shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh MAN! Get an Ice Cream Maker

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This recipe is the BEST ice cream I've ever had in my life.
So rich and creamy!!!!

There are easier recipes with no eggs or cooking but this is so much better!

Costco currently has 1.5 quart Cuisinart ice cream makers for only $39.99, and they include an extra freezer bowl (those are normally $20 each).
This is a super deal!!!

They are so cheap because there is no cooling condenser unit.
The cold comes from the special bowl you must keep in your freezer.
No salt, no melting ice making a mess, no cranking.
30 minutes run time.

In a medium saucepan combine
1.5 cup heavy cream
1.5 cup whole milk
1.5 teaspoon vanilla.
Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring often.

Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In medium bowl combine
2 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
Beat at medium speed with a hand mixer until it's thick, smooth and pale yellow, about 1.5 to 2 minutes.

Change mixer speed to low.
Very slowly pour in only one cup of the hot mixture.
When thoroughly combined pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the milk/cream mixture and stir.
Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Pour into a clean bowl.
Cover with plastic wrap that is actually touching the custard to seal out all air.
Refrigerate (do not freeze) a couple hours.
Also refrigerate two regular size Reese Peanut Butter Cups.

Turn on ice cream maker.
Pour in mixture.
Run for 25 minutes.
Chop Reese Peanut Butter Cups into fine pieces and add them while machine runs.
Run ice cream maker for a few more minutes.
Transfer ice cream to a container.
Freeze ice cream at least two hours to harden.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is it.
They also come in red.

ice cream maker.jpg

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I see you went for it. Enjoy, but remember the calories!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Oh my god Kenny I JUST got one!! The same style as yours, no cooler unit, just a bowl that's kept in the freezer.

For people this side of the pond, they were €25 in Lidl this week.

I made red wine and raspberry sorbet for my dad today (he's lactose intolerant). It worked perfectly and was delicious! I'm going to try your recipe next week, or a modified version at least, we don't get Reese's over here.

I also bought the Ben&Jerry's Ice Cream Recipe Book from Amazon! It looks fab, I can't wait to try some of their yummy recipes.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ice cream party at Kenny's!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gothgrrl said:
Ice cream party at Kenny's!

Just be sure to bring that guy in your avatar! Hubba Hubba.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny...this one's for you....

Bruce_Running.jpg

Do you think it HAS to be whole milk? Would skim work?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bean said:
Do you think it HAS to be whole milk? Would skim work?

I'm going to give that a try one day, and I'll bump this back up with a response.

I think that will save around 12 grams of fat.. or even 1% would be better!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
bean said:

I think a little irrelevant, given that you are already using heavy cream and so many eggs yolks? Cut too much cream it becomes a sorbet, ice slush. :razz:

I think with a ice cream maker, it allows you to play with the recipe to decide what combination is best for you. I make my own rum and raisin... :razz:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone-cold11 said:
bean said:

I think a little irrelevant, given that you are already using heavy cream and so many eggs yolks? Cut too much cream it becomes a sorbet, ice slush. :razz:

I think with a ice cream maker, it allows you to play with the recipe to decide what combination is best for you. I make my own rum and raisin... :razz:

There's this little shop in ocean city NJ where they make ice cream out of bananas.. something about freezing them beforehand and then pulverising them and aerating them in this contraption.. MAN that stuff is good. And no milk/cream/egg/sugar or anything added - literally just banana, it has the consistency of ice cream so long as it doesn't melt, then it gets gooey.. wonder how difficult it would be to make at home?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
liquid N2? :razz:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, yeah, I'll just pick some up from the grocer on my way from work...

Stone-cold11 said:
bean said:

I don't think so... If someone said "Here is ice cream- one with 50 grams of fat, and one with 38 grams of fat- same flavor" ... I would choose the 38 ;-) I am also just wondering because I only drink skim milk, so I would never have 1%, 2% or whole milk on hand.

I was wondering though if the skim would work with the heavy cream so it wouldn't be too runny? I'm not sure. I am putting an ice cream maker or bread maker on my wedding registry :)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mean more of the texture/favor and not the fat content. The recipe is already using heavy cream to bump up the fat content, might as well just use whole milk entirely and not buy heavy cream and then mix with skim milk or just use skim milk for the entire recipe and forget about the fat if you want to cut fat.

Fat is important in ice cream unless you want to use emulsifier etc... Which is why most low fat/fat free ice cream taste meh when compared to real ice cream... Choose your poison I guess.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Glad you are enjoying your ice cream maker, Kenny! It's the best!
I just made cherry vanilla ice cream with fresh cherries from the farmers market. It was a bit messy pitting and cutting the cherries, but oh, so worth it!

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Both fat and sugar help keep and icecream creamy when frozen so without a good balance of either you will either have an ice cream that is very soft or very hard when frozen. It is difficult to adapt recipes from whole milk to skim for this reason (I think if you were going to eat it soft-serve style straight from the machine it would be ok). If you have hard ice creams though adding a spirit can help, vodka is pretty good as it doesn't alter the flavour but other spirits can be used to add to the flavours too (a little alcohol goes a long way so any more than a tablespoon or two and it won't freeze at all).

If you don't have it already kenny I can't recommend David Levibotz's book The Perfect Scoop enough. A seemingly endless source of amazing recipes. :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results