covered in resin. :shock: And, with how convinced and obsessed she is that she’s stumbled upon an heirloom collector’s piece... there is only disappointment at the end of this road.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
**edited by moderator, no namecalling or armchair diagnoses**

Please don't get the wrong idea from my post. I am in no way going along with the delusion. Doing so by lying to the OP and saying her jewelry is all fine jewelry would be dangerous. For that we should be honest.

What I am saying is that we are different than other corners of the internet and have enough kindness & class to not be cruel or use her delusions as entertainment.

If we do so on the rare occasion it can have detrimental consequences for those with mental illness. While it wouldnt be our fault I would not like to poke the bear or have anything negative that came of it on my conscience. Although it comes down to differences in morality I believe that deep down we all share this idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Please don't get the wrong idea from my post. I am in no way going along with the delusion. Doing so by lying to the OP and saying her jewelry is all fine jewelry would be dangerous. For that we should be honest.

What I am saying is that we are different than other corners of the internet and have enough kindness & class to not be cruel or use her delusions as entertainment.

If we do so on the rare occasion it can have detrimental consequences for those with mental illness. While it wouldnt be our fault I would not like to poke the bear or have anything negative that came of it on my conscience. Although it comes down to differences in morality I believe that deep down we all share this idea.

I agree completely. OP now has another thread in which she states she has unintentionally lost 35 pounds in 2 months and is gardening until she almost passes out. I am legitimately concerned for her wellbeing. I hope she has some good people in her life who see what is going on here.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
You’re very kind hearted and sensitive and I agree with you that PS is a special type of community. In a way I also agree with @kb1gra that we aren’t here to provide online mental health counseling.

Previously in this thread I posted a link to the NIH resources for mental health, where OP could find support and counseling. He/she rejected it and so I removed my post.

Initially in light of the clickbait thread title and the total lack of connection between the title and the thread contents, I expected that it was only a matter of time before OP started attempting to flog her ‘treasure’ - just annoying, but harmless. However as the threads have burgeoned into delusions and dishonesty, I’ve considered adding link to other types of support groups. Maybe it’s better that I stay out of this.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
You’re very kind hearted and sensitive and I agree with you that PS is a special type of community. In a way I also agree with @kb1gra that we aren’t here to provide online mental health counseling.

Previously in this thread I posted a link to the NIH resources for mental health, where OP could find support and counseling. He/she rejected it and so I removed my post.

Initially in light of the clickbait thread title and the total lack of connection between the title and the thread contents, I expected that it was only a matter of time before OP started attempting to flog her ‘treasure’ - just annoying, but harmless. However as the threads have burgeoned into delusions and dishonesty, I’ve considered adding link to other types of support groups. Maybe it’s better that I stay out of this.

I understand how youre feeling. It's a sticky one although I still think that just not engaging is probably best.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We still don’t know what you paid for your collection. With some designer costume pieces in there you’re bound to have recouped your money!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I hope I haven't come across too harsh as that has not been my intention. I am concerned that she could be taken advantage of (being charged by her jeweler) and by dismantling everything OP will not even have the joy and fun of wearing the costume jewelry if it turns out to be just that. Yes there may be bigger concerns but none that I am qualified to address.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would still like to see the diamonds in the stainless steel necklace up close.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if someone is likely a troll, the post should be reported. I think if you honestly believe a poster has some legitimate issues, then it really is inappropriate to be diagnosing and discussing that illness on the thread for them to read.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately the OP is not wanting to listen to anything we say. It’s 100% obvious that all of these pieces are just costume jewellery. The stones are just glass and the metals gold or silver coloured, not actual precious metal.
The shame is that by digging all the rhinestones out, the wearable costume jewellery pieces are being trashed.
I just hope her jeweller isn’t charging her to view these items.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I own a couple of nice (to me) lower end designer costume pieces - they came from the mall but they were exspensive enough i lay-buyed them
They are not real gemes, they are big beautiful sparkly coloured glass, but they are both so beautiful i would be dismayed if years in the future someone attached them to take them apart to see if they had real stones in them
they have value to me even though they are fake
My mother called costume jewlery junk jewlery which i think can be a little unkind and judgemental

Some costume jewlery is still so pretty years latter and is still desired by collectors and little girls playing dress ups alike

I just hope some of Elizabeth's efforts pay off for her

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results