shape
carat
color
clarity

OK - this is a DUMB question for someone who has been around as long as me..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
But.. there should be a visible size difference between a .30 RB and a .50 RB right?

Why I''m asking is my sister and I both have 3 stone rings (We have matching OEC''s).. Supposedly her sidestones are around .50 each and mine are .30 each.. But today I actaully had both of our rings on my finger.. the first time i''d really gotten to look at them both up close together.. and there really does NOT appear to be a difference in the size of the sidestones. Her setting is a bit different than mine.. set up higher and with four prongs on each stone.. but I really could not tell...Is this normal?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the difference should be visible. However, a few things come into play: the cut (which can make some diamonds look smaller, and others larger), the depth of the stone and the setting. Since you both have OECs, I think depth of the OECs are most likely the factor here. I know some OECs are super deep and others are more in the low 60''s.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't know much about these cuts but if some stones were cut shallower or deeper than the others then they could have the same face up spread even though the weight differed. Also 6 prongs could make them look visually larger than 4 prongs and possibly a larger table in some could have an enlarging effect too. Girdle weight with a thick girdle compared to thin could make a difference too. This question just proves that carat weight doesn't always mean size. Are the sides OEC's or just rounds?

A .3 ct round should measure about 4.2mm and a .5 5.2 mm so you can see the difference there, but this might not apply to OEC....

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am far from an expert as well but if I remember correctly your sides are RBs, right? I think the others are right that maybe hers are deeper and the combination of the setting makes the sides look smaller/larger. Do you know for a fact they are .50ct?

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Yeah. our side stones are all RBs.. Just the centers are OECs.. And I only know that hers are .50 ct. from her telling me that.. so she could be wrong or exaggerating. :)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe they are closer to .40. Just a guess though!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
There should absolutely be a noticeable difference.

I have both. My sides are .30 each (about 4.45mm); my earrings are .56 each (approx. 5.30mm), and there is a noticeable difference.

Unless her stones are EXTREMELY deep and not well cut, you should be able to see a difference.

dhog

Shiny_Rock
Maybe this will help

305123.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
her stones sound deep...you can lose a fair amount of diameter in a 62+ depth...some RB''s from stores are up to 66% depth, yikes.

so if yours are well-cut then they are probably facing up larger as well because of better light return (or edge to edge light return possibly) and possibly less depth than hers.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Cut a one carat round brilliant cut diamond to a depth like 63.5% and it will face up like a ninety pointer... As the depth increases, the outside diameter decreases. Thus it is completely possible for a thirty pointer and a half carat diamond to look pretty similar.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Todd.

Here is my take on the situation in general:

Noticable... From where?

Looking at the diamond on a rign from 5 to 20 Ft (or more) Not noticable.

Looking at the diamond close up (within 2 ft) - may be noticable, depending on the Cut Qualtiy.

A well cut .3 carat diamond will outshine a normal cut .5 carat diamond at any distance (and as Todd says, a well cut .3 diamond will outshine a poorly cut .9 carat diamond).

Of course, If I take my glasses off - I can''t notice the difference in size from any distance over 1 ft.

So what are you planning to do with these diamnods. If side diamonds or earings, and you''d like to save a few hundred. I''d go with a very well cut .3. If a center diamond or a pendant - then a larger diamond never hurts...

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results