shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC in August Recommendations

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Calling all NYC PSers!!!

It''s been about 8 years since I worked in the city so I am a little rusty on knowing places to eat, where to stay, etc. I am going to be going to NYC for a bachelorette party with my friend who is getting married in Sept and another one of her bridesmaids. We are only going for one overnight. Just the three of us. We are not looking to go out to clubs or any of the traditional bachelorette stuff. We are thinking we''d like to shop, go out for dinner, and maybe see a show. The hard part for me is the dinner and where to stay. The girls I am going with are not very daring eaters so they don''t eat sushi or anything like that. I''d like to find a place that is reasonable but still has excellent food and a NYC experience. With regards to hotels, I originally was thinking of staying nearby to the theatre district, but many places are very expensive in that area. I used to stay at the Iroquois for work, so I was just going to book us a room there, but they do not offer only one night stays. They have a minimum two night stays.

Anyways, any and all recommendations are welcome!!!!

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
For hotels, check down near Wall St. These hotels are often cheaper on the weekend becuase they cater to business travelers and the taxi or subway ride isn''t that bad compared to what you''ll gain. The Embassy Suites is especially good because you can get a suite that can pack in a few more gals and most of them have a living room and bedroom, so it''s a bit more comfortable for sharing. I''ve stayed at that one and it was really nice and new.

As far as restaurants go, I always use NYMAG to look things up and read the reviews. When you say "reasonable", what is your target entree price? And will you be drinking a lot? You said you lived here before, so you know that reasonable is a lot higher here than almost anywhere else.
20.gif
You may want to prepare the gals for sticker shock!

Do any of these appeal?

Tao http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/tao-asian-bistro/

Stanton Social http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/stanton-social/

Fig & Olive (Meatpacking District) http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/fig-and-olive02/

One Little West Twelve (Meatpacking District) http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/one_little_west_12/

Japonais (might be too crazy food wise, but they have a great happy hour) http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/japonais/

BLT Market http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/blt-market/

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info Zipzap! I tried the Embassy Suites that you recommended and they are already booked! But you made a good point about trying Wall St. so I am looking for more hotels now. I am going to try the Hyatt next. I am totally in tune with how much things cost in NYC but I am not sure about the other girls so I am trying to find something that is no more than $30 per entree at the most. Ideally around $25.

For lunch, we are probably going to be near Bloomies/tiffany''s area so I am planning on bringing us for lunch at Serafina''s which is nice and casual, reasonable, and good food.

I haven''t been to the theatre there in awhile either and was surprised by the pricing! I think I remember getting deals on tix for shows if we just stop at that Tickets Booth in Times Square on the day that we want to see a show. Is that still the case?

Thanks for the recommendations Zipzap!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
So I just booked Hyatt Andaz Wall St for our hotel! It looks super nice. My hubby used his Hyatt Points so it was free! Score!

Anyways, I''d love to hear more restaurant and shows ideas if anybody has any!!!

Zipzap, thanks for the lead on trying Wall St!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I haven't been to NYC in over a year but they've moved the half price ticket booth out of times square. I can't remember exactly but it's at a hotel about a block or two away from Times square now. I'll see if I can find out.

ETA: it was by the Mariott Marquis while the area was being renovated dunno if it's still there as I haven't been since December '07.

Some shows that i'm dying to see are A Little Night Music (being recast with Bernadette Peters), Adams family with Nathan Lane, and and La Cage au Folles. Wicked is also amazing, I've seen it four times!

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
The Times Square ticket booth is back. There are big red steps and the booth is underneath them sortof. I think there is a strategy to when you should go based on when blocks of tickets are released, lines are shorter, etc. (maybe google it?), but I''ve never done it, so I can''t say one way or another.

If you do decide on a musical, South Pacific and Chicago are both really really good! And very different, so you can keep your crowd in mind when choosing
2.gif

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56&%20do=v

Glad the hotel worked out!

I was just thinking of a great restaurant that is a little lower priced. It is called Piola and it is a great place for a chiolled out girls night. It has great Italian food and pizzas more south american style (a Brazilian friend recommended it). Also, the mojitos and wine are very well priced--not always true in NYC. It might not be so high on "NYC Experience", but it is a great option on the lower end of the price spectrum.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/piola/

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
If you are really considering the Broadway show idea, you could do a pre-theatre menu. This is usually much cheaper since you are eating so much earlier than normal. Lots of restaurants especially in Midtown do a great pre-theatre, so keep it in mind.

Some ideas: Le Cirque, 21 Club (have to be dressy, but this is a NYC classic), Molyvos (Greek), Russian Samovar (formerly Russian Tea Room, very interesting decor!)....

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 10:47:55 AM
Author: zipzapgirl
If you are really considering the Broadway show idea, you could do a pre-theatre menu. This is usually much cheaper since you are eating so much earlier than normal. Lots of restaurants especially in Midtown do a great pre-theatre, so keep it in mind.

Some ideas: Le Cirque, 21 Club (have to be dressy, but this is a NYC classic), Molyvos (Greek), Russian Samovar (formerly Russian Tea Room, very interesting decor!)....
NO NO NO to Russian Samovar. Horrible food when I was there (and i''m Russian). Better bet is the Russian Vodka Room. Good food, very interesting people. Btw, I thought the Russian Tea Room was on w. 57th? and samovar on 52nd. Pretty sure they''re not the same place from what I remember. Then again I was a kid the one and only time my parents took me to the tea room.

Another option if you''re tring to keep the cost down is the Blue Water Grill. It''s in Union Square. Great food, very nice decor and reasonable prices.

I love the Andaz hotels. Stayed at one in London for a few nights. Not the typical hotel experience. Just remember that the financial district is dead after dark. Not the kind of neighborhood you can just walk around in. But you''ll also be close to the Seaport where they''ll be a ton of people.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 1:09:13 AM
Author: redfaerythinker
Hey, I haven''t been to NYC in over a year but they''ve moved the half price ticket booth out of times square. I can''t remember exactly but it''s at a hotel about a block or two away from Times square now. I''ll see if I can find out.

ETA: it was by the Mariott Marquis while the area was being renovated dunno if it''s still there as I haven''t been since December ''07.

Some shows that i''m dying to see are A Little Night Music (being recast with Bernadette Peters), Adams family with Nathan Lane, and and La Cage au Folles. Wicked is also amazing, I''ve seen it four times!

Thanks for the show recommendations! I want to have a list of shows when we go to the half price ticket booth!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 10:32:30 AM
The Times Square ticket booth is back. There are big red steps and the booth is underneath them sortof. I think there is a strategy to when you should go based on when blocks of tickets are released, lines are shorter, etc. (maybe google it?), but I''ve never done it, so I can''t say one way or another.

If you do decide on a musical, South Pacific and Chicago are both really really good! And very different, so you can keep your crowd in mind when choosing
2.gif

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56&%20do=v

Glad the hotel worked out!

I was just thinking of a great restaurant that is a little lower priced. It is called Piola and it is a great place for a chiolled out girls night. It has great Italian food and pizzas more south american style (a Brazilian friend recommended it). Also, the mojitos and wine are very well priced--not always true in NYC. It might not be so high on ''NYC Experience'', but it is a great option on the lower end of the price spectrum.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/piola/

Zipzap, I checked out the ticket booth link and there is actually one at the seaport too which opens at 11am! So I think what we are going to do is when we arrive at Grand Central, we will cab it to the hotel (wall st), and leave our bags there even if we can''t check in. Then we can go over to the seaports ticket booth and try to get tix. This way we can avoid the times square booth which you know is NUTS!!!

Couple questions...how much do you think cab fare from Grand Central to the hotel would be roughly? I would be willing to try the subway but even when I worked in the city I was a cab girl. For the most part I only really took N/R Subway. Also do you think it will be a quick walk from the hotel to the ticket booth? I can call the hotel and ask as well. After we get our tix, I think we''ll head out shopping. I''d love to do SOHO but the gals I am going with have only been to NYC once so they want to do traditional NYC shopping - Bloomies/Tiff''s/Macy''s/Rockefellar maybe. I don''t want to pack too much into one day you know? I''m thinking we grab an on the go lunch somewhere and then have an early yummy dinner pre-theatre. Most shows start at 7pm and I am worried because most restaurants open for dinner at 5:00-5:30 even with a pre-theatre menu. Do you think we would still get to the theatre in time?

Thanks everyone!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 11:33:54 AM
Author: elle_chris
Date: 6/23/2010 10:47:55 AM

NO NO NO to Russian Samovar. Horrible food when I was there (and i''m Russian). Better bet is the Russian Vodka Room. Good food, very interesting people. Btw, I thought the Russian Tea Room was on w. 57th? and samovar on 52nd. Pretty sure they''re not the same place from what I remember. Then again I was a kid the one and only time my parents took me to the tea room.

Another option if you''re tring to keep the cost down is the Blue Water Grill. It''s in Union Square. Great food, very nice decor and reasonable prices.

I love the Andaz hotels. Stayed at one in London for a few nights. Not the typical hotel experience. Just remember that the financial district is dead after dark. Not the kind of neighborhood you can just walk around in. But you''ll also be close to the Seaport where they''ll be a ton of people.

Elle, I am glad to hear you had a good experience with the Andaz hotels! I''ve never stayed at one but it looks pretty awesome with amazing service. When you say "not the typical hotel experience" I''m hoping that is in a good way!!! Do you think they''ll hold our bags for us prior to check in so that we don''t have to lug them around the city? I would hope so! Oh and Elle, don''t worry, I plan on cabbing it back to the hotel at the end of our night! Thanks for the heads up!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I mean it in a good way!
9.gif

The one in London reminded me more of a modern art gallery rather than a hotel. The rooms were also very modern. Check in was interesting because there's no front desk. You walk in, sit down, and someone walks over to you with a computer and checks you in. Just a different experience. You'll enjoy it
1.gif

eta: they shouldn't have any problem holding you bags.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I took a cab from the financial district to grand central the other week and it was $25 including a very generous tip, hope you enjoy your trip!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 1:53:56 PM
Author: elle_chris
Yes, I mean it in a good way!
9.gif

The one in London reminded me more of a modern art gallery rather than a hotel. The rooms were also very modern. Check in was interesting because there''s no front desk. You walk in, sit down, and someone walks over to you with a computer and checks you in. Just a different experience. You''ll enjoy it
1.gif

eta: they shouldn''t have any problem holding you bags.
Good to hear it Elle. I read online about the no front desk so it should be interesting. It also says they give you a glass of wine while you are sitting and being checked in! Sounds good to me!!!! I am lucky my hubby had so many Hyatt points to use!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 2:39:50 PM
Author: purselover
I took a cab from the financial district to grand central the other week and it was $25 including a very generous tip, hope you enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the info Purselover! Now at least I have an idea of what to expect!

Any more ideas from anyone on Pre-theatre dinners like Zip Zap recommended?!!

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock

elle chris You''re totally right. The Russian Tea Room is on 57th. I just put the Russian Tea Room on there because the decor is pretty neat and it has a unique feel to it. The food is Russian (can''t vouch for how authentic), but I think even "safe" eaters can find something there like chicken kiev. Sorry for the mixup--I was doing a very quick search and just saw the midtown location
3.gif

lizzyann - Here is best website to come out in a long, long time: www.hopstop.com
You can do subway planning and you can see approximate taxi fares and walking times. I love it and find it to be a huge help!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Meat Packing district (west village) has many great restaurants to choose from. All diff. types of food.

As for show tix, there''s something called RUSH seating. You can buy the morning of the show for $25 or put your name in their lottery for $25 tix. You just wait like an hour to see if you made the lottery/ The seats are always great..lots of first row (if you don''t mind that).

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 6:10:15 PM

elle chris You''re totally right. The Russian Tea Room is on 57th. I just put the Russian Tea Room on there because the decor is pretty neat and it has a unique feel to it. The food is Russian (can''t vouch for how authentic), but I think even ''safe'' eaters can find something there like chicken kiev. Sorry for the mixup--I was doing a very quick search and just saw the midtown location
3.gif

lizzyann - Here is best website to come out in a long, long time: www.hopstop.com

You can do subway planning and you can see approximate taxi fares and walking times. I love it and find it to be a huge help!

Zipzap, you are a plethora of information. Thanks for that link! You are the best!
35.gif

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 6:28:49 PM
Author: atroop711
Meat Packing district (west village) has many great restaurants to choose from. All diff. types of food.

As for show tix, there''s something called RUSH seating. You can buy the morning of the show for $25 or put your name in their lottery for $25 tix. You just wait like an hour to see if you made the lottery/ The seats are always great..lots of first row (if you don''t mind that).

Thanks Atroop! These RUSH seats...do you go to the theatre box office for the show you want to see that night and ask for RUSH seating? Or how does that work? My friend mentioned that you can usually get discounted tickets at the theatre box office if you go the day of the show? Is this the same thing you are referring to? Might be worth a try if so!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results