Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire BAD

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B6E2326B-8F88-4AF3-B8C8-47DB83E3552B.jpeg

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting this here. It’s devastating!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7F0AF6B6-C147-49EE-9324-49FD8D5C08B8.jpeg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My heart is hurting and I have chills....The spire just collapsed...

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just watching it on the news here, absolutely awful. :(2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see the firemen up there? :eek2: I’m worried for them.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is hard to believe that this is actually happening.

The roof collapsed so I guess the inside is burning now. :(sad

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heartbreaking. :cry2: Praying no one gets hurt or dies.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh no...so sad!:cry2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The roof collapsed so I guess the inside is burning now. :(sad

Thank you for posting about this, whitewave. I didn't know about the fire until I read about it in this thread. The cathedral is meaningful to so many. When I lived in Paris I lived in the Latin Quarter, very close to the cathedral. In the evening my husband and I would sit on the benches in front of it and look up at it. As President Macron said, it has meaning to all Catholics and all French people, but I am neither Catholic nor French. It has meaning to many people in the world. I, also, hope no one is hurt or killed in trying to save it.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
it's so sad :cry2:
I visited for the first time for my 40th. All that history... :(

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheFireAtNotreDame.jpg TheFire2.jpg
These photos were in "The New York Times". They show the devastation.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is devastated here. I couldn't believe it when Dh called to inform me. At least all visitors were safely evacuated.
Now we are praying for the firemen...

Last edited:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter is in Paris in a study abroad program. She says she can smell smoke and has been hearing the sirens.

We went over with her two weeks ago, to "drop her off." Unfortunately, we only had a day and a half in Paris to sightsee, and didn't get to the cathedral. :(

She just now sent me a picture. I'll post it from my phone.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_8741.jpg
She and her roommates walked over to see what they could see, people are on the streets with tears in their eyes, singing and praying in grief. She says it's very moving.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Omg..I didn’t know until I saw this thread..I’m so sad..I too hope the firemen remain safe putting out the fire. Devastating...

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so terrible. The poor French! They've had a very challenging time since 2015, with the Charlie Hebdo attacks, the evening of co-ordinated attacks, the rise of Le Pen, the seemingly-endless Yellow Vest riots, and now this. Poor France. Poor Parisians. :cry2: Omg, SO glad no one is hurt, and hope that continues to be true regarding the brave firemen.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
This makes me so incredibly sad. As a faithful person, there's a relic in there which is much more important than the actual structure, and it pains me to think about its loss. The cathedral itself, having never been there- much of it is stone, so I wonder at the total possible damage? The loss of countless, valuable pieces of art lost to humanity. It's too much to think about! Terrorist organizations target wonders such as these because it's such an attack on a national/religious culture. I sure hope it was an accident, and a freak one at that!

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The buzzfeed article says this "The Crown of Thorns, said to have been worn by Jesus Christ before the crucifixion, and the tunic of St. Louis were both saved, according to the cathedral's rector."
I've read they got a lot of the art out too but the inside has very ornate woodwork they think has burned.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
sad :{

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LinSF, there's no suggestion that this was a terrorist attack, fortunately. Paris officials have said they think it could be something to do with the restoration work that was taking place.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So heartbreaking! My husband and I visited the cathedral in 2002. I can’t believe it may not be there when we travel to France with our children next summer. Praying there are no injuries and that as much as possible is saved. :cry2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the bell towers have been spared major damage. It appears from video footage on World News that firefighters have gained control of the flames.
The frame has been damaged, but is intact.
Assessment, and investigation pending, of course.
There were many historic artifacts, art, and statues removed before the fire spread.
ETA: the statues that are positioned on the spire were removed a few days ago, for cleaning. They did not perish with the spire.

This news has been devastating. Visiting the Cathedral of Notre Dame has been a bucket list item of mine since I was a child. My heart is resting very heavy, tonight....
I’m still hopeful this beautiful place of history, and religious significance will be restored, and that everyone involved in its rescue is unharmed.
Prayers are with the firefighters, and all of Paris.

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is horrific! Thank God I had the experience of seeing it in person. I just want to cry! :cry2:
Just a couple of my amateur pics from the fall of 2014.
402B91E9-2268-4373-9879-93DAFDEF5CD9.jpeg AC325D61-70EF-41C3-978C-82930A6D92EB.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results