shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-customized settings - B&M v. e-tailer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mysterodude

Rough_Rock
I''m about to pull the trigger on a loose diamond on James Allen and was wondering if I should get their side-stone setting as well or go to a B&M to have it set. I believe the prices are about the same (B&M might be more w/ sales tax). I''ve heard that some B&Ms charge a per carat fee for setting diamonds too, so that might make it cost more. I''m confident on the setting I want (which is a simple setting with 4-5 round sidestones on each end, not something customized), but wasn''t sure about the differences between the two venues. Would B&Ms provide better policies? Would it be a hassle to have two different retailers working on one ring?

Thanks for your recommendations.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/16/2010 2:04:05 PM
Author:Mysterodude
I''m about to pull the trigger on a loose diamond on James Allen and was wondering if I should get their side-stone setting as well or go to a B&M to have it set. I believe the prices are about the same (B&M might be more w/ sales tax). I''ve heard that some B&Ms charge a per carat fee for setting diamonds too, so that might make it cost more. I''m confident on the setting I want (which is a simple setting with 4-5 round sidestones on each end, not something customized), but wasn''t sure about the differences between the two venues. Would B&Ms provide better policies? Would it be a hassle to have two different retailers working on one ring?

Thanks for your recommendations.

Most stores do charge a "setting fee" if the center stone was not purchased from them. My suggestion would be to go with what setting you think she will like the best. If the settings are priced the exact same, you wouldn''t have to pay for taxes online nor would you have to pay a setting fee if you purchased the setting from JA.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
If the settings are comparable in style, and you know her ring size (or close), in my view, it''s always easier and safer to have the vendor set it. Their insurance covers the stone in the rare -- very rare -- case that the stone is damaged during setting.

I''ve ordered rings and diamonds both ways -- set and unset -- and having the ring set by the vendor is by far the easiest!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results