shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC too small for VC Sophia style setting?

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pricescopers,
Long-time lurker of these boards and admirer of the amazing creations posted here.
I've finally bitten the bullet and bought myself a beautiful LAD OEC that I love to bits.

I fell in love with the Erika Winters Minna setting
screen_shot_2016-08-27_at_5.png
from the JbG website and have since discovered the Victor Canera and Leon Mege french cut pieces with double prongs.
My question is mainly opinion based, but as I have seen many of these settings holding 2ct+ stones (mainly cushions), I was wondering whether a 1.71ct OEC would look a little small in it?
I have contacted David Klass who has provided a fantastic quote, but will reach out to VC and LM if they would set my stone.

It's a beautiful stone but is on the 7.5mm side of the chart and I have a size 4 finger.
A few pictures below, but looking for some opinions on whether I should save myself for a larger stone (inevitable!) in a 10(ish) years time.

Thank you! :wavey:

img_7519.jpg
img_8449.jpg
img_8644.jpg

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Ultimately it's a matter of preference, but I was going to say I recall a high-end jewelry store that used to carry a similar setting and they wouldn't made it with stones smaller than 1.5 cts. So that would be my rough benchmark.

Ask Erika, VC and LM directly. I am confident they can tell you what stone size works best from their experience.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got a 7.50mm pink tourmaline cushion set in a VC Sophia this is what it looks like, the ring is a small size 5;

victor_canera_sophia_and_michelle_rings.jpg

This is the original diamond that was in the setting;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-beautiful-victor-canera-sophia-featuring-a-gog-avc.163728/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-beautiful-victor-canera-sophia-featuring-a-gog-avc.163728/[/URL]

And this link has a range of centre stone sizes with French cut sides;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-2011-trend-the-french-sides-collection.161358/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-2011-trend-the-french-sides-collection.161358/[/URL]

I think on a size 4 finger it takes up enough finger real estate that it would work..... This for example is a smaller stone than yours with Carre cut sides;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-2011-trend-the-french-sides-collection.161358/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-2011-trend-the-french-sides-collection.161358/[/URL]

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will look great, especially since you have a very small size. Your stone looks really big on your hand. Ask Victor and LM to be sure.

Victor made a Sophia for my OEC and I am still amazed by the beauty and craftmanship. My center stone is 5.3 ct, but I also love the elegance of a smaller center stone for the Sophia, like the one Arkieb has!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will look great, especially since you have a very small size. Your stone looks really big on your hand. Ask Victor and LM to be sure.

Victor made a Sophia for my OEC and I am still amazed by the beauty and craftmanship. My center stone is 5.3 ct, but I also love the elegance of a smaller center stone for the Sophia, like the one Arkieb has!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your 1.7 OEC is just fine in the Sophia. Victor or Leon will scale the setting and all the side stones to be in proportion to your stone, which is why for a setting like the Sophia you should only do custom. They find and/or cut side stones to the right sizes to make sure the ring as a whole looks proportional. Can't wait to see it. It will be stunning!!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
They should scale the ring down according to center stone size and finger size, however it may not have the same aesthetics you like (due to size). But this is something you should discuss with the jeweler. Since you like the Minna, why not get a quote from the designer, Erika Winters?

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your replies!

edelweissmaedl: Thank you for the information - my OEC does face up a little smaller than other OECs I've seen, but I have a beautiful tall, pillowy crown to thank for that! I will reach out to VC and LM. I have already spoken with Erika and she said it would be doable.

arkieb1: Thank you for the links! they are very helpful and I could stare at those pictures all day! I do hope that I can add to those threads one day. Your tourmaline is beautiful! It still has that wonderful sense of grandeur that I love about this setting.

Acing: Thank you, I find that it pictures larger than it looks in real life but it's a beautiful stone. I will reach out to LM and VC today :)

LLJsmom: That sounds great. Who would you chose out of VC or LM? VC seems to be the popular choice and his craftsmanship looks just wonderful.

Resonance.Of.Life: The aesthetics was my main concern. I did speak with Erika and she quotes $10,500 USD (I'm in Australia) for the setting, so it would work out to be around $14kAUD for me. While I understand the beauty in her work, that is a little out of my budget and almost 2x as much as my diamond cost me. David Klass came back with a quote a little under $4kUSD so around $6kAUD. I would imagine VC to be somewhere in the middle of those? But not sure as I've never seen a price on one of his pieces.

I'll reach out to VC today and let you all know how I progress! Thank you for your advice and expertise!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I think you are fine. That stle is similar to a Tiffany ring with step cuts.

I tried one on at Joe Escobar that was 1.5 carats and it looked lovely

I think both VC and LM are going to be up there in price. They wont be anywhere near DK in price.

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gypsy,
Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure what sort of quote to expect from VC though. David Klass came in at just under $4kUSD so ideally I would like something between this and the Erika Winters quote of $10,500 although like you said, I think his quote will be closer to EW.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
VC and Leon will be around the same pricing as Erika. French cuts are not cheap (haha I know because I am working on a project with them and I was quoted over 12k for the ring, but I have a complicated gallery too ;-) ). I know I am out of the norm when it comes to paying though the nose for a setting, but I can tell you I appreciate the details and the minute details in these hand-forged pieces that make it seem like only elves would have piece the ring together.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best to wait for the quotes. 3 years ago I bought mine for 8.500$ from VC for a 5.3 ct stone. SK quoted about the same and LM 12.500$. LM uses high dome as a standard I think while VC and SK use the regular frenchies.

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
VC came back with a quote of $8,695USD ($11kAUD) which is what I was hoping for. I don't think I would want to go much higher than that.

Acinom: that's good to know. I love the look of the High Dome french cuts. I will reach out to LM and see, just because I hate the feeling of regret!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
McLaren|1472781034|4072441 said:
VC came back with a quote of $8,695USD ($11kAUD) which is what I was hoping for. I don't think I would want to go much higher than that.

Acinom: that's good to know. I love the look of the High Dome french cuts. I will reach out to LM and see, just because I hate the feeling of regret!

Did you ask Victor if he'd do high dome french cuts? If not, I would ask him the difference in cost. I really prefer him over LM. I have seen one of his FC settings and it was really gorgeous even with the regular FCs!

One thing I want to ask you. You mentioned the idea of getting a larger diamond later on. I think if this is your forever ring, it is maybe worth spending $8k on the setting. But I absolutely would not pay that much if you think you will upgrade to a larger stone later. I'd get the fabulous setting on the final diamond, personally.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with DS. If you are planning an upgrade I would not spend so much on a setting.

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
Thank you DiamondSeeker and Gypsy.
This isn't a forever ring as such, in fact I am already married, but I have told my other half that I would like more than one ring to wear. He is open to that, as long as I wear something on that finger he doesn't mind. So this project is completely my idea and my funds.
I have always had my eye on an AVC, but think that this will be a few years away.
I will need to spend some time researching the differences of the french cuts - I have looked at a few threads already but don't want to rush and regret.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VC can do high dome too! For my large stone it was a difference of 1.000$ (again: this was 3 years ago). The regulars are really beautiful too and I decided against high dome because of the pricing.

Did you find the '2011 french cut sides trend' thread. I have posted a comparison pic from VC in it that compares 3 kinds of french cuts.

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Acinom, yes I saw the thread and have had a thorough read.
I reached out to SK and he came back with $8k USD also.
I think if i were to go with the High Dome french stones I might ask DK if he is able to use them. That way I can have the more desirable frenchies and still come in under budget. I saw he did a beautiful french cut setting with a garnet (i think) oval cut which looked beautiful.

I'm also going to have to do a bit of research on the basket, as I would like something not too simple, but also secure and pretty.

You have all been such a great help! I will surely keep you updated once my mind is made up :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results