shape
carat
color
clarity

Ok, really, how much of a visual difference between AGS ideal and others?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Based on what you have seen in person, on your own finger and on others, or maybe in your work, or when out shopping, how noticeable do you think the difference is between AGS ideal or GIA Excellent cuts and "ideal" cut certs by the "lesser houses" like IGI, EGL, Gemscan etc? Did you notice a really big difference in sparkle, shine, arrows, and overall blingification?

I know I need to get out and see a bunch side-by-side myself, but before I hunt down those stones in Canada, which isn''t totally simple, I thought I''d just see what your experiences, impressions were.

Thanks!

DD

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a really well cut .15ct H&A diamond in my ring and it threw off more sparks then the typical .25 .33 pointers others had in the same lighting on the day I wore it too show someone.
In larger sizes the difference is even more.
But it really depends on the lighting some lighting will make any diamond look good but the best cuts look better across a wider range of lighting conditions.
Remember the top 6 things that effect diamond appearance are:
lighting
lighting
lighting
lighting
lighting
cut

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
strmrdr you are hilarious! Maybe I will carry my own lighting box.

Anyone else seen real life comparisons??

honey22

Ideal_Rock
As noted, the lighting can really influence how a stone is going to look. BUT, that said, when looking for my stone, I saw several GIA Ex Ex Ex (which were beautiful) and a lot of other very questionable stones
14.gif

I ended up with an ACA (AGS Ideal) from WF (shipped from US to me in Australia). I don''t know whether it''s just knowing it''s MINE, but it blew me away. Far and away better than the other GIA ex''s I personally saw.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I knew from reading and learning around here how awesome it was going to be, but seriously, I was shocked to see how sparkly it was in real life.

I am not saying that some GIA ex ex ex won''t be as fabulous, but you would have to look at the numbers IS images etc a bit closer if you can''t see the stone before buying. I don''t think you need to go out and look at lots of stones especially if you are looking to puchase online - just go with something like an ACA. I was a bit nervous ordering sight unseen from another country, but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 7:31:01 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
strmrdr you are hilarious! Maybe I will carry my own lighting box.

Anyone else seen real life comparisons??
you can carry your own light box its called an ideal-scope and ideal-lite :}

Btw I have compared other stones but that was the funniest one :}
Enough to say that I'm convinced that a well cut stone will look better across a wide range of lighting than lesser cut stones.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 3:45:44 PM
Author: strmrdr
I have a really well cut .15ct H&A diamond in my ring and it threw off more sparks then the typical .25 .33 pointers others had in the same lighting on the day I wore it too show someone.

In larger sizes the difference is even more.

But it really depends on the lighting some lighting will make any diamond look good but the best cuts look better across a wider range of lighting conditions.

Remember the top 6 things that effect diamond appearance are:

lighting

lighting

lighting

lighting

lighting

cut
You forgot cleanliness. Personally, I''d put it after the second "lighting."

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2008 4:25:43 PM
Author: urseberry

You forgot cleanliness. Personally, I''d put it after the second ''lighting.''
Oooh - good point! :)

Makes a heoooooge difference with my stone. Thought it was clean using jewellery dip daily... until I got a US cleaner - WOW!

x x x

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2008 2:32:02 PM
Author:dreamer_dachsie
Based on what you have seen in person, on your own finger and on others, or maybe in your work, or when out shopping, how noticeable do you think the difference is between AGS ideal or GIA Excellent cuts and ''ideal'' cut certs by the ''lesser houses'' like IGI, EGL, Gemscan etc? Did you notice a really big difference in sparkle, shine, arrows, and overall blingification?

I know I need to get out and see a bunch side-by-side myself, but before I hunt down those stones in Canada, which isn''t totally simple, I thought I''d just see what your experiences, impressions were.

Thanks!

DD
As someone who owns five new ideal cut ex/ex/ex from GIA and a pair of exs in the form of earring studs (one of which is also an AGS0), I think GIA is giving AGS a run for their money through the use of their new "Facetware Cut Estimator". My stones look just as beautiful and brilliant as any AGS stones that I''ve seen.
For more on GIA''s new Facetware Cut Estimator, visit http://www.diamondcut.gia.edu/06_estimating_a_cut_grade.html#lookup

I was also thrilled to find out that my five new thirty pointers, (four rated ex/ex/ex, one ex/ex/vg) also scored a 0.9 on the HCA calculator. I don''t think I happened to luck out. I believe that a GIA ex/ex/ex is comparable to an AGS0. But yes, it also depends on the individual stone, it''s color and it''s clarity.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I have a few ACA AGS0''s, some ideal AGS0''S and a few GIA ex/ex/ex. If there wasn''t a size difference, I wouldn''t be able to tell them apart. They ALL perform
beautifully. Now that doesn''t mean that I''d buy a GIA stone that''s graded an excellent without looking at the numbers and requesting an idealscope image, but
if all looks good, I would never hesitate.
I can''t tell you how EGL or IGI stones perform because I don''t own any and have never had a chance to really look at them for too long to make any type of comparision.
I will though say, that I don''t believe EGL or IGI is on par with GIA/AGS for color and clarity grades.
Also, maybe it''s just a mental thing, but I''m more comfortable with a GIA color/clarity than even AGS.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your replies folks! I was a bad OP and once this thread got off page 1 I didn''t check it! Your input is much appreciated.

I went with an AGS stone btw, after much agonizing. I''m happy with the decision and can''t wait to see my new stone in a couple of days! yippee

DD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results