shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC for $5K

joelly

Ideal_Rock
My dream of a 3ct OEC has been put in a temporary moratorium. So to tie me over, I am only allowed to spend $5K toward satisfying this urge. Hubby, who is imposing such moratorium, said to find something that will allow me to upgrade. I’m not liking this idea since I’m a one and done kind of person.

Has anything like this happen to you? What would you do?

Reactions: AV_

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
My dream of a 3ct OEC has been put in a temporary moratorium. So to tie me over, I am only allowed to spend $5K toward satisfying this urge. Hubby, who is imposing such moratorium, said to find something that will allow me to upgrade. I’m not liking this idea since I’m a one and done kind of person.

Has anything like this happen to you? What would you do?

I would buy what I like. If I cannot afford it now, I would wait, save up, and then buy what I like. Hubby or no hubby. I make my own moratoriums.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
From my todo list: there are a couple of stones I love, that hardly ever get to cost as much [& since they can happen at any time, they never do.], then, I'd take a smallish table cut diamond for a ride - since they are so uncommon, I'd rather sample their feel to get rid of the idea one way or another.

Or nothing.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I have the $$$ for a nice 3 ct ish and was ready to go and spend it. But then hubby wasn’t comfortable of me spending it in the midst of a pandemic. Le sigh...

Reactions: AV_

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I would wait until this is over and then get what I first intended. I know myself and would likely be not only unsatisfied but even more frustrated by a lesser placeholder.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wait...if you have the money just want till this pandemic settles down and gets back to normal (or the new normal). Heck, it could take you
that long to find the right 3 carat OEC!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Le sigh...

So be it. Perhaps keep looking? I sort of remember from another thread that none of he stones was a great surprise.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
Keep searching for your dream diamond and if you find one that you fall in love with then you could use the $5k for layaway so that you don't miss your chance.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. Today I’ve been really tired. Work at home plus a fussy baby took a toll on me. The Sjogren flares up too as a result of a tiring day.

This urge won’t stop me from looking. So I’ll keep looking. I have asked help from a psers vendor. There is also a local jeweler with a passion for antique diamonds.

I guess an OEC is pretty hard to find. I warned hubby though, next year I probably will graduate to 4 ct (just kidding though). Anything above 3.5 ct would look ridiculous on me. Unless it’s an Octavia. ;-)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
This urge won’t stop me from looking. So I’ll keep looking. I have asked help from a psers vendor. There is also a local jeweler with a passion for antique diamonds.

Never, ever anything wrong with just looking

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the $$$ for a nice 3 ct ish and was ready to go and spend it. But then hubby wasn’t comfortable of me spending it in the midst of a pandemic. Le sigh...

I would not buy anything right now then. Wait til this is over and then buy exactly what you want to buy as originally planned. Don't "waste" 5K of your bling budget on a temporary hold over.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I would not buy anything right now then. Wait til this is over and then buy exactly what you want to buy as originally planned. Don't "waste" 5K of your bling budget on a temporary hold over.

You’re right.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re right.

@joelly when all this is over and it will be you are going to find the diamond of your dreams. I have no doubt of that. And we will be with you every step of the way if you want us to...and I am very much looking forward to you finding the stone that makes your heart and soul sing.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
next year I probably will graduate to 4 ct (just kidding though).

... some very small 4 carat stones are very beautiful - and slightly discounted for their spread (just a note)

Looking forward to anything

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It’s a great thing to be patient until the way opens (I am not good at that).

But in the meantime, do you already have a setting in mind? If not, maybe pass the time with a focus on the details of your metal of choice, the intricacies of design, and the pairings you want for your future stone. It’s so satisfying to know that when you find your stone, you have considered each element in great detail.

Enjoy your journey with this!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such sage advice coming from very wise women indeed. I agree that waiting to get exactly the perfect stone for you is best. I also second the idea of curating the entire piece while you wait. You have such beautiful rings to wear and enjoy in the meantime. Maybe decide which elements you love the most of each so you’ll know exactly what you need in this next ring. Why settle? :)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I waited 40 years for my dream OEC :lol: I’d wait till I could get what I really wanted rather than soothing the itch for now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results