shape
carat
color
clarity

Not sure about the inclusions

diahk

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I've been a lurker of PS for the past couple weeks absorbing all the helpful information on my search for an engagement ring.

My parameters for my diamond search are in the 1.45-1.55 ct range, F color, VS2, 3x, with the diamond budget of 15-16k, I am flexible to 17k if it was a really good deal. It is also weird I never see rocks between 1.44-1.49 ct range. Are they not common because of the price jump on 1.50?

From my search there would be a few that meets my parameters, but not many that are promising (either they would have inclusions all over the place or the numbers of the rock weren't up to specs on hca). Are my requirements too much for my budget?

I've also compared prices between ps vendors who provide pictures and ideal scope and ps vendors where we shop blindly based on numbers and spec. The prices on the blind shopping vendors are appealing.

I selected this one due to a HCA score of .7 and it was within my budget. It is from a ps vendor blind shop vendor who is acquiring a picture for me due tomorrow and they can provide me a ideal-scope image if I proceed in getting the diamond. The numbers do look good But I'm a little worry on the inclusions. The vendor says it's 100% eye clean but we know that definition varies. It seems like a cluster of clouds connecting to crystals from the plot which got me a little worried.

https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=6135396570&weight=1.52#

Also, does it matter on a diamond if the inclusions were on the table or the crown? I noticed that that there are price differences on the inclusion locations.

Lastly, I want to thank all you PS experts here for doing such good work in helping and guiding us diamond noobs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only way you will know if it eyeclean for you is to see it in person. That's why you have a return policy.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly...

Pass...

then let me buy it.

JOKE!!! :bigsmile: :naughty:

Seriously, though IIIIII wouldn't worry about that cloud inclusion. I'd ask what color that crystal was though. If you've been lurking, then you should know to ask if it's eye clean to YOUR specs (at what distance? from the sides?). I've seen some GIA VS2's inclusions flat out sans loupe vs. not seeing jack ish on some SI1 stones, so it really depends. Good luck, post up some pics and IS images when acquired.

diahk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice Gypsy and Titan. After looking at the image provided by the vender, I'll have to pass on this one and continue on my search. Titan was kind of right on the crystal and from the image it appears black.

1000697952.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diahk|1341342898|3227998 said:
Thanks for the advice Gypsy and Titan. After looking at the image provided by the vender, I'll have to pass on this one and continue on my search. Titan was kind of right on the crystal and from the image it appears black.

On my computer monitor the diameter of that stone is 7.25 inches, but in real life it is 0.29 inches.
That means the picture is enlarged 25 times life size.
IRL that inclusion will be 25 times less visible.

Just saying.

diahk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the insight Kenny. Other than the inclusion on the table, what are your thoughts based on the image and specs?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diahk|1341346238|3228031 said:
Thanks for the insight Kenny. Other than the inclusion on the table, what are your thoughts based on the image and specs?

Looking at the GIA report I see no red flags.
Crown angle of 33.0 degrees is kind of low but it gets a 0.7 on the HCA - maybe one of our cut experts like KarlK or John Pollard could comment on the "look" of a 33 degree crown angle.

F color is expensive.
Have you looked at G, H and I in person in different lighting, top view, side view, to determine F is really worth the extra money to you?
If so, so be it.

If not, please view diamonds of these colors in person (pics are worthless) and make sure the diamonds you are comparing were graded by GIA or AGS, and are near 1.4 ct since a 4 ct F shows more body color than a 0.4 ct F.

It is possible you may be perfectly happy with a more affordable color grade.
On the other hand if you compare it to E and Ds you may decide F has too much color for you.
People vary.

If you've decided on the F, the next step is to post the Idealscope pics.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto Kenny. I really doubt that inclusion can be seen in real life, FWIW.

diahk

Rough_Rock
I wasn't sure on the angle as well from searching. I did notice the angle numbers do make a great impact on the HCA score.

The first thing I did during my search was to go to B & M jewelery stores and compared the colors. I noticed the differences between a G and F GIA diamonds maybe be cause I'm color sensitive.

Again thank you for your insights. After reading your comments it gave me a little more confidence.

diahk

Rough_Rock
This is weird. I just found out from the vendor that this is an overseas stone (Indian Ice?) and that if I were to return the stone it would have a 2% restocking fee. So I'm asking to have it re-examined to answer my concerns on eye clean from all angles before I make the decision. There were no documentation or anything stating the fee on their website and I just got it verbally. Also, they would not be able to provide an idealscope image until they receive the stone. Which means if there were anything wrong from the idealscope image I'd have to eat the restocking fee. What are your thoughts on this restocking fee?

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
^that is strange...

Re: the inclusion, I doubt you'll see it IRL. Maybe, but I doubt it. I agree with Kenny, the stone is so magnified that you WILL see it here, but most likely NOT IRL.

Re: the restocking fee... who's the vendor? It appears (from the picture) that it's possibly James Allen? If so, then that is strange but I don't know all of their policies. Did they tell you it was from India? Perhaps overseas doesn't necessarily mean it's Indian Ice, but maybe a different vendor from overseas has it?

Re: stone - I got my fiance a 33 CA/40.8 PA stone that got a HCA 0.8. The thing is super bright, and the fire that it has is very nice - certain angles the thing is like a fire cannon. I feel it has a great balance between the two (B/F), but mine has a slightly higher crown height (0.5%). The stone is awesome, I would prefer a 34 CA, but as far as I can tell there's no detrimental effect on the appearance OR light performance of the stone as it's still an AGA 1A ideal cut stone.. The IS image was schweet.

GVS1fire2_4.jpg

I like F colors, and if you can afford it and accept that you probably can only see the inclusion with a loupe then I say go for it if EVERYTHING fits the bill!

diahk

Rough_Rock
Whoa. That is amazing! Not sure if you watch the show. Looks like you have a little fiery dragon from Game of Thrones in your hands.

Re: the restocking fee... No it's not from James Allen. Not sure if I should name the vendor. I think they are a new ps vendor from my search of posts/threads in ps depending on the definition of new (+- 1yr). They did say the diamond is in India, but not sure if that means Indian Ice.

diahk

Rough_Rock
Here are the images that I just got from the vendor. What do you think about the stone from the the images?

2012-07-12_11.jpg

2012-07-12_0.jpg

diahk

Rough_Rock
Bump.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results