shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie with questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Hi!
I found this site when I sick and bored and looking for loose stones.
I never found what I was looking for (a princess-cut greenish blue montana sapphire that will fit a pretty standard 5mm setting, ) but I did spend a whole bunch of time looking at everyone''s amazing stuff on here. Wow. I never knew there other rock geeks out there who actually prefer other gemstones over a diamond.

Oh, and I did make a wee little purchase over at multi-colour in the form of a colour-change sapphire.
And yes, I know, apparently I have terrible taste in sapphires, because I am fond of the slate-grey blues, and greenish-hued blues, but in truth, this has always worked out well for me since what I like is usually pretty cheap.
9.gif
(don''t worry, I DO like the Padparadschas as well, so it evens out in the end
2.gif
)
So, while I''m waiting patiently for its arrival, what does everyone think?
I have a thing for rose gold, and was thinking I''d put it in this: with rose gold but I''m not sure if this would just plain look better in a white setting from the local jewler. Any ideas on how to dress her up?

Attachments

• sapphire.pdf
    41.7 KB · Views: 50

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome artemiss! Do you have a picture of your stone? That would certainly help everyone out in terms of helping you to pick out a setting.

Also, have you given any thought to contacting some of the cutters like Dana Reynolds or Dan Stair to see if they can cut you the Montana sapphire that you''re looking for? I know that Dana has some Montana sapphires on his site right now and may have more rough available.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the colour of the cc sapphire, it could go better with the rose gold if it has a lot of gray and contrast.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! There is a pic in the pdf I attached, but I didn't think to save the image from the site when I bought it, and apparently the listing disappears from the site when the item is purchased.
The daylight colour is described as vslbG and the incandescent colour is rP, and it actually does have a lot of grey in it.
I contacted someone, don't remember who off the top of my head, but they didn't have anything like that, or anymore rough, but that is a good idea to pursue. I've found a couple that would work as far as the cut, but they are the more traditional 'cornflower' blue, not the greenish blue I am looking for.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Technical difficulties from the not-so-computer savvy.
Lets see if this one shows up.

sapphire.picture.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2009 7:44:19 AM
Author: Chrono
Depending on the colour of the cc sapphire, it could go better with the rose gold if it has a lot of gray and contrast.
oooh- I like rose gold and your picture looks beautiful. congrats on your purchase

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Thanks!
I''m excited, it''s little, only .88, but I have little size 5 fingers and as much as I like looking at the big sparkley stones, I prefer things a bit more simple on my own hands.
I want to see it in person and next to different colors of gold before I make any lasting desicions, but I just keep seeing it in a either a little rose gold filligree or pavee setting.
I just know it will be easier and less expensive to just get a stock white gold setting at the local jeweler. It was such a small purchase, I''d feel kinda wrong having something custom made. Hence my leaning toward a little LOGR mount.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
White metal might accentuate the grey component a bit too much, so I''d go with either yellow or rose gold.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 2:35:21 AM
Author: ma re
White metal might accentuate the grey component a bit too much, so I''d go with either yellow or rose gold.
That''s what my gut feeling was initially, too.
I''ve just not had much luck finding rose/pink gold mountings without going completely custom. It''s especially trying since it''s oval, and it''s not calibrated, but is instead 5.9 x 5.0.
The local jeweler I spoke with said that while she''d have to see it to be sure, she could probably get it into a 6x4, but she only has yellow and white gold stock mounts, and that seems to be the consensus from others I''ve contacted as well.
It''s really looking like I''m going to have to go with a LOGR, since I can get both the color I want, and the mounting custom-sized, without breaking the bank.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Okay, this is what I think I am going with:

ring stuf-12.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That colour way is very very similar to Alexandrite. I would definitely go with either a white or yellow gold but would steer clear of rose/pink gold. With a colour changer, the stone needs to be the statement not the setting. Also, you may find that when the stone is transitioning from one colour to the other it looks a bit odd - it may well clash.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Like this?

Which does everyone like better?

silvernclourchange.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh that''s better! I like the w/gold

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone. I think I like it best in WG. I would ask Dan Stair about the Montana Sapphire, it seem like he has cut some stones that color and he does great work.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
THis is what I decied to go with:
An 18k white gold piece from jewelryhoo:
jewelryhoo
I got the sides as a gift with a Montana sapphire I got from Dana at Mastercut Gems, and well, they looked so nice with the oval this is what I am doing with them:
(sorry about the awful pics..a photographer I am not
14.gif
)
the upper left is under lights, the bottom ones are in natural daylight

2009_11_101.jpg

artemiss

Rough_Rock
And this is lovely little mint sapphire I got from Dana in a pave band from LOGR:

IMG_1620.JPG

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Artemiss, for posting back what''s happened with these stones. I love the LOGR setting, and I want more details on your Montana sapphire. I can''t tell from the picture but is it round or oval? Specs? This ring is very much like one I''d like to have made in terms of a solitaire sapphire on top of a pave band. And how many mm is the band?

Hope you''re enjoying your rings as much as I enjoyed seeing the pictures of them.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I just got the LOGR setting today, and will have to find a time to take them in to be mounted...it''s getting hectic with the holidays approaching, and as much as I''d like to have them set by the holidays, it just might not happen unless I can find someone who will charge less than $200 a piece just to mount the stones
7.gif

The Montana sapphire is this one and only looks oval due to being 5.2mm rather than 5mm, and will need the prongs opened up a bit for the stone to sit in it right. (I hope they can do that anyway..I always though .2mm was the variance that wouldn''t need customization..
33.gif
) It also looks hazy because I had to touch it with my finger (leaving a smudge) to get it to sit that well in there, lol
The pave LOGR is 14k rose gold, and the shank is about 2mm.
I didn''t upgrade the diamonds because they were so small, and they still sparkle plenty.
1.gif

I gotta say, Dana at Mastercut was a real pleasure to work with, and I have already passed out his cards to a couple of co-workers who just loved the cut on both the Montana and the little color change freebies..those little rocks really sparkle!

I wasn''t entirely thrilled with the jewelryhoo "customization" on the white gold setting, however, and likely won''t be ordering from there again. One of the prongs just doesn''t look as nice as the rest, and you can tell where the modifications were made (round to oval) leaving the center very slightly off kilter. Not noticable casually, but you can see it if you look for it.
It was probably ok before they altered it, so I''d only recommend resizing as far as the custom benchwork goes. (which seems to be the consensus I''ve read on here from others)

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto on the rose gold. It adds more personality then standard white gold!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results