shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie, surprising GF, Please help me find the right setting

coffeetown

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I will be asking my girlfriend to get married in about 1 month. She has shown me images of the ring that she loves and I want to do my best to make her dream come true.

I will be purchasing a 1.0 - 1.20 ct. GIA certified diamond via either Blue Nile, Brilliant Earth, or a reputable dealer off of Ebay. Is that a bad idea?? even if it's power seller with a perfect feedback record for years ?

The reason why I want to do most of the work online is due to the fact that she's in medical school and I am in graduate school and currently doing work/research w/ a non-profit so I am traveling in and out of the country. I have never purchased jewelry before and I am a bit clueless to the process. Originally I was going to purchase a pre-set ring via Brilliant Earth but decided against it because I couldn't find a ring that was similar to the one she loves.

She loves the Harry Winston Micropave Cushion. She's tried it on and adores it, but there's no way we can afford to anywhere near $15,000+ for a ring.

So do any of you know of any good sites would have a similar setting for under $1,800 ?? Also after I separately purchase the diamond and the setting, should I just take it to a local jeweler to get it set? how much does that usually cost? also is there a reason to worry about how reputable the jeweler is? because wouldn't it be easy for them to switch the real diamond with a fake one? I know that sounds like a crazy paranoid question... but again, I've never done this before and it's one of the things that has come to my mind.

What exactly should I tell each jeweler about the size of the ring? what size should the shank, head, stem, etc. etc (I don't know all of the names) be?? What is the name of the millgrain type look that's on the edges/outside of the metal throughout the ring? how many diamonds should I expect to be around the center stone and around the shank? what about how high the center stone is actually set? I want to be as accurate as possible and have her ring look as close to these as possible

By the way I have found some online retailers that sell settings (Adwar, Stuller, Unique Settings) but you need to have some sort of wholesaler/jeweler account in order to order from them directly... do any of you have any advice on ordering from them?

mwd10454_spr09_5rings_056f_xl.jpg

SCHA%20profile%20view_0_0.jpg

haloring19_0.jpg

cushion-halo-harry-winston-diamond-engagement-ring.jpg

cushion-halo-diamond-engagement-ring.jpg

cushion-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-on-hand.jpg

coffeetown

Rough_Rock
Re: Newbie, surprising GF, Please help me find the right set

bump... anyone?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

well,what is you budget? for stone? for setting?

Honestly, with such a large and important purchase I wouldnt buy off ebay.....especially without a GIA or AGS report. I bought a .60 RB without any lab reprts from a trusted seller- BUT their estimates an color and clarity were way off!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

coffeetown|1293734889|2810008 said:
Hi there,

I will be asking my girlfriend to get married in about 1 month. She has shown me images of the ring that she loves and I want to do my best to make her dream come true.

I will be purchasing a 1.0 - 1.20 ct. GIA certified diamond via either Blue Nile, Brilliant Earth, or a reputable dealer off of Ebay. Is that a bad idea?? even if it's power seller with a perfect feedback record for years ? I would not personally purchase a stone off of ebay for something this important. If you give us a budget and idea of what color/clarity etc. you are after we can see what we can dig up. Whoever you go with, post the specs on the diamond here and the folks that are good with that sort of thing can evaulate it for you. I'd also suggest checking out some of the diamonds available from the PS Vendors.

The reason why I want to do most of the work online is due to the fact that she's in medical school and I am in graduate school and currently doing work/research w/ a non-profit so I am traveling in and out of the country. I have never purchased jewelry before and I am a bit clueless to the process. Originally I was going to purchase a pre-set ring via Brilliant Earth but decided against it because I couldn't find a ring that was similar to the one she loves.

She loves the Harry Winston Micropave Cushion. She's tried it on and adores it, but there's no way we can afford to anywhere near $15,000+ for a ring.

So do any of you know of any good sites would have a similar setting for under $1,800 ?? Also after I separately purchase the diamond and the setting, should I just take it to a local jeweler to get it set? how much does that usually cost? also is there a reason to worry about how reputable the jeweler is? because wouldn't it be easy for them to switch the real diamond with a fake one? I know that sounds like a crazy paranoid question... but again, I've never done this before and it's one of the things that has come to my mind. The HW micropave halo is pretty specific. I know Leon Mege does some incredible micropave work, and may be worth contacting. I'd do some research first, as there are conflicting reviews from folks that have worked with him.

What exactly should I tell each jeweler about the size of the ring? what size should the shank, head, stem, etc. etc (I don't know all of the names) be?? What is the name of the millgrain type look that's on the edges/outside of the metal throughout the ring? how many diamonds should I expect to be around the center stone and around the shank? what about how high the center stone is actually set? I want to be as accurate as possible and have her ring look as close to these as possible Definitely need to speak with a jeweler. Leon Mege has a pave tutorial on his web site I believe. http://www.artofplatinum.com/start/vault/pave.php

By the way I have found some online retailers that sell settings (Adwar, Stuller, Unique Settings) but you need to have some sort of wholesaler/jeweler account in order to order from them directly... do any of you have any advice on ordering from them? If you'd like a setting from adwar or stuller, you will need to have a jeweler order the setting for you.

mwd10454_spr09_5rings_056f_xl.jpg

SCHA%20profile%20view_0_0.jpg

haloring19_0.jpg

cushion-halo-harry-winston-diamond-engagement-ring.jpg

cushion-halo-diamond-engagement-ring.jpg

cushion-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-on-hand.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

Also, you said she was i nmed school, correct? Just a note that micropave is rather delicate, and if she will be using her hands, taking gloves on and off frequently, it might not be a practical design for work.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I believe IDJewelry (idjewelryonline.com) can/does make a replica of the HW setting...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blue Nile wont work for a cushion since they dont have pictures of stones. You need to work with someone like
Whiteflash, James Allen, Brian Gavin (BGD), Good old Gold, or Engagment Rings Direct. These vendors can all
provide pictures as well as ASETs to check the light return.

What is your budget for the center stone? Whare are you specs (size/color/clarity).

You can either send the stone to the vendor that has the setting or vice versa...or send them both to a local
jeweler of your choice. Will probably need insurance for the setting process.

coffeetown

Rough_Rock

Amys Bling|1293736941|2810067 said:
well,what is you budget? for stone? for setting?

Honestly, with such a large and important purchase I wouldnt buy off ebay.....especially without a GIA or AGS report. I bought a .60 RB without any lab reprts from a trusted seller- BUT their estimates an color and clarity were way off!

makes sense, the thing is I was planning on only purchasing from one of the power sellers and only GIA certified with a report. Would that still be a bad idea? if it says it's GIA certified and the # is given to me prior to the time I purchase and the stone comes with a report too. no good?

coffeetown

Rough_Rock

geckodani|1293737073|2810071 said:
Also, you said she was i nmed school, correct? Just a note that micropave is rather delicate, and if she will be using her hands, taking gloves on and off frequently, it might not be a practical design for work.

yes I have mentioned that to her, but she really wants this ring and I can't be the one that talks her out if, know what I mean? she is finishing up her last year and starting her residency next year.

she wants this for her engagement ring but says that she will most likely wear her wedding band most of the time.

coffeetown

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1293738023|2810081 said:
Blue Nile wont work for a cushion since they dont have pictures of stones. You need to work with someone like
Whiteflash, James Allen, Brian Gavin (BGD), Good old Gold, or Engagment Rings Direct. These vendors can all
provide pictures as well as ASETs to check the light return.

What is your budget for the center stone? Whare are you specs (size/color/clarity).

You can either send the stone to the vendor that has the setting or vice versa...or send them both to a local
jeweler of your choice. Will probably need insurance for the setting process.

That's all great information, I really appreciate it.

Our budget = $4-5,000 total for everything (I am hoping to spend less on the setting so that we can spend more on the center stone.
Specs:
Carat: at least 1.0
Color: she likes F, G, H.. nothing lower
Clarity: Nothing lower than S1 ... anything directly visible
setting: 18K white gold.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Here's my honest opinion. I wouldn't buy an important piece like this off of eBay. There's no customer service, no upgrades in the future, etc. Even with a GIA cert. I'd be nervous. The others have given you some recommended vendors with excellent track records.

The other thing I'd say is this. If it were me, I'd prefer to spend the large bulk of my money on the stone, put it in a simple setting for now, with the plan of upgrading to my dream setting later, maybe on an anniversary. I'm not sure that your budget is realistic given that she wants a 1 ct. stone in a fairly high color that is eye clean, combined with a HW-like setting. I'm assuming excellent cut, which is what everyone here recommends, as they are the most brilliant stones and is considered the most important "C".

coffeetown

Rough_Rock

yennyfire|1293750959|2810328 said:
The other thing I'd say is this. If it were me, I'd prefer to spend the large bulk of my money on the stone, put it in a simple setting for now, with the plan of upgrading to my dream setting later, maybe on an anniversary. I'm not sure that your budget is realistic given that she wants a 1 ct. stone in a fairly high color that is eye clean, combined with a HW-like setting. I'm assuming excellent cut, which is what everyone here recommends, as they are the most brilliant stones and is considered the most important "C".

that makes sense and it's very practical and realistic.

We're going to be paying off her med school and my grad school bills for years to come, so I honestly don't think it would be wise to spend more right now.

But is there a way I can get a similar setting that she's looking for and get her the dream one down the road? what are some good places to look for those? should it be custom made? I just want it to be as close to that possible but I am willing to make compromises. Any suggestions?

Also, I don't understand how the setting process would work. If I purchase the setting and diamond separately how do I go about getting it set and make sure that the diamond is not switched out, etc. lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay so... here's my suggestion. Buy her a solitaire for now. Spend the bulk of your funds on the center stone. You do not want a cheap replica for this setting. Just get her a solitaire with a little pave in the band. Eternity Diamond's Gita setting is a good choice. It is affordable and gives her a little pave. Will be good to see how the pave handles her lifestyle.

Then hunt for settings together. Save up some money so that you can get a nice quality (so that it lasts) pave halo HW type ring, since that's what she says she wants.

And also discuss the fact that the setting she wants is utterly impractical for her lifestyle as a medical student, unless she plans on wearing it on a chain around her neck .

You buy the cushion at one place. Send the measurements of the cushion to the place where you are buying the setting from. They make the setting and send it to the diamond dealer, who sets it for you. Blue nile won't do this, so you'd have to do the exact opposite. Which is have the stone sent to the setting vendor.

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock

You pretty much have to go custom for a setting like this with a cushion. You can contact Engagement Rings Direct and Jewels by Erica Grace, but the settings are all rather pricey. Although they are probably cheaper in white gold. Also, a custom setting will probably take at least 2 weeks to make. Mine took 5, but Leon's rings are handmade. Someone also just had one done by Maytal Hannah that you can search for. Good luck!

paperumbrella

Rough_Rock

How much of a surprise is this purchase? Are you comfortable asking her whether she would prefer a larger sized center stone in a solitaire setting, or whether she would prefer a smaller stone in the HW replica? I would MUCH rather give my input into this decision rather than having a complete surprise, but the surprise factor may be very important to her. Other things to consider: are you/your GF willing to consider an upgrade in the future? Also, what specialty is she going into? I am an anesthesia resident and 99% of us do not wear e-rings to work, and surgery residents never do, as you cannot have jewelry under sterile gloves. So, if she's going into anesthesia or a surgical specialty, I think a micropave setting would be fine, as she probably will only be wearing it outside of work. However, if she plans on doing primary care and will be working in the clinic/on the floor, I would maybe rethink this setting, as taking off the non-sterile gloves all day would be risky.

E B

Ideal_Rock

You can do it for $5k, but what I'd do first (if I were you) is get some quotes for the setting before buying a cushion. I'd anticipate the setting being at least $2k in white gold, so you'd be left with ~$3k for a cushion. Again, doable, but for a 1.0 carat in the color range she wants. Anything bigger is going to take up almost the entire budget for diamond alone.

coffeetown

Rough_Rock

paperumbrella|1293753732|2810378 said:
How much of a surprise is this purchase? Are you comfortable asking her whether she would prefer a larger sized center stone in a solitaire setting, or whether she would prefer a smaller stone in the HW replica? I would MUCH rather give my input into this decision rather than having a complete surprise, but the surprise factor may be very important to her. Other things to consider: are you/your GF willing to consider an upgrade in the future? Also, what specialty is she going into? I am an anesthesia resident and 99% of us do not wear e-rings to work, and surgery residents never do, as you cannot have jewelry under sterile gloves. So, if she's going into anesthesia or a surgical specialty, I think a micropave setting would be fine, as she probably will only be wearing it outside of work. However, if she plans on doing primary care and will be working in the clinic/on the floor, I would maybe rethink this setting, as taking off the non-sterile gloves all day would be risky.

well it's not a total surprise, we have talked about it but she does not know that I am going to be coming back into town early from being out of the country and surprising her. she has no idea. her family is helping set it up, basically she'll be going to another city to visit her family for an important weekend and I am going to be sitting on the plane in the seat she has a seat reserved.

I don't know if you read what I mentioned above, she will in fact be going into a surgical specialty and is not planning on wearing it everyday, she'll have her band and take even that on and off. she knows that and she wants that. When we first began to look at rings, she fell in love with this one. We went to Harry Winston "just to look" and she tried it on and since that time she's looked at many more but she keeps going back to that and says it fits her personality and I can just tell the way her face lights up that she loves it. We're actually lucky, because at Harry Winston she was able to try on the exact same ring in a 1.0, a 1.33, and a 1.5 she said that the 1.5 is just too large for her taste and that while a 1.33 is very appealing the price would be such a big jump. She said the 1.0 -1.20 is the perfect size because the Halo also adds a lot to it. Mind you, she started out wanting something small at .75 ct

So yeah, here we are.

coffeetown

Rough_Rock

E B|1293755784|2810413 said:
You can do it for $5k, but what I'd do first (if I were you) is get some quotes for the setting before buying a cushion. I'd anticipate the setting being at least $2k in white gold, so you'd be left with ~$3k for a cushion. Again, doable, but for a 1.0 carat in the color range she wants. Anything bigger is going to take up almost the entire budget for diamond alone.

This is good news. Here's the thing, I know people are saying not to buy off of ebay, but I came across one power seller who actually owns a family run business in Downtown LA Jewelery district (where I am able to stop by in a few weeks) and they are quoting me some great prices.

GIA Certified, will produce pictures of the certificates and diamonds via email and show me again in person
1.00 H VS1 = 2675.00
1.01 H VS2 = 2800.00
1.03 G VS2 = 3675.00

I looked up the company, name of owner, they also have a regular website off of ebay, not a single bad review under the registered name.

And they are quoting me similar setting made for less than $800.00

too good to be true?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes. It is.

Post around asking for 'deal' stories at the jewelry centers in SF, LA and NY and you'll get a slew of things that will make your hair stand on end.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock

I know that many people here have cautioned against it but I wouldn't make such a big and important purchase off of ebay...sight unseen especially since you have little to know knowledge of the product you will likely get taken and then may be left with a very expensive ring that you and your fiance don't like.

The people here are very knowledgeable and helpful and will help you try to find what you are looking for within your budget. This place is an amazing resource.

That being said, Mark Broumand has some great looking rings for very good prices: Here's one that may fit your budget

http://www.markbroumand.com/product/140ct-Cushion-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Anniversary-Ring__2211-1D1869700.aspx

It is a bit smaller than you would like, but if you contact them perhaps they can find you a bigger center stone and make it for you.

coffeetown

Rough_Rock

bigdiamondtinygal|1293758100|2810461 said:
That being said, Mark Broumand has some great looking rings for very good prices: Here's one that may fit your budget

http://www.markbroumand.com/product/140ct-Cushion-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Anniversary-Ring__2211-1D1869700.aspx

It is a bit smaller than you would like, but if you contact them perhaps they can find you a bigger center stone and make it for you.

This is actually real close to what I am looking for, going to email them about a larger stone and adjust my budget a bit. Thank you so much

coffeetown

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1293757888|2810454 said:
Yes. It is.

Post around asking for 'deal' stories at the jewelry centers in SF, LA and NY and you'll get a slew of things that will make your hair stand on end.

you're right, this place is a wealth of information.

So who do yo suggest I go with and stay under $5K and at least a 1.0 ct? where should I adjust/compromise on what i've already laid out

coffeetown

Rough_Rock

E B|1293756166|2810420 said:

Nice! thank you so much for this. You have no idea how much I appreciate it!

$895 is a steal. so I can probably do a 1.0 ct for under $3,200

But here's where I get stuck, what do I do about actually getting the ring set? how much does that factor into the whole thing? can I just take it to any jeweler? and how can I be sure the ring that I buy will actually fit into this specific setting?

E B

Ideal_Rock

coffeetown|1293758900|2810471 said:
So who do yo suggest I go with and stay under $5K and at least a 1.0 ct? where should I adjust/compromise on what i've already laid out

This is just my opinion, but I would see if you could swing a quality HW replica for $2k or under and then see what's left over for the cushion if you choose to go down that path. If you decide custom is too pricey, you can always go for something less expensive like the Lauren halo. Quotes aren't binding.

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondJewelryDetails.aspx?ID=2- In 14/18k WG?
www.whiteflash.com,, www.briangavindiamonds.com for a custom job
I believe www.goodoldgold.com is now doing custom work as well

Most of the PS vendors wil give you a quote for a setting for a ~1 ct diamond and then custom make it for whichever stone you choose, so you don't have to worry about finding a diamond that will fit. That's the beauty of custom!

E B

Ideal_Rock

coffeetown

Rough_Rock

E B|1293763573|2810564 said:

thank you so much! you have no idea how much I appreciate this.

By the way, do you think I should look at diamonds in H or I color? or is that going to add too much color into the stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results