shape
carat
color
clarity

Nothing better than asking for free advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RA

Rough_Rock
Ok - so after haning out and reading, asking some questions I have come to the conclusion that I can''t possibly learn it all. So I am seeking some expert opinions here:

I am thinking that the diamond described below is the one - but it seems to be a lower price point that some of the others I have looked at - before I contact one of the vendors and asked them to get me copy of the certificate and any other information that I can get on the stone I thought I would ask the board if there was something obvious that I was missing on this diamond that should give me concern.

Will someone please take me to school on this?
1.gif
'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
1.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif" width="15 border=0">

Thanks
R

Diamond Description:
1.00 Carat - E VVS2 Emerald Cut Diamond
Certificate: GIA
Shape: Emerald
Cut: Premium
Carat: 1.00
Color: E
Clarity: VVS2
Measurements: 6.29-5-3.57
Length to Width: 1.26
Depth Percentage: 71.4 %
Table Percentage: 71 %
Girdle: TN-SLTK
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: None (Inert)
Special Notes: Beautiful Cut

Cut: Premium
This diamonds proportions allow it to be classified as a Premium Cut by expert Gemologists. Its cut allows for an excellent display of fire and brilliance similar to an Ideal Cut. The majority of light that enters a Premium Cut diamond is reflected from facet to facet, and then back to the top of the diamond which produces an excellent array of fire, beauty and brilliance.

RA

Rough_Rock
Viriginia - Thanks for the bump - I owe you one!!!

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
ok, first let me say that I''m a HUGE emerald cut fan.
second let me say that the ''suggested'' table and depth percentages are lower than the numbers you have posted - now, let me elaborate by saying that my EC has table and depth numbers in the same range as yours and I think it''s amazing. Still, the ''ideal'' would have lower percentages. You lose some of the viewing size with the depth being higher, so the stone looks smaller than another 1 carat with a lower depth. %.

have you seen this diamond in person? you really should! it''s hard to estimate what an EC stone is going to look like until you see it with your own eyes. this cut is very finiky and what is awesome to one person might be horrid to another - it''s a very personal thing
26.gif

That having been said, and all the disclaimers aside (you know the ones about how I''m not a pro, just a consumer, and that this is just my opinion...etc..etc.) i think it would be worth seeing!

I have to tell you that you are paying a premium for the E/VVS2, and that you CAN, if you choose, go DOWN in both color and clarity and either save some bucks or end up with a bigger diamond - I, personally, would always choose the smaller stone with a higher clarity and color, but not everyone agrees with that philosophy - again, personal choice, right?

I think with this EC, the thing I would look at most closely is the "GOOD" rating for the symmetry. I have seen some that when you look down itno them, you can see how ''out of balance'' they are. I''ve not seen a GIA cert that rates cut on an emerald cut. So, unless that''s changed, the "premium" cut is the opinion of the seller - there''s another thread here where someone found the SAME diamond on two different web sites - one said it had a ''fair'' cut, the other said ''excellent'' or something like that - for the SAME diamond. It''s just an opinion.

Are you looking for a stone that is more squarish or more rectangular? This one is more on the sqarish side, shorter and fatter, so to speak.

ok..so that''s my VERY long winded opinion. sorry about that , i got carried away!

In any case, good luck with your quest!

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
hey! i answered!

when did i become chopped liver
8.gif

RA

Rough_Rock
f0rbidden

Easy there big fella - I was getting around to you - just took longer becuase I had to type more.

Thanks for all the words - funny thing is the other thread you mentioned (same stone two cut ratings) was from me.
6.gif
'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
6.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif" width="15 border=0">

I have thought a ton about the clairity and color and would go for an f instead of an e if I found one that was a lot better priced for the same clarity. But I am of the same opinion as you that I am willing to pay for the extra quality.

As far as size and shape I have a setting the is tappered split shank with a width of 6mm at the top (hope that gives the visual image - I am not good at describing) - we looked at the ring with a stone that was just about the same size as the width at the top of the ring and she really liked it - so I went off in search of a stone that was just over 6.

I have put in a request from the merchant to get more information on the stone and see if they will bring it in house to look at for me - maybe send me some images (I don''t know if they do that or not - but they worst they can do is laugh and so no, right?).

Thanks for the input.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
and if they won''t , there are others who will.

hmm.. you said the width at the top is 6mm? but this stone is 6mm long, am I misuderstanding?

Can I ask which vendor you found this at?

RA

Rough_Rock
Vednor for the stone or the ring - stone is at a number here off the board - Union, ERD. The ring is at a Barley, Banks and Biddle - did my best not to buy from a chain at the mall, but my GF saw it when we were looking around and I have searched hi and low looking for something similar - can''t find anything that she likes as much - she is picky (I like to think that is why she chose me! ha).

I probably did a poor job in describing the ring.

Let me try it this why- look down from the top it would look something like this:

The <> represents the split shank of the ring and the l l represent boxes with three small pricness cut stones - they are 6 mm long - the space inbetween the boxes is wide enought to accomodate the width of the diamond as well (represented here by the smiley face).

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/editor/cute/images/emsmile.gif[/img] l l>

Does this make it less or more confusing?
R

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I think it helps a lot and I''m sure it''s going to be STUNNING

you do know you have the option of having that ring made by another store - right? you don''t ahve to buy from BB&B, where the price might be a bit high, just a thought!

anyway, I''m sure one of the vendors would be happy to call the diamond in for you and give you an honest opinion. I''m sure you will find something amazing!

RA

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link to the other stone - that is a nice diamond, but two things - 1) I was hoping to spend $5 or less on the stone - I am going to look into the what they could make a smilar ring for and if I save enough there may be able to increase bidget for the stone and 2) that one shows a med blue flouiresence - another factor in diamonds quality - I had only been looking at diamonds with a flouresence of none - is this something else that I need to expand my horizons on?

Again - thanks for the link and site - I plan to check it out and see what they can do for the ring....

Thanks
R

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
Hi RA
i''m glad you are going to see what they can do for you! They''re really quite terrific people.

Now, as for the flourescence thing..I''ve seen a couple of rings and I''ve seen LOTS without. I have read that flour used to be all the rage, and then kind of simmered down a bit.

My understanding is that flourescence MAY make a higher color stone look ''milky'' or ''filmy'' and that it CAN help a lower color stone look more white. There are some great comments on the forum from people with rings that have strong blue flourescence and the great purple reflections they see in the sun. If I''ve got this correct, the flourescence doesn''t really affect the price or quality of your diamond - it''s really another personal preference thing.

I didn''t see the flourescence rating, i was really focusing on the table/depth numbers - sorry about that. Still, you can always hunt around their website, they list their loose diamonds there. or, use their online chat thingy and tell ''em what you''re looking for and see what else they have on hand that might meet your requirements.

btw - my budget was similar to yours - I know you can find something wonderful!

RA

Rough_Rock
OK - so I contact the merchant and request the certificate for this diamond.

This is what I got - it does not match the other certificates that I have seen (no hologram, etc) - is this just an older certificate and so I should let that go - also the certificate has a date of June 1999 - should I be concerned that this diamond was inspected so long ago - maybe there is a reason it is still on market? What is the shelf period for a diamond?

Ok - off to the airport for business trip (got to make the money to pay for this somehow) - so thanks in advance - will check in after plane lands.

R

Rcert.GIF

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I hit the GIA page and looked at the older generation reports - this one matches what they have on their page.
Also, looked up the report by number and it pulled up the exact info that''s on the report you have. So, I''m going with - it''s just an older version.

This is what I found on the GIA site:

If you would like to confirm the authenticity of your GIA Diamond Grading Report or Diamond Dossier®, or the information your report contains, you can request a free verification. Simply submit your diamond along with its original report to the GIA Laboratory. The diamond will be re-assessed and the results of the new analysis will be returned to you, along with your diamond and its original report.

Anyone can submit gemstones to GIA for report verification. Although we attempt to perform this service even when diamonds are mounted, in some instances we may have to ask to have the diamond removed from the setting so our gemologists are able to properly perform the verification service. Please note that the results will be returned to you by letter, along with your diamond and its original report.

You can certainly send it for reverification - OR - ask the seller to do so - since there''s no charge, there''s nothing to lose, right?
I''m just wondering if the grading criteria have changed in the last 7 years? become stricter? points to ponder!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 11:47:45 AM
Author: RA
Thanks for the link to the other stone - that is a nice diamond, but two things - 1) I was hoping to spend $5 or less on the stone - I am going to look into the what they could make a smilar ring for and if I save enough there may be able to increase bidget for the stone and 2) that one shows a med blue flouiresence - another factor in diamonds quality - I had only been looking at diamonds with a flouresence of none - is this something else that I need to expand my horizons on?
I just ran a search on pricescope database and this result showed up (I just expanded depth and table ranges). - Just above $5,000

http://www.thediamond.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-sur-641.html?E+scstore

114emeraldEVVS2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results