shape
carat
color
clarity

Off centre culet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princesslover

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

Just got my new rock appraised...it''s a princess cut.

The appraiser (known to be the strictest in Canada...) said the culet was very slightly off centre, and that''s the only reason she didn''t appraise it as an "excellent cut", which is their top cut grade.

My question is, since the GIA did not report this, and had graded symmetry as "very good" is this enough to impact the beauty of the stone? Would that be why it didn''t get an "excellent" symmetry in the first place?
I thought an off centre culet was a major symmetry issue and would then have a lower symmetry rating?!

How much is "acceptable" for a culet to be off centre?

Hope someone can help!!

Thanks a lot!
33.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/22/2004 6:24:50 PM
Author:princesslover
the culet was very slightly off centre, and that''s the only reason she didn''t appraise it as an ''excellent cut'', which is their top cut grade.

I thought an off centre culet was a major symmetry issue and would then have a lower symmetry rating?!
It all depends on how much off-center the culet is. A culet that is noticeably off-center under 10 x which is noticed immediately
is a major symmetry feature. Yours was only "very slightly off center".

princesslover

Rough_Rock
Probably true - do you know if it affects the stone''s performance greatly, or would it, with symmetry of "VG" not have a great impact?

The stone looks great to me, but I am not sure I can compare without having another stone next to it...
And now I am just wondering if it has a negative impact on the light return and so forth.

Thanks again for any help!!

princesslover

Rough_Rock
Also, I asuume it wasn''t very noticable since GIA didn''t note it , and it still has a high symmetry rating.

But one more question, how many % off centre is accepted as slight enough that it doesn''t adversely affect the appearance?

princesslover

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/22/2004 8:57:59 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
It is not a numeric thing - most times it is a result of the table having a very slight tilt and this is usualy not even visible to an expert.
But on the other hand it can show up like the exapmples here http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_fancy.asp
Hi Garry,
I''m a big fan...spoke to Dave Atlas (who''s been VERY generous wih his time!) and he speaks highly of you as well...

My Ideal scope image is nothing as bad as the bad examples there, but has more leakage on one side than the other - when I posted it earlier on Diamond Talk no one mentioned off center culets as the reason for this...

But the appraiser told me there was no significant leakage on the one side as opposed to the other. I asked her about this because I was basically told by other members on this forum it would be a total "dud"! And when I asked Dave, he said that pattern on my ideal scope photo could add to scintillation.

And it certainly sparkles in all different colors!

I guess what I am asking is, is the off center culet, even so small that it still has a "VG" symmetry, enough to cause any concern?!

And what on earth does "is&nbsp" mean?!...
Thanks again for your input
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results