carat
color
clarity

OEC vs AVR what do you prefer?

rubyjim

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi!!
I have recently purchased my first antique cushion and should have it soon!!!
But I’m afraid I may have caught the bug here and already am thinking about my next one.
I am in love with OEC’s but have seen the comparison to AVR’s.
What is the difference? Is it just a matter of old versus new?
Please post pictures of your OEC or AVR for comparison! Some of your avatars are what got me in the first place!! (think Diamondseeker2006, Kathley :love: etc etc) Thank you so much!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an OEC and a AVR of similar size. I love them both. They are different flavors though. The AVR is very precise and has a very classic flower pattern. My OEC is not as symmetrical as my AVR, and it looks more like a chrysanthemum, but she's very firey. Their colors are different too my OEC is an L and my AVR is a J. If I could pick which one I like the best, I'd sell the other, but I can't make up my mind.

OEC:
sam_0367.jpg

AVR:
7A1BB800-4E4F-4BBA-899F-5B22DD6536F5.jpeg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On man the AVRs are gorgeous

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the chunky cushion look which is why I got an antique cushion cut. OEC and AVR are gorgeous, as are AVCs. But I like the idea of buying an old diamond as opposed to ripping one out of the earth.

rubyjim

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Starfacet!!! Well now I am totally smitten with your ring as well! We can be smitten with it together! Oh my gosh it’s amazing and I love the setting!!
Iluvshinythings you actually have one of each!!?? My word. They are both so so beautiful and your descriptive comparison of them is very helpful, thank you!!!
So are AVR’s cut to look like OEC’s?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starfacet!!! Well now I am totally smitten with your ring as well! We can be smitten with it together! Oh my gosh it’s amazing and I love the setting!!
So are AVR’s cut to look like OEC’s?
Thanks @rubyjim!! I just realized I can show you a pendant and studs that I have. The pendant is an OEC from a local second hand jewelry store here in Dallas that I frequently (too frequently!) shop at. The studs are half carat each AVRs. They are a perfect match as you can see!
IMG_20180928_154959.jpg

0126180936a.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two largest diamonds are an AVR and an antique asscher, so I am happy with new and old antique style stones as long as they are very well cut! Just as there are superideal cut rounds today, there are also poorly cut modern rounds. So while I like excellent cut antique stones, they are harder to find. Of course, newly cut OECs are not plentiful, either!

Here are my two AVRs:

IMG_3521(Edited).jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me... there’s just something heartwarmingly charming about genuine antique stones that aren’t quite perfect. Some asymmetry, a little wear on the facet meets, maybe a slightly off-center culet... :kiss2:

Yoram cuts new stones to resemble genuine antiques. I once saw a parcel of baby OMBs cut to look like vintage stones - a bit wonky, a bit nicked, a bit worn. I’m lusting after this pair of pears - I just can’t justify it right now:
https://gemconcepts.net/diamond-boutique/mismatched-pair-old-mine-pear-cut-diamonds/

I don’t have the same sentiment toward settings though - I prefer modern precision of execution and workmanship, even of antique mount styles. I couldn’t tell you why, and I acknowledge that this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense!

Reactions: EC8

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could afford either in a large size! Both are beautiful but I love the history associated with an OEC.

twang07

Shiny_Rock
I have an OEC. I think the biggest difference between older OECs and AVRs is the facet symmetry. In AVRs I can generally see more similarities in the facet arrangement from stone to stone. If you look at jewelsbygrace or loveaffair diamonds each OEC will look pretty different and then you also have the fun of trying to find a winner! AVRs have this consistent beautiful floral petals. Probably more consistent with light return properties. They definitely have different 'feels'. I love them both! I only have an OEC right now and here's my stone!

3BE162C6-667E-4932-A8E3-B895A2E77A3C.jpeg

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
B9FD084D-F477-4B45-B3CD-1E0328F43F50.jpeg BDE69A42-7E29-45F8-9E70-335180E675AF.jpeg B1A2A3D9-FB80-40E7-9B8E-8995B1A792F1.png
I have an OEC. I think the biggest difference between older OECs and AVRs is the facet symmetry. In AVRs I can generally see more similarities in the facet arrangement from stone to stone. If you look at jewelsbygrace or loveaffair diamonds each OEC will look pretty different and then you also have the fun of trying to find a winner! AVRs have this consistent beautiful floral petals. Probably more consistent with light return properties. They definitely have different 'feels'. I love them both! I only have an OEC right now and here's my stone!

3BE162C6-667E-4932-A8E3-B895A2E77A3C.jpeg

Oh wow! Did you reset recently? It’s fabulous. What colour is your stone again? I need to set mine and can’t decide between yellow or white. Mine is an L.

I think similarly to twang - in my Oec I was looking for similar optical qualities as avr’s. Same same but different!

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah I love all of these. Personally I prefer OECs to the ideal cut ones for no good reason that I can work out other than something about the original ones just speaks to me. Mine is an OEC and definitely not the classic type - it’s shallow, spready, lowish crown but still has the flower petals and is bright and sparkly as heck. I love it (but still find myself yearning for bigger which annoys me immensely!)
559F430E-781A-4E05-BE79-02C24D4C6AF9.jpeg

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I’ve heard about the shrinking diamond syndrome and I’m dreading it

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to set mine and can’t decide between yellow or white. Mine is an L.

I think similarly to twang - in my Oec I was looking for similar optical qualities as avr’s. Same same but different!
I love your OEC. How are you looking to set it - halo or solitaire? What’re its stats other than L?

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Ah thanks! Well I’m thinking under halo, but I’m not sure how to go about it as it’s a peg head and I can’t decide to go two tone or just all yellow gold. It’s a 1.12ct si1, L no flour :roll2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh this is the eternal question for some here. Personally, I appreciate both but am an OEC girl through and through. They are different and to me look different. An AVR is clinically perfect. Ideal light return. You cannot find fault with the optics. An OEC not so much. They can be (and usually are) a bit wonky and it comes through in their personality. I see the right OEC and my heart goes flip flop. I see an AVR and I appreciate it's beauty but it leaves me slightly cold. Don't get me wrong I think AVRs are beautiful but they don't feel right for me if that makes sense. Optically perfect but does not make my heart flutter in that excited way whereas the (right) OEC wows me.

I also love the fact that is was loved before and that no resources were taken to make a new one. It's the greener (haha hopefully not literally unless one wants a green diamond and nothing wrong with that :cheeky:) choice. And to me OEC exudes romance. Maybe because it has such a rich history. Like an interesting older person who has lived and has the experience and wisdom that comes with age vs the newborn baby that has a long road to travel to get to that stage. Or perhaps I am just crazy. :oops2:

Not to disparage either choice because if I had never seen OECs I would probably be over the moon gaga with AVRs but having seen the difference for me it's OEC. Though if someone gave me an AVR I would not complain.:lol:

My (perfect for me) OEC.

The colors she enjoys showing off are amazing.

In the car.

bubbalahincar2.jpg.png

In the garden. (Her bright bubbly personality shines through no matter the environment (and even when she needs to be cleaned :oops2:).
bubbalahcolorsoutsidejpg.png

I love her and her OEC deliciousness. She is bubbalahlicious to me.

By the sea with my dh and me.:kiss2:
missyandgregandbubbalah.jpg

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love OEC's! My preference is for the ones that the facet patterns are closest to those of the AVR's. I also love that my OEC has a history of someone who has worn my stone many, many years ago. I wish there was a way that this history could have been known for my OEC =)

F.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm lucky enough to have both an OEC and an AVR. The OEC was my great grandmother's, and it has a chipped girdle, facet wear, and could use a good polishing, but the light show is pretty darn good considering how long ago it was initially cut. I've been lucky enough to own a 0.59ct, a 0.81ct, and now a 1.767ct AVR. I love and appreciate them both in their own way - the scientist in me loves the precision of the AVR, the romantic in me loves the history and uniqueness of the OEC.

This is my gr-grandmother's OEC, pics taken with my cheapo H&A viewer and "idealscope". It really is quite beautiful in real life, still in it's original setting too!

grandmothers OEC.JPG IMG_1174.JPG

This is my current AVR (also in my avatar):
IMG_3304.JPG

The AVR is "perfect" - perfect symmetry, perfect light performance. I can appreciate that. :love:

twang07

Shiny_Rock
:kiss2:
B9FD084D-F477-4B45-B3CD-1E0328F43F50.jpeg BDE69A42-7E29-45F8-9E70-335180E675AF.jpeg B1A2A3D9-FB80-40E7-9B8E-8995B1A792F1.png

Oh wow! Did you reset recently? It’s fabulous. What colour is your stone again? I need to set mine and can’t decide between yellow or white. Mine is an L.

Beautiful stone! I'm glad you found your winner! My stone is a J. It's been in this setting forever. For what it's worth, I personally wish I went two tone. Excited to see how you set yours!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love OEC's! My preference is for the ones that the facet patterns are closest to those of the AVR's. I also love that my OEC has a history of someone who has worn my stone many, many years ago. I wish there was a way that this history could have been known for my OEC =)

F.jpg
Gorgeous faceting

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh this is the eternal question for some here. Personally, I appreciate both but am an OEC girl through and through. They are different and to me look different. An AVR is clinically perfect. Ideal light return. You cannot find fault with the optics. An OEC not so much. They can be (and usually are) a bit wonky and it comes through in their personality. I see the right OEC and my heart goes flip flop. I see an AVR and I appreciate it's beauty but it leaves me slightly cold. Don't get me wrong I think AVRs are beautiful but they don't feel right for me if that makes sense. Optically perfect but does not make my heart flutter in that excited way whereas the (right) OEC wows me.

I also love the fact that is was loved before and that no resources were taken to make a new one. It's the greener (haha hopefully not literally unless one wants a green diamond and nothing wrong with that :cheeky:) choice. And to me OEC exudes romance. Maybe because it has such a rich history. Like an interesting older person who has lived and has the experience and wisdom that comes with age vs the newborn baby that has a long road to travel to get to that stage. Or perhaps I am just crazy. :oops2:

Not to disparage either choice because if I had never seen OECs I would probably be over the moon gaga with AVRs but having seen the difference for me it's OEC. Though if someone gave me an AVR I would not complain.:lol:

My (perfect for me) OEC.

The colors she enjoys showing off are amazing.

In the car.

bubbalahincar2.jpg.png

In the garden. (Her bright bubbly personality shines through no matter the environment (and even when she needs to be cleaned :oops2:).
bubbalahcolorsoutsidejpg.png

I love her and her OEC deliciousness. She is bubbalahlicious to me.

By the sea with my dh and me.:kiss2:
missyandgregandbubbalah.jpg
Basically an AVR model

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AVRs are beautiful consistently. Amazing light return. I would love one. I keep forgetting. I do have one, a little one. .59 J IF on a pendant. Perfection.

I also have an OEC, 3.04 K. I remember the first time I saw it. That feeling of “WOW.” I get what all the fuss is about. Up until then, I had only seen mediocre OECs. I kept thinking of how amazing it was that this stone was cut almost 100 years ago. And it looks THIS good. Why aren’t ALL stones cut this way? I kept thinking that. I didn’t buy it at that time. I never forgot it. Then 6 months later I had the opportunity to upgrade and I thought about that stone. I was sure it had sold. Then Adam said he still had it. He sent it to me. I opened up the FedEx package and thought, “oh my god, this could be mine...”. I think that is the closest to falling in Love I have ever been. I sent it back cause of color issues and tried another stone, a higher colored one but it just didn’t have the faceting I loved. So sorry for the drawn out story. I know AVRs are perfect. But I am in love with MK. I guess until another stone makes me feel that way, I will go with OEC.
9C7646F6-D369-481A-97E8-22B412154E62.jpeg

Attachments

• 3F6242DA-1FC3-47FF-A5A7-A3B91ABC91F3.jpeg
    3F6242DA-1FC3-47FF-A5A7-A3B91ABC91F3.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 27

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom would you mind posting a picture of the pendant?

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
OEC. I’m drawn to the needle-in-a-haystack hunt to find the right OEC that speaks to me and I adore the wonkiness and charm intrinsic to the lack of modern precision/perfection. I also appreciate the history.

I’m considering a pair of AVRs for studs though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results