shape
carat
color
clarity

Not an Asscher

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I am anxiously waiting to find out if I got that stone...I literally NEVER buy stones that are treated with anything more than typical heat, but I saw this one and just wanted it. Fingers crossed.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fingers crossed for you!

I am seeing more and more irradiated blue topaz with excellent precision cuts. I think rough prices have gone so high that blue topaz is becoming an alternative, like silver when gold hit the roof.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1431911482|3877916 said:
Fingers crossed for you!

I am seeing more and more irradiated blue topaz with excellent precision cuts. I think rough prices have gone so high that blue topaz is becoming an alternative, like silver when gold hit the roof.

Interesting! Makes sense. I love being able to own large, high quality, precision cut gems (who doesn't??), but it's hard to afford most of the types I love best in sizes over the 1-2 ct range. It's much easier to afford a big stunning well cut irradiated topaz vs. a sapphire of the same size. Sometimes it's just nice to have perfection in a more common gem rather than a much tinier imperfect rare gem. Usually I go for the small rare stuff, but every so often I branch out.

Case in point: this precision cut 5+ ct topaz costs almost the exact same amount as I just spent on a tiny little 5 mm round, .61 ct paraiba tourmaline cab.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm missing the joke :confused:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, Neil, I copied the wrong Neil. Katharath has the right one. Oh, and Gene probably meant "can't cut" instead of "can cut".

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were going for blue topaz, I would go for Doug Menadue's gorgeous unheated blue topaz rough and have it cut in an asscher in a heartbeat! That rough was unbelievable for unheated and untreated...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1431912946|3877924 said:
Sorry, Neil, I copied the wrong Neil. Katharath has the right one. Oh, and Gene probably meant "can't cut" instead of "can cut".
Haha ok. I was feeling like a moron for a moment lol.

I love that chryso he had listed too, but that almost asscher is going to be great!

S

SparkliesLuver

katharath said:
I am anxiously waiting to find out if I got that stone...I literally NEVER buy stones that are treated with anything more than typical heat, but I saw this one and just wanted it. Fingers crossed.

:pray: It's a beauty. Keep us posted!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As per usual, the topaz is "out of stock" by the time I received my mail drop for Gene.

Looking forward to hear who is the lucky one.

DK :))

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed for you as well Kath! It's a gorgeous gem! :love: And I love Gene's comment on its cutting as well. :clap:

bling_prism

Rough_Rock
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too Katharath!

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
hope you could get it. It has nice color and nice cut.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I got it :)

First time I've EVER scored a gem from a Gene drop!

I just happened to check his site, I hadn't received the email yet either. But of course as we know, he usually posts his gems on Sundays - I just checked over on his site literally minutes after they were posted, and waaay before I actually got the email. Then I wasn't sure if I got it or not, bc it took an hour or two after I bought it for the gem status to change to "out of stock". So I thought that if it still showed available AFTER I bought it, it could've been sold BEFORE I "bought" it - if that makes sense. I knew I saw it before the email went out, but it was like 15 mins after he posted on twitter, so I thought I might be too late. And the chryso had sold even before I bought the topaz.

Anyway - thank you to everyone who wished me good luck :). I'm excited to see it, I'll post pics when it arrives.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Congrats with your newest addition. It looks like an amazing 'not Asscher' 8-)
Looking forward to admire your pics and to see how you will set it :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a bit ridiculous, considering that EVERYone uses the name Asscher. They should be happy that anyone actually knows their name/cut, honestly.

Maybe a little less money on lawyers, and a bit more on actually building their "asscher" brand . . . :rolleyes:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
iLander|1432002312|3878297 said:
I think it's a bit ridiculous, considering that EVERYone uses the name Asscher. They should be happy that anyone actually knows their name/cut, honestly.

Maybe a little less money on lawyers, and a bit more on actually building their "asscher" brand . . . :rolleyes:

The Asscher family actually goes after a lot of people. It is their trademark, after all.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1432002522|3878300 said:
iLander|1432002312|3878297 said:

The Asscher family actually goes after a lot of people. It is their trademark, after all.

They should license it, they'd make a lot of money . . .

bling_prism

Rough_Rock
Congrats and yay Katharath! Can't wait to see your pics of this blue beauty! :cheeky:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At some point the name becomes generic.. Like Kleenex. Imagine if we all had to say "facial tissues" or else Kimberley Clark would come after us.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mochiko42|1432076809|3878712 said:
At some point the name becomes generic.. Like Kleenex. Imagine if we all had to say "facial tissues" or else Kimberley Clark would come after us.

If you are trying to sell facial tissue, you better not call it Kleenex. Kimberley Clark will go after you. Gene is selling an Asscher style stone, not just talking about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results