shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC die-struck ring- any guess as to age?

rustyshrapnel

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend (now fiancee) decided to make me the happiest lady in the land, and surprised me with this lovely vintage ring. The appraisal report states:

"Vintage filigree three stone ring. Appears to be die struck and assembled. Floral detailed on entire shank with an octagon center plate surrounded by an air-line. 3 diamonds are bead set. Die struck engraved appearance over all surfaces. Stamped “White Rose 18K”, all white gold, 2.3dwt. 2mm shank. 9.16mm wide across the top. Currently fits size 6 with spacer in place inside shank. (Re-size, OK). Ring mounting is in very good condition. Examined in person by this appraiser 9/16/2012. One Old European Cut round diamond app 5 x 3.3mm est 0.50ct. K/L brown tint, SI clarity, eye-clean. Two modern cut, round, full cut diamonds est 0.09ctw, I/J-VS2 types GIA."

I know the center stone isn't perfect, but I didn't want a perfect diamond. I think it's the most beautiful ring in the entire world and I love him for choosing it. The metalwork on the ring isn't done justice by these photos. It's in great shape. I've been trying to get a handle on the approximate age of the ring. Researching online makes me think it may be Edwardian (?) or at least be struck from a die from that period, but it's made out of white gold and most of the sources I've found say that platinum was the dominant metal of choice for that period. Any help you experienced folks could offer is much appreciated. :))

img_20130331_140240_360.jpg

img_20130402_205636_300.jpg

img_20130402_220229_603.jpg

img_20130402_205852_184.jpg

img_20130402_205830_324.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, that is a gorgeous ring! I love all the detail on the setting. Sorry I'm of no help when it comes to dating it, but I think you are on to something with the white gold. It's probably a later piece based on that factor. Anyway, I just wanted to share my admiration for it. Looks beautiful on you, congrats!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Whiterose was the name of a jewelry manufacturer. From time to time you will come across some of their wedding bands on ebay and etsy. The ones I have seen are from the 1930s and 1940s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Diamond-Engagement-Solitaire-Ring-Art-Deco-White-Rose-Vintage-18k-Bridal-/171013363592?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item27d130d788

Above is an example of a diamond ring on ebay. See second row - last picture for manufacturers mark. Their jewelry was very beautiful.
There is a matching wedding band for sale.

rustyshrapnel

Rough_Rock
Gemfever: Thank you! That's high praise indeed considering the amazing OEC ring you're sporting, which looks simply fabulous on you. :))

Ruby: Yes! That's it- I wouldn't even have thought "white rose" was a company; I figured it was just some proprietary name for the white gold or a branding style for the ring itself given all the floral details. This is great. Now I can pinpoint the age much more accurately. Thank you very much!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is absolutely gorgeous!! Your FI did really well! Congrats on your engagement and your lovely sparkly!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
he picked that out all by himself!?!?! major kudos to him. its lovely and in my mind nothing can beat having a lovely piece with real history to it :appl:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring!

The fact that the sidestones are modern round brilliants may be evidence that it's from the 1930s or later, as well, unless those are replacements for stones that were originally in the ring.

It doesn't matter whether it's older vintage or newer vintage, it's lovely.

liz

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is an absolutely gorgeous ring!!! :love:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I would say it's late Edwardian/early Art Deco. We see more of an emphasis in bold geometry on the front of the ring and then that wonderful whimsical (and very Edwardian) detail on the profile of the ring. White gold was used in the both periods. Pretty piece, enjoy!

rustyshrapnel

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! I do love it. He had a little help from my twin sister, who knows my tastes moreso than most. She steered him towards vintage because she knew I wanted a unique piece with character, but he took care of the rest himself. ;-)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was also going to say it looks like the 1930s to me, but I have no solid backing :lol: Seems to be at the end of the Deco period there was a revival of some of the edwardian styles... just basing this off my own perusing of vintage jewelery.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results