shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-sentimenal about e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ok. I''m a very emotional/sentimental person...usually. My FI gave me a BEAUTIFUL Simon G engagement ring, which at the time he left a CZ in it so we could pick out the diamond together. I LOVE that ring! Months went by with no mention from him about going diamond shopping. When I brought it up, he was happy to oblige, but his "diamond savings" had dwindled down, which is fair b/c we are sharing the wedding expenses with my parents. I found a stone that I love at a jeweler that my family had gone to for years. Pretty much exact same dimensions as the CZ. It cost more than he had saved, so I paid for a portion so neither of us had to put any money on our credit cards. So far so good!

WELL, when the jeweler set the diamond, he MANGLED the basket. Well, maybe I''m over reacting a BIT. The stone is set slightly off cener and off level. Not many people can see it, but I''m very detail oriented. And the prongs don''t look the same. The ring is still wearable, still looks pretty. But it''s not the same as when my FI gave it to me. When I asked the jeweler to fit it, they said that they couldn''t.

It''s been 6 months of me obsessing over it, and it still bothers me a bit. I''d like to get the basket replaced, but every Simon G dealer says that they have to send the ring away to Simon G before they even know IF the basket can be replaced (alternative: buy a new setting, which would upset me, because FI gave me THIS setting). I even asked about sending pictures, but they all said no.

Finally last night I contacted Simon G online on their "contact us" form, just to ask if they think it might be possible to replace the basket on that particular setting. I''m waiting for a reply, but what if they don''t write back?
5.gif

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that really stinks!! I wouldn''t bother going back to the family jeweler for any further repairs on it. I would send it to Simon G and that''s it.

If the problems really bug you, I''d just send it off to Simon G and have it fixed. Has the family jeweler admitted that he damaged the setting? If so, then tell him you are sending it back to the manufacturer and will give him a bill for the repair work.

Even if that doesn''t happen, then get it fixed anyways. It will always bug you.

Take this from someone who had the family jeweler mangle her setting too.

Good luck!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks October! The family jeweler definitely did not admit that he did something wrong, and to tell you the truth, the shady way that he responded to me asking him to fix it and the way that the prongs overly cover one corner of my princess cut makes me a little scared that he chipped the stone!

The reason why I''d like to know if repair is even possible before I send the ring away is because I''d like to have the stone removed before sending it. I''d probably get this done at Quest jewelers. They are near where FI lives, I''ve heard great reviews on them, and when I spoke with them they said that they''d remove the stone in front of me. I figure then I''d know if any damage that might have been made to my stone was there as a result of the family jeweler for legal/insurance reasons. i.e. I''d hate to send it to Simon G with the stone in it, have them take the stone out to find it chipped, and have take their word for it that the stone was damaged before. I''ve heard great things about Simon G and believe they are reputable. I do not think at all that Simon G would give me a dishonest report. I would just hate for them to get caught up in any insurance drama if it leads to that.
40.gif

Also, I wouldn''t want to pay to get the stone removed, pay to ship it to Simon G, only to find out that the ring can''t be repaired. Isn''t there anyway I can find out if repair is possible BEFORE shipping the ring off??

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ok. Luckily I had contact information for someone at Simon G and he got back to me very quickly. It turns out they can replace the basket!!! However, they are unable to provide even a ballpark estimate of the cost before they see the ring in person.

Has anyone had the basket of their platinum engagement ring replaced? Mind sharing how much it cost? I''m just wondering if I''m looking at spending a couple of hundred dollars or $1000 or more?

Thank you so much!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm well if you ask me - you should get your family jeweler to cover the costs. what he did is completely unacceptable. is he an authorized simon g distributor? is that where you FI bought the ering from? is so - he is liable!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and I think you should have the diamond reset by Simon G themselves. My fiance had my diamond set by Ritani themselves and the workmaship is great... There were no problems whatsoever even though he bought the diamond from our local jeweler.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m not surprised there was a problem setting your diamond. Any time a ring has had a CZ mounted, it''s unlikely that a diamond reset will be 100%. The prongs are notched differently for a CZ (much thicker girdle) than for a diamond, and I''ve read jewelers say that the prongs will loosen due to that. Your jeweler probably knew that, and tried to set them extra firmly. Unfortunately the result was some mangling
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results