shape
carat
color
clarity

Numbers

Justin93

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I have found this local jeweler that has this diamond which is graded by EGL and GIA. GIA says the following about the diamond:

RECTANGULAR MODIFIED BRILLIANT

Measurements: 5.13 x 4.88 x 3.54 mm
Carat Weight: 0.74 carat
Color Grade: D
Clarity Grade: VVS2
PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 72.5%
Table: 73%
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
FINISH:

Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Faint

EGL says it is a VS1 and D in color. My question is, how do those GIA numbers look? It is a small jeweler, so he doesn;t have aset images or anything like that but the price seems pretty good (2500.00) Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for all the help!!

Justin

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately for fancy cuts we cannot really help you out with numbers only
15.gif
There is no standardized cut grading of any fancy except princess cuts. So you will just have to use your eyes! I recommend that you see and compare as many exemplars as you can of the cut you are considering. This will help you to determine what you like. Also, you can read the fancy cut tutorial under the tool tab, above. And you can buy your own ASET too, it is about $50 I think? I am not sure the source, someone else might chime in on this.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s a little unusual for a GIA report to show a higher grade than an EGL report on the same stone and it raises a few questions, namely why? Can he give you a scan of the two reports? That’s unusual enough that it begs a few questions and I would want to know more.

The price is reasonable enough if you love the stone but there’s really no clues about the cutting from the numbers. Presumably you’ve seen it. Do you love it? Are you getting a D/VVS2 because that’s what the jeweler happened to have or was this part of your specifications?

He can get an ASET for $25 from AGS. (www.agsaid.com) Regardless of what you end up doing, he might consider picking one up. It doesn’t have to help him sell very many more stones to justify the cost.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Justin93

Rough_Rock
So if I were to buy my own ASET, what would a perfect princess cut look like?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
here is a picture of princess ASETs...

you can also go to WF and look at the ASETs of their ACA princess cuts

princessASETguide1234.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Better yet, go out and find a place that carries AGS0 princess cuts. AGS applies cut grading to princesses. If Iwere buying a princess, I would buy one with an AGS cert because of that.

Justin93

Rough_Rock
Man this is crazy, so hard to decide. I feel like it is safer to purchase online since there is more information. Do you guys think I can get a nice princess cut for under 4k ring and all? I dont want anything lower than a G in color and an SI1, if not a vs2. Whats your guys thoughts? (if you had my wallet and in my shoes)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes, definitely you can get something nice in your budget! are you looking at a solitaire setting?

WF and GOG carry princess cuts and have the ASET/diamond image/etc posted online. James Allen also carries princess cuts but you will need to request ASET images from them. perhaps one of the more knowledgeable people can suggest something to you
19.gif

Justin93

Rough_Rock
Ya just a tiffany ring or something simple. Local price was 200.00 for a 14k white gold one.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you look on jamesallen.com, they have 3 1 carat H VS1-VS2 princess cuts in your price range-maybe contact them and ask them to send you ASET images?

Justin93

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help guys/girls!! One more question, what is the major difference in the mm in a ring? 2mm vs 5mm?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
2 mm is a pretty thin band, 5 mm is a pretty thick band (for a ladies ring...) just depends on the type of look you are going for!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 6:56:08 PM
Author: Justin93
Thanks for all the help guys/girls!! One more question, what is the major difference in the mm in a ring? 2mm vs 5mm?

3mm.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 2.5mm is a nice safe thickness for a band, not too thin and not too thick. What finger size does your gf wear?

Justin93

Rough_Rock
5.5 ring size. another question, does James Allen let you put money down on a ring? I am closing on my home on June 20th(ish) and was wondering if they let me put money down to hold it til than. The bank doesn''t like to see large purchases this close to closing
7.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sure you can talk with JA on that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results