20160823_105933.jpg

20160823_110913.jpg

20160823_3.jpg

20160823_4.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lisa,

Please read what I posted on your other thread. Do the same (photograph against white, close ups, home tests) for the first item here, the strand. The lack of knots between the pearls and the way it is finished-- with the little bead ends-- is typical of lower-end strands and imitations, but do the photos and tests.
For the next three... the 2nd photo look like imitation pearls to me, as well as the last photo.

Probably the brooch is also imitation-- but please look closer to see if it is stamped with a metal mark. If it is stamped with a gold mark (14K, 585) then take the brooch somewhere to have the stone tested. From your photo I'm thinking it's a rhinestone but if the metal is gold and the stone is a diamond, then I'm sure it's safe to think the pearls are genuine akoyas.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I have some vintage jewelry items that are still in the original jewelry box. They are marked "cultured pearls," but set in base metal. We have to remember that once upon a time, the word "cultured" was a negative, as if cultured pearls weren't real pearls.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is true...I also have a brooch from my childhood, given to me by my late brother-- heart shaped, with imitation stones and one small cultured pearl.

Lisa216

Rough_Rock
Ok thankyou i will retake the pictures with white bk ground. All i know these were givin to my mum when she turned 16 and 21 shes 60 now... and last pic with blue stones that was a gift on her wedding something blue to my great great grandmother over 80 years ago Give or take a few years..

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you are in doubt I urge you to have the stones tested. But be aware that even gold can be set with synthetic stones.

I inherited 18K gold earrings from my grandmother that had glass stones (she thought they were aquamarines), and a 14K gold ring that was set with a synthetic spinel (also supposedly aquamarine). I used to play with these when I was a little girl and I'm 60 now. Synthetics have been in use for a long time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results