shape
carat
color
clarity

No coverage during resetting--is this true??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Earlier post''s heading was unclear....body from previous post below:

Hello,
Based on our research on PS, we contacted Chubb to get insurance on my ering. Thanks to PS, we found an agency in our area that was actually recommended here. Things have been pretty straightforward, except for a couple of things. I hope someone here can help us understand what''s going on.

The diamond is mounted in a temporary setting. We need to send the diamond to a jeweler in CA, have it reset in the new setting, and then sent back to us. Chubb has said that they cover the ring while in transit, but that "while it is in the jewelers hands his insurance should provide coverage." We know from talking with the jeweler that this is not the case - which makes sense since we didn''t get the stone from him. And, from reading on posts here, I understand that most jewelers follow this practice of covering the diamond only if its theirs (except for a few PS vendors). However, I am a little troubled about insurance not covering the ring. I mean, this is why we wanted insurance. Does anyone who has Chubb know if their policy will cover the diamond in case something happens to it during setting?
33.gif

It seems like this would be similar to having a ring cleaned. When you take your ring to a jeweler to have it cleaned, does that jeweler accept responsibility if it gets chipped while there? I would assume not, since they don''t know the characteristics of the stone. Would Chubb cover that?
33.gif

Hopefully we are worrying needlessly (it''s a VS2 with no flaws on the girdle, so hopefully less likely to chip or crack during setting). Still, it would be nice to get a definite answer.

One more question--this is sort of worrisome for me. We haven''t been able to get a copy of the actual policy to read the terms (Masterpiece Valuables). Is that normal? It is getting a little stressful for me because I want to make sure we get the coverage we want, insure the ring and finally get the stone set into my "forever" setting. I hope someone here can help with my questions.
33.gif

cectra79

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have Chubb but it seems very strange that they won''t cover your stone. Did the rep tell you this? Once you have the coverage in place, it should cover everything. Try harder to get the policy, and read the fine print. It shouldn''t make a difference what you do with your ring once it''s insured.

I would higly recommend Travelers, you have to have home owners through them too though. The premium is almost $60 less for my ring compared to Jewelers Mutual (284 vs 341 a year).

robh505

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately (can someone please prove me wrong?) I think this is the case. I have USAA, which also will not cover a diamond while it''s in the hands of the jeweler.

Now, the jeweler should provide insurance from things like fire, theft, etc... But, they will not provide insurance for breakage when the stone is being set by the setters. I have not found a way to get around this and it does make me a little nervous.

Hopefully Leon won''t break my stone.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have travelers and was explicitly told that my stone is covered for damage or loss during setting/resetting, but not for recut/repolish. I previously had Jewelers Mutual and was told the same thing.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/11/2008 4:36:07 PM
Author: robh505
Unfortunately (can someone please prove me wrong?) I think this is the case. I have USAA, which also will not cover a diamond while it''s in the hands of the jeweler.

Now, the jeweler should provide insurance from things like fire, theft, etc... But, they will not provide insurance for breakage when the stone is being set by the setters. I have not found a way to get around this and it does make me a little nervous.

Hopefully Leon won''t break my stone.

Repeat after me: Jewelers Mutual. Jewelers Mutual. Jewelers Mutual.

You get an appraisal of the stone and of the mounting and submit it PRIOR to having the stone mounted and only once it is covered do you let the benchman start work. There are some threads on the process here on this board and you are covered 100%.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
P.S. Talk with Neil Beatty about it if you have questions, he is one of the recommended appraisers here.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know my diamond was covered during it''s recent reset. I have JM.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 5:10:02 PM
Author: Wink

Repeat after me: Jewelers Mutual. Jewelers Mutual. Jewelers Mutual.

You get an appraisal of the stone and of the mounting and submit it PRIOR to having the stone mounted and only once it is covered do you let the benchman start work. There are some threads on the process here on this board and you are covered 100%.

Wink
Okay, I am confused. I thought having my stone set in a temp setting by the jeweler who sold me the stone; then, getting insurance on the current ring would allow us to have protection for when the stone was finally set in its permanent setting. But, that doesn''t seem to working out. Um, I feel like I missed something.

Cectra79 --yup, the rep said our jeweler would cover the stone during resetting

Robh505--you and I both

Ericad--what is repolishing?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
What Wink is saying is that with JM it would be covered as long as both the diamond and the mounting were "insured" beforehand. I believe the same would apply with your temp setting, but you''d want to call to be sure. JM covered both my diamond and setting during my recent reset (it was an insurance claim but only the setting was damaged). They covered it because my diamond AND ring were insured before the reset.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hello Neatfreak!
Okay, I think I get it how it would work...with JM. However, I am still confused about Chubb.
8.gif
I would prefer Chubb because of the cash-out option (forgive me Wink
3.gif
). Any more thoughts?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the vote of confidence Wink!

I’m definitely a fan of JM but, in this case, I think your agent may be misadvising you. If the diamond is already mounted in a covered piece and it’s damaged during the process of restyling, I would fully expect this to be a covered loss under a standard Chubb policy (and most other reputable insurers as well). Call the 800# for the company and ask them about this. They may decide to sue the jeweler over it if they feel there was professional negligence involved, but this will be between them and the jeweler. It shouldn't be about you unless they think somehow you were involved in causing the damage.

Where the JM program really shines is when the stone isn’t yet mounted. They will bind a policy for a finished ring while it’s still in the component stage and others will not. This means that the initial assembly will be covered under JM and the other companies I know of won’t bind the policy until after all initial work is completed.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 6:23:56 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Thanks for the vote of confidence Wink!

I’m definitely a fan of JM but, in this case, I think your agent may be misadvising you. If the diamond is already mounted in a covered piece and it’s damaged during the process of restyling, I would fully expect this to be a covered loss under a standard Chubb policy (and most other reputable insurers as well). Call the 800# for the company and ask them about this. They may decide to sue the jeweler over it if they feel there was professional negligence involved, but this will be between them and the jeweler. It shouldn''t be about you unless they think somehow you were involved in causing the damage.

Where the JM program really shines is when the stone isn’t yet mounted. They will bind a policy for a finished ring while it’s still in the component stage and others will not. This means that the initial assembly will be covered under JM and the other companies I know of won’t bind the policy until after all initial work is completed.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver
Hello Mr. Beaty,
Thank you for your comments. I guess we need to talk to Chubb some more. I am a little baffled about why we haven''t been able to actually look at a policy to understand the terms of the coverage.
7.gif
But, all of this is new to me.

My stone is currently set in a classic white gold setting at the moment. But, it''s ultimate "home" is going to be a platinum setting with two dainty sidestones.
30.gif
I''m pretty excited about it.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for explaining Ericad. Now I understand.

Regarding my insurance questions, I hope we get more detailed information on Monday and can move forward (one way or the other) with my ring.
hmmm.gif

Thank you all for your help with this (stressful) stuff. I appreciate it.
thankyou.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 11:22:33 AM
Author: AnitaT

Regarding my insurance questions, I hope we get more detailed information on Monday and can move forward (one way or the other) with my ring.
hmmm.gif

thankyou.gif

I''m glad you''re hopefully getting some answers. Please let us know what they say...

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 12:36:52 PM
Author: angeline

I''m glad you''re hopefully getting some answers. Please let us know what they say...
Oh Angeline,
I really do HOPE we get some reassuring information tomorrow and I sure will report back what we hear.

On a different note, Larry has been waiting so patiently for us to get a stone we like (thanks GOG and all the good folks there) for his lovely setting and, now, with us this close...I can''t help but feel it is Murphy''s law to have something slow us down.
9.gif
I guess I can take some solace in the fact that we haven''t signed anything yet just in case things don''t work out. (fingers crossed that they DO work out)

Hmmm...that makes me wonder ...is there anything we should ask Chubb that I am forgetting?
32.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems like a no-brainer question to me, but I''ll ask it anyway. Have you read your policy docs? I have Chubb and I read my policy before I sent it in for re-setting and I don''t recall being concerned about my stone while it was with Ocean. I didn''t call anyone to verify because the information was in my policy. What does you policy say?

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 9:18:46 PM
Author: Gypsy
Seems like a no-brainer question to me, but I''ll ask it anyway. Have you read your policy docs? I have Chubb and I read my policy before I sent it in for re-setting and I don''t recall being concerned about my stone while it was with Ocean. I didn''t call anyone to verify because the information was in my policy. What does you policy say?
Hi Gypsy,

That is sort of part of the problem--the rep we contacted hasn''t given us any documents to review. When we requested additional information, we received a pamphlet outlining general information. The rep has sent us an application and asked us to sign and send it back.

We are trying to get more information but aren''t getting much detailed information back so far.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh. Okay. Well, I had my policy docs in hand, so it''s different.

In that case, I''d call Chubb.
9.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 12:36:52 PM
Author: angeline

Date: 7/13/2008 11:22:33 AM

hmmm.gif

thankyou.gif

No one got back to us. When we called, we found out the person we had talked was out for the rest of the day. (sigh)

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I'll be interested to hear what you learn on this.

A quick side note: Chubb is not the only carrier around that offers a cash-out option. When I researched for my e-ring five years ago, three local insurance companies were willing to provide a cash-out policy (also termed agreed-value or agreed-amount).

Do check with other local insurance carriers as well; not only will you find variances in price but likely a few options to select from.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 9:35:17 PM

Date: 7/13/2008 9:18:46 PM
Author: Gypsy
Hi Gypsy,

That is sort of part of the problem--the rep we contacted hasn''t given us any documents to review. When we requested additional information, we received a pamphlet outlining general information. The rep has sent us an application and asked us to sign and send it back.

We are trying to get more information but aren''t getting much detailed information back so far.
Ummm..this is actually Illegal.
As you probably know, any insurance is a financial services product. Therefore Chubb (or anybody else) is required by law to provide you with a full Policy Disclosure Schedule (PDS) within a reasonable time of you taking out the product, or even when you requested a quote for the service.
I don''t know what that timeframe is where you live, but it seems your rep has had ample time.

Is the PDS available to download online?

Either that or I would start to light a bit of a fire under your rep..

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
I am happy to say that YES, my ring will be covered during resetting! Whew! Our rep got back to us and sent us the PDS (thanks for teaching me that term Arjunajane
1.gif
). So, after much research, my ring is insured and has been mailed off for its final setting.
36.gif

So, let''s see, next time I see it...there will be a major question involved. Wow.
6.gif
Wow.
9.gif

Thanks everyone. Arjunajane, btw, I love GoG too. Good folks over there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results