shape
carat
color
clarity

Niwaka Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparklemotion

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

This is my first "official" post, although i''ve been reading for quite some time. I think that i''ve learned a lot about diamonds over the last 3 or 4 months, and feel fairly educated having been to several jewelers here in New York City (Tiffany''s, Michael C. Fina, Mimi So, Harry Winston, Piaget, Cartier, etc)...You get the picture. I''ve looked around a lot!

My girlfriend is in love with Niwaka, a small couture Japanese jeweler that has a boutique in Soho here in the city. This is the only store of theirs in America, so they are quite exclusive. All of their other stores are in Japan. I know that some have posted items relating to Niwaka on this forum, and I, too tend to be fairly confused about their markup on diamonds. While their jewelry is gorgeous and immaculate in design, aesthetic and quality, their diamonds are extremely expensive. For example, a .52 ct round brilliant D VVS2 EX/VG goes for about $7200. A 1.0 ct RB F VS1 EX/EX is around $12000. Their diamonds are gorgeous, but they only offer a GIA report with them, and when I mentioned (to the very nice lady there) if whether or not they offered any other grading reports (ex AGS, Sarin, etc), I got a blank stare. She truly did not know exactly what I was talking about. While I do not fault her for their overpricing, or lack of other grading reports, i''m trying to justify what exactly is the allure to paying these type of prices.

There is so much data out there for grading diamonds now. Niwaka has "H&A" diamonds...they are beautiful, but after being bombarded with all the information i''ve learned, i''m wondering whether it''s simply a matter of putting your trust in the hands of a name and letting the intangibles be. People buy Tiffany''s, not just for the blue box, but for the support - the "knowing" that you bought into legendary quality and that you are becoming apart of that tradition. These are things i''m wondering about. When someone buys something at such incredible markup, is that what you really are paying for in the end? Just so you have the ability to say "yes, I bought a diamond from X or Y," for piece of mind? Obviously, for high-rollers, price is not a concern. There does seem to be a fine line, however, for feeling somehow that you are getting the short end of the stick in the end.

Some have suggested to buy the diamond of choice, then take it in to the store. You have to pay a "custom" charge of $1500-2000 to do so. Seems one way or another they are going to get the markup. Having someone else "custom" make the piece just doesn''t seem to feel right, either. It''s truly a one of a kind setting, and I would always feel as if I bought second best. I know for some this would not be a difficult choice to make.

So i''m wondering how you all feel about setting aside all the figures and data to go with the company''s setting and diamond (Tiffany, Niwaka, Cartier, etc)? You have to agree that their is something about getting a piece from a well respected jeweler, even when the diamond specs are a little out of your control. I have to admit, i''ve never seen a bad Tiffany diamond, regardless of how much I know about grading, etc. Are "firescopes," and "brillant scopes" etc a bit overrated? Is there such a thing as being "too" educated about something like diamonds? Isn''t it the human eye in the end that matters most, not mathematical figures? I know my lady will care less about this...i''m starting to wonder.

Can you sense my confustion/frustration!
40.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I had seen diamonds that are nicely than Tiffany''s. But when you say that you had never seen a bad Tiffany''s diamond, I wonder if you are saying so because you had only seen them in the Tiffany store under their brilliant lighting. Everything will look nice under those lights. I am not saying Tiffany''s diamonds are not good, just that they might look nicer than they would in normal lights.

You have a trust issue with non "brand name" jewellery, but there are lots of reputable jewellery out there. Just because they are not worldwide jewellery doesn''t mean their work is second best. You equate the name with quality. If that makes you feel comfortable, then you probably should buy from the name.

Like you said "Isn''t it the human eye in the end that matters most, not mathematical figures?", then why are you so concerned with brand name?

sparklemotion

Rough_Rock
Hey, thanks for your response.

I have some friends with Tiffany stones, and they all look beauiful. Anywhere and everywhere. Not just underneath those bright halogens in the store. Just about any store that is up to snuff will have that installed.

As for brand, i''m actually not that concerned with it, but as I stated before, my girlfriend is the one set on the Niwaka setting, therefore, I am in a mental conundrum of having to either over pay for one of their diamonds, or over pay for a setting of theirs if I buy a diamond from somewhere else.

I know, everyone has heard this argument before, but I guess it makes me feel better to get it out in the open since this isn''t the kind of thing you can talk about with the other half (if you know what i''m saying!)

Let''s just say a support network of like-minded enthusiast is always helpful! I was just trying to get some other opinions regarding the "big names." I believe that Niwaka is a bit more obscure, but just as quality oriented as say Tiffany, Cartier, etc but they are Japanese. I only make this comparison because they are charging similar prices, and are a rather unique company. I guess the simple answer to their high, exhorbatant prices are no easier to explain than the other stores....

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
$12,000 for a 1ct!? No Thank You. Brand name or not. Diamonds are diamonds. There are good ones. There are bad ones. If you don''t want to do your homework, buying brand name is fine. But if you are going to spend time educating yourself, why would you want to spend money on a name. Does the ring come with a special branding machine that will "stamp" the brand name on your forehead? Will I automatically lose those last 7 pounds of baby weight if I buy it? Will it clean my house for year? No?! Then I''d rather get a bigger diamond or save the money! But that''s just me!

I am not sure what the Nikawa setting is, but if it is worth about $4000...then, maybe it''s not so bad....... but if it is just a plain solitaire, Yikes!

sparklemotion

Rough_Rock
haha...just the plain solitaire.

The setting is about $900.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
You seem stuck on brand names...which is fine if that is what you want. I personally would prefer a larger diamond over a brand name smaller one. How is anyone going to know just by looking at it that it was bought at Tiffany's, Cartier, etc? Especially if it's in a plain solitaire setting...no one. People will only know if you tell them. Will you be telling everyone who admires the ring that you bought it at Niwaka, even if people don't ask where you got it? I'll bet most people won't know the name...I've never heard of it before. Of course your eyes have the final decision, but I would go for a diamond that you are able to get all the info such as Sarin report and Ideal Scope, etc. If you are looking to spend $12000, you can get a kick-a$$ Hearts & Arrows for that price. Even if your budget is less.

Edited to add: You said your girlfriend is in love with the setting from Niwaka, and then later said it was just a plain solitaire setting. You can get that setting in any jewelry store so there is no need to pay $900 for one and buy the stone elsewhere.

In the end it is your decision where to buy. My vote is non-branded larger stone!!
30.gif
Let us know what you decide.

sparklemotion

Rough_Rock
Niwaka settings do not take large stones, only a couple take up to 1ct. Most only hold up to .50 or .70 ct weights. It''s a completely different aesthetic and appeal overall, and apparently a typical Asian thing since most women there are rather slim and petite in size. My GF is Korean, so it fits nicely. The designs are clean, organic, and unique. Check it out sometime. The Niwaka Website

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
yeah I think Niwaka designs have Asian women in mind. I am Chinese and I too like the "liquid movement" feeling that the Niwaka setting gives. I love the setting too but I think they are overpriced for their diamonds. One other thing to keep in mind, they create the setting to hold smaller diamond because most people in Japan cannot afford large diamonds. When it comes down to it, if that''s the ring your gf loves and she has to have it then do what make her happy. For the same a amount of money, I would prefer a ring with larger diamond from a reputable jewellery over a brand name ones.

Which style in particular do your gf likes?? Just curious.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2004 9:23:39 PM
Author:sparklemotion
Hello everyone,

While I do not fault her for their overpricing, or lack of other grading reports, i''m trying to justify what exactly is the allure to paying these type of prices. [...]

Having someone else ''custom'' make the piece just doesn''t seem to feel right, either. It''s truly a one of a kind setting, and I would always feel as if I bought second best.

Just look at the two sentences above one next to the other - I think the answer to "why Niwaka" is right there!

Some of their settings are unique to NIwaka the brand, others come from other designers as well. If you were browsing Japanese and European jewelry catalogs you will find these matches, just like you can for Tiffany in the US - even more so, since some of the settings are quite minimalistic.

Not sure why GIA only is a problem ? You can check if the diamonds come anywhere near to H&A... I am surprised that Niwaka does not provide the extra information or Japanese graded H&A for that matter.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of that "custom charge" - maybe some outsider diamons are worth the splurge ?
31.gif

0.36ct719M-new-big.jpg

I know some of the Niwaka designs have a small blue diamond on the back.. how about a small pink one for the front ?

sparklemotion

Rough_Rock
Valeria,

Yeah, an outside diamond with one of their settings will probably be much cheaper in the end. I was actually thinking of doing that, and getting the best quality since I would only be buying a 1/2 ct stone. Maybe even a D IF for grins :)

This setting seems to be popular, and yes, does come with a .02 ct blue stone on the underside (which you can see in the upper right corner of the pic the underside view). It is called "Maple." The blue stone, in Japan, is to symbolize good luck with you always. The picture doesn''t really do the ring justice. It also has a beautiful matching band to go along with it.

niwaka.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2004 122:23 PM
Author: sparklemotion
Valeria,

Maybe even a D IF for grins :)
Sure! once you start with "size does not matter" lots of pleasant possibilities can take place...

The VS pink is 36 points and 2.5k, btw ... can't see any D/IF H&A cut listed by default, but this should be entirely feasibe
5.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
I believe its all a matter of what your GF really wants. Just like wanting the Tiffany name, regardless of whether you could spend the same money to get just as good, or a better diamond online, thats whats important.
I just returned from Japan and spent mucho time looking at the Niwaka line and others in Japan. And also from just looking at the ladies there, you can tell they choose brand name over size. in all the stores i went to, i dont think i saw one ering with a stone any larger than 0.7, and yes, they were very expensive. but they like petite jewelry, with a nice, small quality stone in it. and as someone else mentioned, very fluid lines. i dont remember seeing one native Japanese lady with a large diamond ering or wedding band..mine was monstrous compared to what they were used to seeing. one sales lady even asked..politely of course, if it was real! but again, its really a cultural difference. In Japan (and i am Japanese), i feel they are more drawn to the brand name more than anything..and that goes for jewelry and fashion alike. my humble .02.. :)
I say if she loves it, go for it!
9.gif
31.gif

sparklemotion

Rough_Rock
Thanks Bling! I appreciate your candid honesty on the matter!

Do you by chance have loan services? He he.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a little improvement on the photo posted above. Too much time on my hands late today....

0.36ct719M-new-big2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2004 4:15:32 PM
Author: oldminer
Here is a little improvement on the photo posted above. Too much time on my hands late today....
Gee! I thought that''s not fair game!
9.gif
Those tinted backgrounds surely tell allot
11.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
.... there is this bit of software that reduces a refference area to neutral gray with mathematical precission. The result is below: still some pink around
20.gif

NG12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results