shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC Moissies: AV vs. MoCo?

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK, gang - I'm going to get an OEC moissy, and I was planning on getting an AVR, but recent posts have thrown me in doubt. @Slick1, in your recent sale post for the moissy/sapphire target ring, you said the OEC from MoCo was prettier than your two AVR moissies. Would you go into a little more detail about that, please? How was it prettier - was it crisper? Did you like the facet pattern better? Was it "livelier"? I'm looking for any info I can get on the differences. Anyone who has info, please chime in.

Thanks!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, gang - I'm going to get an OEC moissy, and I was planning on getting an AVR, but recent posts have thrown me in doubt. @Slick1, in your recent sale post for the moissy/sapphire target ring, you said the OEC from MoCo was prettier than your two AVR moissies. Would you go into a little more detail about that, please? How was it prettier - was it crisper? Did you like the facet pattern better? Was it "livelier"? I'm looking for any info I can get on the differences. Anyone who has info, please chime in.

Thanks!

I think either one would be good. I do have two AVRs so was surprised when I saw a MoCo OEC and was blown away by its performance. The center facets were very distinct and it didn’t go dark at all. The flowery pattern was very pleasing and it was very lively. I would be very happy with the MoCo and in fact considered keeping that target ring just for the stone. I’ve had many Moissy OECs and the AVRs and the MoCo were my faves. Hope I helped!
Here’s a pic of the MoCo faceting
F4D56EB5-82BF-47F4-ABAD-B74AB656D360.jpeg

And one of my AVRs
9D277320-7B88-4446-BDD9-CBB306189B67.jpeg

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think either one would be good. I do have two AVRs so was surprised when I saw a MoCo OEC and was blown away by its performance. The center facets were very distinct and it didn’t go dark at all. The flowery pattern was very pleasing and it was very lively. I would be very happy with the MoCo and in fact considered keeping that target ring just for the stone. I’ve had many Moissy OECs and the AVRs and the MoCo were my faves. Hope I helped!

And one of my AVRs

Thank you so much for answering! One more quick question, if you don't mind: would you say there was a difference in the crispness between the two stones? For me, that is the one area that keeps hooking me back to diamonds is that incredibly crisp mirror quality they have that moissies don't seem to quite capture. I know that no moissy is going to be as crisp as a diamond, but I think the one that I would be happiest with is the one that comes closer.......

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I have to confess that my AVR Moissanite wasn't crisp enough for me. It was beautiful in it's own right but I sold it too @Slick1 to save for a diamond. So if this is about your engagement ring I would probably get a diamond if feasable. If it's a rhr I would go Moissanite =)2 but safest is to just order an OEC Moissanite and decide yourself!

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I have neither vendor, but I did have an OEC that I could kick myself for ever selling. It’s from Starsgem and was $143 last year. I think it’s 180something now.
B6E225EA-0DAA-4853-9038-A57F86D651F9.jpeg 7B37729F-D736-44BA-8C22-A0CE1DBBE019.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had an issue with my OEC Moissanite and obstruction in the middle, it constantly had dark facets when I looked at it straight on. Drove me insane, but it was a Harro and I know they are not preferable. Maybe it was a cutting issue. Sorry, I'm kind of just talking out loud here lol!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to chime in that I recently compared an AVR OEC moissy with a Tianyu. I would say that the AVR was a little nicer, but honestly to my eye, just a tiny bit. They both sometimes got dark in the center in certain light, the Tianyu a bit more so than the AVR but not much. What I actually preferred about the Tianyu was that it had a bigger hole from the open culet while the AVR had a spot that looked more like a tiny bubble. I had some unexpected expenses come up and I wasn't able to justify the 6x cost difference for the AVR.

As was said above, if it's for an engagement I would get the best, but if this is just a fun ring, I think Tianyu is a strong contender.

In this pic the AVR is on top, Tianyu in the setting.

20190928_090626.jpg

Attachments

• 20190916_223920.jpg
    20190916_223920.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 162
Q

Queenie60

hbg86XaCQlWWziq7fCsU+w.jpg This is my AVR from Jonathan and I must say the performance of the stone is outstanding. @Rhino told me that I would love it and he's correct. Ive taken it in the sunshine, indoor lighting and it shows no signs of being dark in the center. Forgive my awful photography. Q

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I have never had an AV, but I had a MoCo OEC, which I returned, and then one from Tianyu. IMO, the Tianyu stone was better, especially for the money. I could have just had a lemon from MoCo, but I did not find it to be very lively at all. However, they have a good return policy (whereas Tianyu doesn't), so you could always order one to try. Here's a picture of the Tianyu stone.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock

And one of my AVRs
Off topic , but @Slick1 I looove that setting for the AVR! Is there a thread?(if so, how did I miss that?!!). I think we have similiar tastes! ;-)

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I've had an OEC AVR and a couple from MoCo. I prefer the MoCo cut as I too prefer an open culet, a large culet actually, and lots of kozibe. They have lively petals too. I did exchange one MoCo when I got a dud , but it was an easy exchange. The AVR had less of the moissanite rainbow and was a great light performer, but I didn't realize the AVR has a closed culet, or I probably would not have bought one in the first place. For me, the MoCo wins simply because the cut is the early oec cut that I prefer.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off topic , but @Slick1 I looove that setting for the AVR! Is there a thread?(if so, how did I miss that?!!). I think we have similiar tastes! ;-)

Thank you! We def have the same taste in rings! I have your AVR ring saved to my ring folder. :love:
I do not have a thread but I did post it here and in the DK thread. There is a similar setting for sale with a 10.5 Moissy on LT. I spoke with that owner (sparkly friend) because she reached out to me for inspiration for that ring and then she improved it so nicely that I then used hers! :lol: I needed a touch of rose gold in my life. I love it too! I call her Rosie!
So looking forward to seeing your new sparkle bomb in her new setting! When will it be ready?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@OboeGal here's a photo of a MoCo compared to an AVR. Sorry, kind of blurry. (I no longer have either ring).
20191018_081633.jpg

@Slick1 still in CAD process...but It's getting closer!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@OboeGal here's a photo of a MoCo compared to an AVR. Sorry, kind of blurry. (I no longer have either ring).
20191018_081633.jpg

Wait...did you get rid of your new AV ring already? I assume this is because of the diamond upgrade. I loved that ring. It seems like you just got that one!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@swaye2010 Yes, I sold it to help fund the setting for my new oec. (My dh told me he preferred diamond to moissanite , a comment that cost him! ) < insert laughing emoji, cuz I haven't figured out that upgrade yet>
The PSer who bought my AVR liked it enough that she had asked DK for a quote to make one, so I hope she is enjoying it!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010 Yes, I sold it to help fund the setting for my new oec. (My dh told me he preferred diamond to moissanite , a comment that cost him! ) < insert laughing emoji, cuz I haven't figured out that upgrade yet>
The PSer who bought my AVR liked it enough that she had asked DK for a quote to make one, so I hope she is enjoying it!
I am glad that it went to another PSer and figured that must be the reason. I will wait for pictures of your next sparkly upgrade then. I can’t wait to see what you come up with. If there was an emoji for a bezel convert, it would be inserted here! Great taste!

shicara

Rough_Rock
Silly question - can someone help me understand MOCO?
Just learning here :)

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Moissanite & Company
(MOCO)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Sure MoCo is Moissanite Company, an online retailer.

shicara

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for clarifying that.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
20191018_081633.jpg

Um can we talk about those bands?! The bottom one with the boxes is to die for.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@CSpan aw, thank you! The engraved band was made by David Klass, the eternity is antique, a special gift from my husband this year for our 25th anniversary. I wear it 24/7, love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results