shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Diamond District Advice

johnnydiamond22

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This will be my first post but do visit frequently. I am coming up on 3 years with my gf and am planning to propose in a little over a month. I have done extensive reading on all things diamond to educate myself as much as I can before doing any serious shopping. I live very close to NYC and am planning to head down to the diamond district in the next week or so and am looking for any advice or store recommendations anyone has. I have browsed a few of the online stores (james allen, whiteflash, bluenile, etc.) for spec and price ranges to be prepared with for when I head down. I have been to the diamond district once before with my gf when we were in the city just to browse and to get a sense of what type of ring she likes, but no serious shopping. I am looking for a GIA cert, 1.4-1.7c, ideal cut, si1 or higher, G-I stone. For the setting I'm looking for a solitaire but am not sure if I want pave or not, depends on the specific setting. I am looking to spend no more than $9k. A few places that I have seen good reviews and will probably check out when down there are Kent Jewelers, Jangmi Jewelry, David S Diamonds. Does anyone have any experience with any of these jewelers? I also am contemplating making the drive over to goodoldgold and checking them out as well.

Also, for people who have been to both the diamond district as well as shopped online, how do you find the overall comparison as far as pricing, quality and customer service? How much play do you have with negotiating in the district (hundreds, thousands)? One more question was about appraisals people have received after purchasing from both the diamond district or online retailer. Do they tend to be around the same price, double, triple?

I also am aware of most of the basic diamond district tricks to watch out for (hawkers, "sale" signs, not having GIA certs, etc.) Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated!

kkcat

Rough_Rock
47th street is overwhelming. I can't imagine actually buying a diamond in any of the street front stores there. However, there might be good jewelers located a level above, in the buildings on the street - there are numerous jewelers offices. But be very very careful.
I loved Goodoldgold. I didn't end up buying from them as they didn't have what I was looking for at that time but I might come back to them in the future.
Brilliantlyengaged has an office on 47th and there is enchanted diamonds office on 34th street if I'm not mistaken. I mention those because they do provide all kinds of tools to look at the diamond in question, like an ASET scope, ideal scope.

Another thing to consider is nyc sales tax...
That's why we might end up buying online and actually save some money and put it towards the setting price ;-)

Chihuahua6

Shiny_Rock
I have been there a few times and I can say it's nice to shop for settings because there's a huge variety to see. If you tell them you already have a diamond they won't give you the hard sell on a diamond and will just show you settings. As far as diamonds go I was not happy with the experience overall. I was looking for 1.75 carat GIA certified diamond and one place tried to sell me an IGI certified laser enhanced diamond because that is what they had. I was looking to spend double for what I wanted too. Another place looked up on the computer to see what was available that he could get to show me the following day, meaning they were not diamonds that they had in stock but similar to buying a diamond online from virtual inventory.

Overall when it comes to diamond shopping they can be very aggressive. There were a couple of nice people who were not pushy when I inquired about settings. One guy stood out as being a decent person and not pushy or sales pitchy. He was very nice explaining how a custom ring can be made to my liking and he talked about the quality of the work etc. I get the feeling that he would be easy to work with if I had asked him to locate a diamond with the specs I was looking for. I don't remember the address though. I just remember he was the first counter on the left in a smaller store, wore a kippah on his head and had a young woman working there, perhaps his daughter? I know that probably doesn't help much. I wish I could locate his business card.

My advice would be to visit many different counters and get a feel for the people working there. You might find one that you can work with or should I say who is willing to work for you. Make a list of exactly what you are looking for, measurements and all, and see who is willing to source it for you without trying to sell you what they happen to have behind the counter. The more knowledge you have, the easier it will be otherwise you will hear too many sales pitches and people trying to educate you on what you should be looking for. You can also tell them you already have the diamond and get a feel for their personality as you look at their settings.

It can be fun but it can be annoying too. After you go there I recommend visiting Good Old Gold on Long Island as the above poster recommended. I did just that, Diamond District first, then Good Old Gold. When you see the difference in professionalism you'll be amazed. I didn't end up purchasing from them because they didn't have exactly what I was looking for but I ended up purchasing from another Pricescope recommended vendor, Brian Gavin. Both are top notch as well as Whiteflash and B2C wh I also had correspondances with during the process.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I've had extensive experience with 47th street and after being on PS for two years here is my advice. Good old Gold on long island or on 47th street IDJ and Engagement rings direct /. Make an appointment with IDJ before you go and only look at AGS 0 or GIA 3x ideal cut stones and mention you are a PS member. Before PS I bought several major purhases with family passed down 47th street vendors and looking beack I would go to a PS vetted vendor. Be safe plus if you go to "just anyone" even saying you want GIA 3x there is still the perfect stats for an ideal cutl. Just because the certificate says 3x doesn't mean its an true ideal cut.

You need to bring the stats here run them through the HCA tool ask for assets. 90% of these vendors on 47th will NOT have this information. GOG will do all of this IDJ has a great rep. and engagement rings direct is known for their handmade setting.s

Really

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
I live in NY and also work in the city so I have had the 47 St experience of buying diamonds and jewelry. I will tell you to stay away from Kent as I got a real bad diamond from these folks 3 years ago. They told me everything under the sun about the diamond being a great deal and in reality it wasn't. I ended up hating the diamond and selling it. This was before I found Pricescope and the wonderful people on here who share their knowledge and have helped so many people find a good diamond.
I bought my second diamond which is GIA 2.30 H VVS2 diamond from Yekutiel at ID Jewelry located at 15 W47th street. I love them dearly as the entire family at IDJ are wonderful and knowlegable. They will work with your budget. But you should call first and tell them you want to make an appointment to look at diamonds so they will have some in your specs there for you to see. The second place is Brilliantly Engaged located at 505 5th Avenue however his prices are slightly higher for his diamonds. For example I was searching his website looking at a gia round brilliants on his website only to find the same exact diamond listed elsewhere priced about 700.00 cheaper. I have also been to Good old Gold and they are very nice to deal with as well but they are located in Long Island.
One other place you might consider is Ultimate Jewelry Designs at 19 W47 St.
Good luck and I hope you find a nice diamond for your girl :D

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought after this poster settled his dispute, he would tell us the name of the Diamond District dealer who recently fleeced him. But regrettably, we remain clueless as to the dealer's identity. Still, one obvious takeaway from this saga is that turning over wads of cold cash to a stranger in the Distrct is a bad idea:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...amond-dealer-wont-honor-return-policy.209574/

Eternity by Yoni -- a PS sponsor -- is another diamond dealer & jewelry maker whom my late father-in-law, who was in the trade here in NYC, recommended to consumers. Like IDJ and Brilliantly Engaged, Yoni does receive retail customers (B2C, also a PS sponsor recommended by my FIL, is in the District but is strictly an Internet vendor at this point). To make the most of your time with any of these three, call ahead to make an appointment & advise them of your parameters in advance of showing up to examine stones & discuss mountings and/or a custom order.
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/test_drive_info.php
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/faq.php

A lot of people hate making their way through the bazaar-like atmosphere of the District, but if you think of all the antics and importunings of the hawkers as mere entertainment, it's less aggravating & even fun ;))

johnnydiamond22

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of the responses they are all very helpful. As far as sales tax goes, I live in CT so a way I figured I can get around that is to have it shipped to me, does anyone have experience with shipping a purchase from the city?

As far the hawking and chaotic environment at times, I'm not too worried about that as I've been there before and it doesn't bother me, I just keep walking or just give a quick no and they will move on to the next person. I also work in sales and am around pushy salesman a lot so that is nothing new. I believe that I am pretty good at being able to pick up whether the person really knows what they're talking about or if they're just blowing smoke.

I plan to make some appointments at a few of the recommended jewelers and see what they can offer. I often hear that the places that aren't on the ground level are the best places to go, but I also hear that it's very difficult to get into these places without a referral, is this true?

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
johnnydiamond22|1426691351|3849099 said:
Thank you for all of the responses they are all very helpful. As far as sales tax goes, I live in CT so a way I figured I can get around that is to have it shipped to me, does anyone have experience with shipping a purchase from the city?

As far the hawking and chaotic environment at times, I'm not too worried about that as I've been there before and it doesn't bother me, I just keep walking or just give a quick no and they will move on to the next person. I also work in sales and am around pushy salesman a lot so that is nothing new. I believe that I am pretty good at being able to pick up whether the person really knows what they're talking about or if they're just blowing smoke.

I plan to make some appointments at a few of the recommended jewelers and see what they can offer. I often hear that the places that aren't on the ground level are the best places to go, but I also hear that it's very difficult to get into these places without a referral, is this true?

Hello johnnydiamond,
I have had diamond jewelry shipped to another state and saved the tax that way. So you can certainly do that to save tax.
Also it is not difficult at all to get upstairs to the office at the buildings where the jewelers are located in. You just have to sign in the front desk at security and go upstairs to the jewelers office. It would be good if you make an appointment this way they are expecting you and can dedicate so time to show you diamonds of your specs.
For ID Jewelry location, I just walk in the building to the elevators to the 3rd floor and ring the bell for ID Jewelry. But make an appointment so they can expect you bec they can get very busy.
Also on the chaotic environment, maybe they don't see me as a tourist because I never get hassled. They do come up to me and ask if I an interested in this and that but I simply reply "no thank you" and keep moving :D It works for me and I go to the 47th street very frequently.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For context- a small store on 47th street- say about 300 square feet with a window- rents for about $30k a month.
For the life of me, I can't figure out how some of these places stay in business.....anyone with even rudimentary diamond knowledge will RUN from these sharks and their practices.
But someone is buying.....

Shipping out of NYState will save you paying tax to the seller- you're actually supposed to report the sale and pay your own local tax ( right)

Wherever you buy, make a money back guarantee a deal breaker

johnnydiamond22

Rough_Rock
After doing some more browsing online and taking a look at the inventory of some of the suggested jewelers I have decided to definitely check out IDJ and Enchanted Diamonds when I head down, I am in the process of setting up some appointments. Also, I haven't heard anyone comment on Jangmi Jewelry or David S Diamonds, has no one had experiences at either of these places? The reviews look good but I haven't heard anything outside of that. I also plan to make a trip to GOG in LI as well as I really enjoyed the diamond education videos they created as well as hear nothing but good things about them.

Are there any other jewelers that are located off the street level that anyone recommends making an appointment with? I think one of the frustrations with the diamond district is that a lot of the more reputable jewelers aren't open on the weekends. I do plan on going on a weekend as work takes up my mon-fri, once I am ready to make the purchase I may take a day off of work to go during a weekday if I need to (not ideal). Has anyone had any success in being able to work with any of these jewelers who are closed on the weekends to maybe schedule an appointment on the weekend or a weeknight?

As far as avoiding situations like the previously posted thread about the guy getting fleeced, there are a few things that are non negotiable in my shopping. They are, 1. the diamond must be GIA certified, 2. There must be at least a 30 day unconditional return policy (written out and signed) and 3. the diamond must be ideal cut.

kkcat

Rough_Rock
Good idea to plan ahead and actually call the store before you go. Many places on 47th will be closed on Saturday due to Shabbath.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You'll have a hard time finding a lot of places open on the weekends, you may be able to make an appointment to visit them.

Enchanted is appointment only on the weekends as well.

David S. is an old friend of our family and is the inventor of the Solasfera Cut Diamond.

Advice:

30 day money back guarantee in writing is a must - take the diamond to an independent appraiser no matter where you buy it from.

Be weary of anyone who cant show you the GIA cert.

Consider having your own ASET and IdealScope to bring with you. Most places in the diamond district wont have these tools on hand for you to use.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
My first recommendation above everything else is to not buy on emotion. Like anything that has the ability to get us excited (new car, house, etc), always be willing to walk away. I think if you go in with the intent of gathering information, seeing what's availanle and then making a decision, you will be better off than buying that day. Like others have mentioned, make sure you give the vendors your diamond parameters. Oftentimes they will have 1-3 diamonds that meet some of your criteria, but you want to see mulpile diamonds that meet your criteria to compare them. Also, write down the specs so that you have a reference point to compare the diamonds when you get home. I am also wondering why you want to visit so many places. I think 4 is sufficient to get a good idea of who you feel comfortable with. Also, most vendors can call in additional diamonds, so don't feel pressured to buy something immediately.

Good luck and have fun.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
ID Jewelry is open on Sundays, but call Yekutiel to let him know that you are coming and what you are looking for. He can also provide aset photos.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
johnnydiamond22|1426691351|3849099 said:

I have shipped jewelry out of state to save tax its no big deal. As long as you sset up an appointment withthe three people suggested you should have no problem. But again make sure you not only call but tell them an idea of what you are looking for so they can have stones there. I purchased jackets from IDJ and they made up 2 sizes for me to choose from with no obligation so I didn't have to wait for them to be made. ( wasn't sure what size and really wanted to try each size on with my studs.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I would also recommend Yekutiel from IDJ. I have been very happy with my personal purchases from them in the past. The family is lovely and they will get you a great diamond for your budget. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

johnnydiamond22

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at this diamond and am looking for some feedback.

_28150.jpg

_28151.jpg

_28152.jpg

Attachments

• _99.pdf
    714.3 KB · Views: 142

johnnydiamond22

Rough_Rock
cert

Attachments

• _101.pdf
    714.3 KB · Views: 137

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
johnnydiamond22|1426824717|3849887 said:

I stopped by IDJ today and was speaking with Yekutiel. I saw your diamond you have on hold, its GORGEOUS!
It goes to show you your eyes need to be the judge because your diamond looks even more beautiful in person.
Congrats and please come back with pics once you propose and its on her finger. :D

johnnydiamond22

Rough_Rock
Madison2|1427497971|3853439 said:
johnnydiamond22|1426824717|3849887 said:

I stopped by IDJ today and was speaking with Yekutiel. I saw your diamond you have on hold, its GORGEOUS!
It goes to show you your eyes need to be the judge because your diamond looks even more beautiful in person.
Congrats and please come back with pics once you propose and its on her finger. :D

I did end up purchasing this diamond and extremely happy with the experience ID Jewelry and Yekutiel provided. They were great and I highly recommend them. I will be posting more once I receive the ring, stay tuned.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
It is gorgeous!! Really well done!! :appl: :clap:

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
johnnydiamond22|1427896675|3855442 said:
Here's a sneak peek.

Oh MY, Its Gorgeous!!!
I love it!

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
When the ring is on her finger, please post pictures on "show me the bling" thread.
We all want to see this gorgeous ring and love looking at pics.
Congrats in advance, you did well! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results