shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC brooch, take it apart or leave it as is?

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn’t resist this little beauty. I am a big fan of old brooches and pins but I must admit, I don‘t wear them often. I take them out of the box at home and admire their beauty, that is what I do.
With this newest acquisition I‘m unsure what to do. The stones are small but beautiful.

Option 1: convert into a pendant (three stones) and tiny studs.
Option 2: convert into a 5 stone ring.
Option 3: leave as is.

What is your thought on that? I‘d love your opinion, lovely PSers
44DD6C4A-FF29-40AB-98FE-C1D1AAB4E9BC.jpeg 267175EE-19A2-408C-97A2-AFC5B408A7CB.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When there is fine antique workmanship it is a shame when the piece is dismantled for its gems.
The brooch while pretty is very plain and isn’t an amazing piece of antique workmanship (no offense meant) so I would say using those lovely diamonds in another piece, that you can wear and enjoy, a great idea.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
When there is fine antique workmanship it is a shame when the piece is dismantled for its gems.
The brooch while pretty is very plain and isn’t an amazing piece of antique workmanship (no offense meant) so I would say using those lovely diamonds in another piece, that you can wear and enjoy, a great idea.

Thank you! It is as you say. I wouldn’t feel too bad to take it apart. Here a picture for size reference. 777F1F1A-DD70-4503-A4A2-BC3EB3D9D4CD.jpeg 777F1F1A-DD70-4503-A4A2-BC3EB3D9D4CD.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brooches are on the way back in- i looked into my crystal ball and instead of lotto numbers i saw the lovelly Dutchess of Cambridge finally embracing the brooch durring the coronation celebrations of her father in law the future King Charles iii
Now everyone wants one
young ladies everywhere are begging their grandma's for their mother's brooches
John_William_Waterhouse_-_The_Crystal_Ball.JPG

All i would say if you repurpose the stones maybe think about - you know for a bit of fun - find some nice synthetic stones to fill the voids Coronation_of_H.M._King_George_VI.jpg
QueenMaryPearlsandDiamonds.jpg
Queen Mary, Queen of the jewlery do over
(the lovers knot tiara didn't just happen! )

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t think you can go wrong here. It is a pretty piece, but if you don’t wear brooches then it is what it is. The stones are lovely and well matched. I like the idea of a pendant and studs

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so pretty!
But as others have said, if you're not ever going to wear it......
I think a pendant would be nice, using all 5 stones. That way the diamonds would have the most punch, and they would still stay together in one piece of jewelry.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it apart, seriously if you don’t wear brooches, might as well make it into something you will wear and get enjoyment out of.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
If you don’t have a five stone I would do that. With the same multi-claw setting they have now in homage to their original home. Could look awesome.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your replies! I sort of collect brooches, but as I said I don‘t get to wear them too often but just admire them. Also a but scared to loose them. With this one… I can imagine to repurpose it. There are other would never ever take apart. I actually do not have a five stone…. Hmmmm….

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
5 stone gets my vote too! Where did you get this if you don’t mind my asking. It looks so famous- I feel like I’ve seen it before but can’t place it.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
5 stone gets my vote too! Where did you get this if you don’t mind my asking. It looks so famous- I feel like I’ve seen it before but can’t place it.

Not at all. I found it on Etsy and it came from a shop in Germany. :)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you don't have a 5 stone, I'd do that. They look like very pretty stones. Are the stones all the same size? it's hard to tell from the photos if the end stones are perhaps a bit smaller than the ones in the middle?
Regardless, If you like an antique vibe then I'd do something like these:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for a five stone ring.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your replies! I sort of collect brooches, but as I said I don‘t get to wear them too often but just admire them. Also a but scared to loose them. With this one… I can imagine to repurpose it. There are other would never ever take apart. I actually do not have a five stone…. Hmmmm….

Well if you collect them ...
That is just fabulous :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Definatly hang onto the brooch setting and bung something pretty and inexpensive in there one day
i want to put it on a hat or bag

I like its more simple style

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
I couldn’t resist this little beauty. I am a big fan of old brooches and pins but I must admit, I don‘t wear them often. I take them out of the box at home and admire their beauty, that is what I do.
With this newest acquisition I‘m unsure what to do. The stones are small but beautiful.

Option 1: convert into a pendant (three stones) and tiny studs.
Option 2: convert into a 5 stone ring.
Option 3: leave as is.

What is your thought on that? I‘d love your opinion, lovely PSers
44DD6C4A-FF29-40AB-98FE-C1D1AAB4E9BC.jpeg

Rosalina, what ever you decide to do, it will be a winner! But a 5-stone ring sounds right! =)2

Last edited:

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all your lovely replies! So many great thoughts! I‘ll make sure to come back with news!

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Those are bright, lively stones! On one hand I'm torn because it'd be nice to keep the pin setting in tact in case someone else would like to reset their own stones if you take them out to make a ring. On the other, it would be lovely to use them as is and set them in a band (or would be great as a DBTY) since the prongs are really nice. Either way, can't wait to see how it ends up.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know how you feel about not wanting to dismantle brooches, but this one isn't as intricate as some so don't feel too bad. So yeah, I vote 5-stone!

chere

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if the jeweler can deconstruct the brooch and save the baskets. I’ve seen ring heads separated from the ring band and converted into pendants. And my sister had a pendant soldered onto a ring. Wouldn’t this be the same kind of work to convert this into a ring or a DBTY necklace?

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
5 stone <3

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results