shape
carat
color
clarity

OK, so Whiteflash. Opinions

Franqui62

Rough_Rock
Ok, so after reading all the threads feedback I’d got, and not sleeping great, I decided to pop over to Whiteflash again and have another look. And deciding Canadian should not be the highest priority.

What do you think of this one?

Unfortunately they appear to be closed, so I’ve left a message to get it put on hold, while we make final decision.

Attachments

• BE8D66D8-8EF8-47B9-87D0-B5F6C0436114.png
    BE8D66D8-8EF8-47B9-87D0-B5F6C0436114.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 46F4495F-501F-45F2-A25D-29B7B2161FE1.png
    46F4495F-501F-45F2-A25D-29B7B2161FE1.png
    246.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry they, diamond vendors, make it so hard to find a Canadian stone.

Anyhow, you wont have anyone argue against this stone. Its a beautiful stone...Super Ideal, AGS000 (Ideal Light return). Has all
the images you need to see that its an excellent performer.

The only thing someone might say is that you don't need to go that high in clarity but I've been watching your threads and I
know you've been looking for higher graded stones. Not an issue as long as its in your budget!

Here is the relative size of this stone on a size 6 finger...
snip.png

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
That is a gorgeous diamond. You just can’t go wrong with an ACA and E color to boot! If you wanted, you could drop to an F and VS clarity for a slight size bump. Not sure how you decided on those specific criteria?

Franqui62

Rough_Rock
Thank you both. I just put in D-G and Vs2+ and price range. About 12 stones came up, but I liked this best. Second was. G VS1 I think, but price wasn’t a lot different.

And to give you an idea, here’s my cheap and cheerful approximately .5 temporary on my 4.75 finger. 088794BF-0598-4E9B-8EC4-224C9BDA4154.jpeg

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, if I was interested in a Canadian diamond, I'd be looking into Sirius Star. At one time, they claimed to have been designed and cut in Canada along with using only Canadian rough. I am uncertain if this is true anymore or where one can find any diamonds.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both. I just put in D-G and Vs2+ and price range. About 12 stones came up, but I liked this best. Second was. G VS1 I think, but price wasn’t a lot different.

And to give you an idea, here’s my cheap and cheerful approximately .5 temporary on my 4.75 finger. 088794BF-0598-4E9B-8EC4-224C9BDA4154.jpeg

Do you have dimensions on that stone? I also wear a 4.75 and that doesn’t look like an approximate 0.50 size diamond. That looks much bigger. I’m afraid you will be disappointed in the real diamond of what you are wearing now is not close in dimensions to the diamond. Just trying to save you from diamond size regret. You can get a much bigger stone by looking at G color and VS stones. I have a 1.34 G stone and I’m highly color sensitive but it’s really not tinted at all. The only time you can see any “color” to it is next to a D stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jax172 I'm thinking its the picture angle that might be making it look that big.

Here is the look on a 4 3/4 finger

When I clicked on the link it defaulted to size 6.5 finger so I changed it to 4.75 and took a screen shot. If you click on it the clarity of the shot will improve. OP maybe post a photo of your temporary ring looking straight down to your finger instead of the angle of the one above.

Screenshot 2021-06-20 112213.jpg

Franqui62

Rough_Rock
Do you have dimensions on that stone? I also wear a 4.75 and that doesn’t look like an approximate 0.50 size diamond. That looks much bigger. I’m afraid you will be disappointed in the real diamond of what you are wearing now is not close in dimensions to the diamond. Just trying to save you from diamond size regret. You can get a much bigger stone by looking at G color and VS stones. I have a 1.34 G stone and I’m highly color sensitive but it’s really not tinted at all. The only time you can see any “color” to it is next to a D stone.

It’s camera angle I think. The ring is seven small paves that look like one stone to a degree, set in white gold. But it’s around 5.2mm wide Max, which was why I was looking at .3 - .5 stones, as the brilliance makes them look bigger.

In the past I wore a family ring, which was a 1ct diamond my grandfather brought back from South Africa. It was a much lower colour and the yellowness didn’t look good against my skin tone. The 1ct looked ridiculously large on my tiny finger, hence wanting to keep smaller and go for better cut and lighter.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I clicked on the link it defaulted to size 6.5 finger so I changed it to 4.75 and took a screen shot. If you click on it the clarity of the shot will improve. OP maybe post a photo of your temporary ring looking straight down to your finger instead of the angle of the one above.

Screenshot 2021-06-20 112213.jpg

This is a great visual to let you know exactly what that size diamond would look like on the finger. You have seemed to want a diamond on the smaller side but this should help you to know exactly what you can expect it to look like. Is this the size diamond that you really want?

Franqui62

Rough_Rock
Yay, it’s in hold and I’ll be emailed later to discuss:appl:
Now for settings...

Or

I think the first is less overpowering on my finger size?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darn...forgot that it would default to a finger size! I usually move the ring width down also to a more typical 2mm.

@Franqui62 That ring does look quite sparkly!

I know Canadians tend to go for more modest size stones. I saw some beautiful rings when we visited a few years back.
I think you will be happy with a Super Ideal (especially one of this quality).

Saw you've got it on hold...that's great!

I like both the settings you've picked. I'm sure you've seen these pics.

The legato has a .55 stone in it and the Simon G. has a .6 stone. Both very pretty!
snip.png snip1.png

Franqui62

Rough_Rock
Personally, if I was interested in a Canadian diamond, I'd be looking into Sirius Star. At one time, they claimed to have been designed and cut in Canada along with using only Canadian rough. I am uncertain if this is true anymore or where one can find any diamonds.

I think we were getting too hung up on being a Canadian stone above all else. And when it came to it, those we found weren’t great cut. That company now appears to have been sold to another now.

Franqui62

Rough_Rock
Darn...forgot that it would default to a finger size! I usually move the ring width down also to a more typical 2mm.

@Franqui62 That ring does look quite sparkly!

I know Canadians tend to go for more modest size stones. I saw some beautiful rings when we visited a few years back.
I think you will be happy with a Super Ideal (especially one of this quality).

Saw you've got it on hold...that's great!

I like both the settings you've picked. I'm sure you've seen these pics.

The legato has a .55 stone in it and the Simon G. has a .6 stone. Both very pretty!
snip.png snip1.png

Thank you. We’re in UK, not actually Canadian, but have family there.
I have tiny hands, so wanted a smaller, better cut stone with a delicate setting.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I would choose the Legato setting for that diamond. I love the way the shank tapers toward the diamond making it the real star! I think the second would overwhelm both the diamond and your hand.

Franqui62

Rough_Rock
Personally I would choose the Legato setting for that diamond. I love the way the shank tapers toward the diamond making it the real star! I think the second would overwhelm both the diamond and your hand.

Thank you. Yes, I feel it needs a delicate setting, being on the small side, with my dinky hands.

There’s this, too

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you are OK with giving an I color a shot (you can always return it and switch back to plan A), how about a much larger 0.734 that is 3 times the minimum noticable size difference?

The superior light performance of a super ideal cut will significantly help to drown out any color, especially once it's affixed in a setting.

You can always ask WF to put both this I next to the E (and maybe even an F, G, and H) side by side and make a comparison video for you.

Last edited:

Franqui62

Rough_Rock
If you are OK with giving an I color a shot (you can always return it and switch back to plan A), how about a much larger 0.734 that is 3 times the minimum noticable size difference?

The superior light performance of a super ideal cut will significantly help to drown out any color, especially once it's affixed in a setting.

You can always ask WF to put both this I next to the E (and maybe even an F, G, and H) side by side and make a comparison video for you.

Thank you. This will all be part of my discussion. However, I don’t want to go too large. The brilliance of the cut should give an illusion of bigger size anyway. Also, as my job is so physical (hence broken lens in photo above where I dropped phone on ballast), I don’t want anything too large either.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. This will all be part of my discussion. However, I don’t want to go too large. The brilliance of the cut should give an illusion of bigger size anyway. Also, as my job is so physical (hence broken lens in photo above where I dropped phone on ballast), I don’t want anything too large either.

We're talking less than a millimeter difference in diameter = around 0.6 so that shouldn't be any more of a concern with a 5.7mm diamond vs a 5.1mm diamond.

It's up to you, so go with your gut feeling and get what *you* want...it is your wallet, your choice, and your finger. All we can do it throw out tons of suggestions and make convincing arguments for one thing or another. You hold the power of the purse. That 0.523 E VVS1 you posted is an absolutely great choice!

Franqui62

Rough_Rock
We're talking less than a millimeter difference in diameter = around 0.6 so that shouldn't be any more of a concern with a 5.7mm diamond vs a 5.1mm diamond.

It's up to you, so go with your gut feeling and get what *you* want...it is your wallet, your choice, and your finger. All we can do it throw out tons of suggestions and make convincing arguments for one thing or another. You hold the power of the purse. That 0.523 E VVS1 you posted is an absolutely great choice!

Thanks. I really appreciate all the help I’ve had. I’m so glad I found this site!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP is in the UK so if the diamond is shipped there (or even Canada) she may not want the hassle of a return/exchange. I totally understand that. So trying an I color might be tricky. Personally I would look for a G to gain a bit of size. But I also understand that folks in the UK don't typically go for larger stones like we do in the U.S. She has picked a gorgeous stone and I think the Legato will make for a beautiful ring.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your intentions for a wedding band? Do you plan on using one you already own?

I believe a wedding band will sit nicely next to the Legato setting since it pinches in towards the top. I think the Valoria Twist
is going to push the wedding band out some so you may see a gap between your engagement ring and your wedding band.
If this is important to you, check with WF to make sure (sometimes it's hard to tell unless you see the two settings side-by-side).

The other thing to consider is what prongs you would like. You can ask them what the default prongs are for your setting of
choice. You can always ask them if you'd prefer something different.

Sorry, just assumed you lived in Canada since you were looking for a Canadian stone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom's ring had 4 tiny diamonds, maybe only 0.01 or 0.02 carat.
My first diamond, at 0.25 ct., seemed like a boulder ... but not for long.
So I also have experienced what we call DSS, Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome.

Many get used to a size that felt just right when new, but after some time seems to lose its impact.
Upgrading a diamond later makes money go poof, so perhaps consider a slightly larger stone for the same budget without going too low in color or clarity, and not compromising light performance at all.

IMO every ACA will have light performance so similar (if there is any detectable difference at all) that I suspect the only people who could could see the difference are pros who work with them daily for many years.

Personally I also prefer high color and clarity so I usually end up with diamonds that are relatively small for the budget.
But in this case, because of DSS and your choice being E VVS1, I'd grab one of several ACAs that are a tad larger.
Light performance comes from the cut, not color or clarity ... unless the clarity is very low or the diamond has issues.
But those would not qualify to become a WF ACA.
I don't think many people would notice the difference in E to G, or VVS1 to VS1.

As long as you know that good light performance isn't the result of high color and clarity, there is noting wrong with just preferring very high color and clarity.

WF has several ACAs I'd consider.
Here's a great candidate.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the diamond you have on reserve if that is the size you desire! There cannot be any regrets with that stone! I love the Legato Sleekline pave setting! It's a classic and very beautiful! I recommend platinum.

Since you seem to be color sensitive, I think it is wise to stick with E-F. If you could add just a little more to the price, I would recommend this one. It won't be too large, but I think you'd be pleased with it for just $300 extra. It has the best diameter for weight and price of the similar stones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1
I really like diamondseeker2006's recommendation, of course if you could up your budget a bit.
I would certainly try.

Oh, and I'd try immediately.
Diamonds that veteran PS members agree on recommending highly often sell very fast.

Last edited:

Franqui62

Rough_Rock
I love the diamond you have on reserve if that is the size you desire! There cannot be any regrets with that stone! I love the Legato Sleekline pave setting! It's a classic and very beautiful! I recommend platinum.

Since you seem to be color sensitive, I think it is wise to stick with E-F. If you could add just a little more to the price, I would recommend this one. It won't be too large, but I think you'd be pleased with it for just $300 extra. It has the best diameter for weight and price of the similar stones.

Thanks. I have added it to the wish list and will discuss with the consultant tomorrow. It does look lovely.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I have added it to the wish list and will discuss with the consultant tomorrow. It does look lovely.

Diamonds that PS members highly recommend often sell very fast ... to lurkers. ;(
That's why I'd buy it online now so nobody else can grab it before you do.
You can always cancel the purchase tomorrow morning before they ship it.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't actually have to buy it to reserve it online. I have reserved stones on WF before and you don't put in payment information since many people pay by wire anyway. I just put a note that says I am reserving it and will speak with a representative tomorrow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results