shape
carat
color
clarity

Nice “score” - thanks eBay.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
04CEAE56-9640-4C2A-89FC-7632BEA26FA2.jpeg Over the years I’ve had some great “scores” in terms of jewelery pieces. Though I have a rule, I don’t take advantage of naive ordinary sellers ie people selling inherited pieces with no idea of composition or value. I’ll message them telling them to get a jeweler to look at it before they sell it for a pittance. Business or long standing sellers are however “fair game” in my book!
I spotted this sweet little ring a few weeks ago “Stirling (sic) with blue stone”. I recognised it as an 1980s Avon reward pin. $30 with free shipping. That’s about $20 US. So I bought it and it came today.
This was from a pawnbroker business and they couldn’t even spell Sterling correctly. Sigh.
Hang on, it’s clearly hallmarked for 9ct gold (6 grams worth - which I acid tested). And that’s a sapphire, about 1 carat.
Score.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s really a nice score!! What are you going to do with it? Use it as it is, or use the sapphire for an other piece of jewelry?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But why would such a fabulous and large sapphire be set in a 9k gold Avon award ring?
Are you sure this is a natural sapphire?
{I don't mean to be disrespectful, Bron, 'cause I know you are very knowledgeable about jewelry!, but this seems odd to me)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But why would such a fabulous and large sapphire be set in a 9k gold Avon award ring?
Are you sure this is a natural sapphire?
{I don't mean to be disrespectful, Bron, 'cause I know you are very knowledgeable about jewelry!, but this seems odd to me)
That was my first thought, it can’t be real. However upon magnified inspection I can see colour zoning and crystal flaws attributable to natural sapphires. It’s interesting, the older Avon award pins were set in gold and used larger and natural gemstones. As the years passed the awards moved to “gilt” (GP on sterling) and the gemstone size shrank by more than half! And the Australian ones, made in Australia (hence the “ct” rather than American “k”) used Australian sapphires. It’s set as a ring which I’m wearing on my right pinky!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was my first thought, it can’t be real. However upon magnified inspection I can see colour zoning and crystal flaws attributable to natural sapphires. It’s interesting, the older Avon award pins were set in gold and used larger and natural gemstones. As the years passed the awards moved to “gilt” (GP on sterling) and the gemstone size shrank by more than half! And the Australian ones, made in Australia (hence the “ct” rather than American “k”) used Australian sapphires. It’s set as a ring which I’m wearing on my right pinky!
Well, that's great news! The color is fabulous on that sapphire.
Ebay is a wonderful source for vintage jewelry. I have quite a few pieces that I bought on a hunch that the stones were genuine. It's a real relief to get them in hand and confirm for yourself that you made a good choice!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Brom, can you teach me to have your smarts and skills in this area please?

Where and what, should I start studying dear Sensei?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very pretty @Bron357!:love: Nice score.:appl:

LoveRed

Shiny_Rock
Trade
04CEAE56-9640-4C2A-89FC-7632BEA26FA2.jpeg Over the years I’ve had some great “scores” in terms of jewelery pieces. Though I have a rule, I don’t take advantage of naive ordinary sellers ie people selling inherited pieces with no idea of composition or value. I’ll message them telling them to get a jeweler to look at it before they sell it for a pittance. Business or long standing sellers are however “fair game” in my book!
I spotted this sweet little ring a few weeks ago “Stirling (sic) with blue stone”. I recognised it as an 1980s Avon reward pin. $30 with free shipping. That’s about $20 US. So I bought it and it came today.
This was from a pawnbroker business and they couldn’t even spell Sterling correctly. Sigh.
Hang on, it’s clearly hallmarked for 9ct gold (6 grams worth - which I acid tested). And that’s a sapphire, about 1 carat.
Score.
. America, we here are very mixed, too much illiteracy by far.:confused: But there are some awesome flea markets and estate sales !!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Bron. I, also, would be kind to the individuals who were selling inherited pieces (if I had your expertise), but you well know that most people would not. You are such a great woman!

Hugs,
Deb :wavey:

mermaid76

Rough_Rock
What an awesome find! I have now made up my mind to buy my jewelry mainly from ebay (reputable sellers of course!). Beats retail overhead anyday. I am pretty new to this community and my interest in jewelry only about a year old, but boy has that year been productive in building up a collection:twisted2:

LoveRed

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What an awesome find! I have now made up my mind to buy my jewelry mainly from ebay (reputable sellers of course!). Beats retail overhead anyday. I am pretty new to this community and my interest in jewelry only about a year old, but boy has that year been productive in building up a collection:twisted2:
have fun building a collection, there is A LOT still out there. Very surprising how many “dealers” have little knowledge. I have bought big antique gold and diamond pendants for small price at jewelry auctions while everyone was talking and eating!! Have fun!

LoveRed

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Congratulations, Bron. I, also, would be kind to the individuals who were selling inherited pieces (if I had your expertise), but you well know that most people would not. You are such a great woman!

Hugs,
Deb :wavey:
Bron IS awesome!!!

MegWeddingIdeas

Rough_Rock
Trade
That is indeed a pretty piece of jewelry, I would definitely wear it, if you don't fancy the rather big design you might consider making it a pendant!

Either way, WOW!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Brom, can you teach me to have your smarts and skills in this area please?

Where and what, should I start studying dear Sensei?

+1 to this.

Amazing find Bron and absolutely lovely on your fingers!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results