shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie seeking help with jewelry insurance?

GliterattiGal

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone - considering I am a jewelry addict I am coming to PS quite late, but discovered you guys and your wealth of knowledge when doing research during my hunt for the perfect pair of antique cushion cut diamond studs (which I ended up getting from Old World Diamonds, thanks so much Adam!).

This relatively pricey new purchase made me rethink the idea of jewelry insurance - currently I have a few items insured separately on my homeowners insurance but that was done years ago and thus none of my newer and more expensive purchases are covered. I tried reaching out to Jeweler's Mutual but they do not have the blanket policies I am looking for, and they then referred me to a larger insurance company with a ton of different agents listed on their site which ended up feeling too tough to navigate. And thus far I haven't seen any threads on PS on this topic.

Does anyone have an insurance company and agent they have found great to work with for jewelry insurance, preferably in the NYC area? Or any ideas/recommendations for how to approach insuring a large jewelry collection with many pieces in the $2-5K range? Unlike folks with, say, an engagement ring they wear daily, I don't have a single expensive piece I wear all the time, but as I've bought a lot of stuff over the years it would end up being a pretty big hit if I lost everything in a theft or fire. Thoughts on how to secure jewelry would also be great too - again, individual pieces just don't seem expensive enough to be worth putting in a safety deposit box but was wondering if a fireproof safe or something similar will even be helpful, or just make it easier for someone to grab everything at once in a breakin. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do a search on "insurance" and check the box that says "titles only" (or something like that) and you'll find a lot of discussions on this subject.

If you qualify to use USAA I highly recommend them. I just added some jewelry to my VPP (valuable Personal property) insurance, bringing the total coverage up to around $75,000, and my premiums are less than $900/yr. That's significantly less than what other companies charge. And it includes the option of a cash payout instead of them replacing the stone with a "like substitute". That was very important to us given how different two stones with the same descriptions can actually be.

For storage, I like a safety deposit box. A fireproof safe is great for important papers but it's still pretty easy to carry out in a robbery. But if you're changing rings/jewelry every day that might be more of a hassle than it's worth, in which case I'd say just take a chance and keep it at home.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results