shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-Gia Certified Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yellowledbetter

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a 1.5 carat princess cut diamond as close to G color as possible, and clarity of SI2 or better. What I have found is that it is tough to find this diamond for less than $8,000 without really sacrificing on the cut.

I recently went to a very reputable diamond wholesaler here in Dallas. I looked at three beautiful 1.4 diamonds that were close to the $8000 range. I told the salesperson I really want to get to 1.5. She brought back a 1.52 carat diamond, G color, SI2, Table 68%, Depth 69% but with no certification. It is $7500. After looking at the diamond under a 10X scope it was really difficult to find any flaws. I found one small one on the edge, but it was barely noticeable under the magnifying glass. Also, the diamond is beautiful. I have been to multiple stores and have not found anything this big as pretty as that one.

My questions is this: Is it too much of a risk to buy a non-certified diamond? The owner said that if it was certified the price could go up almost $1000. They said I can get it certified myself, but unless I was planning on selling it somewhere else later they think it would be a waste of money. This place also provides a 100% trade up policy with no restrictions on the trade-up price, so if I don't like the diamond at any time I can bring it back and put it towards another diamond.

Any help would be appreciated.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not too much of a risk if you can get it INDEPENDENTLY appraised before purchase. Make sure to pick an appraiser that has the tools to determine the cut quality too, because that is really what will make a diamond sparkle vs. one that looks like a piece of glass.

yellowledbetter

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help. How do I go about getting it appraised before I buy it?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I may be cynical, but I don''t get it. The cost of a GIA report for a 1.52 ct is $110 (or $100 for the slightly cheaper "diamond dossier" without the stone plot). Add on another $100 of return shipping. Subtract $1000 of "cert added value" and the dealer is leaving on the table $800???

Notwithstanding the upgrade policy, I don''t think you are getting something that would be graded G/SI2 by GIA. You may be getting a good looking stone, perhaps even with a good cut, but no-one is going to leave a 12% price improvement (which could mean 50% of margin) on the table. I would steer well clear of the dealer.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 5:25:42 PM
Author: yellowledbetter
Thank you for your help. How do I go about getting it appraised before I buy it?
Hi, Yellow, saw this other post of yours.

If you were considering the WF option addressed here...they''d probably triangulate with an appraiser also near you, on this board. And they''re good to work with.

Given your wants...though unaware of the details of your budget...if you can deal with the dissonance...this one sort of fits the bill, except for the price. Neatfreak''s option does fit the price better, I know. It''s probably a good deal, and could well be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results