shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie question on lab (cultured) sapphires

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
So I’m relatively new to lab created gemstones and I’m wondering what accounts for the big disparity in price? I’ve seen 3 carat precision Cut lab sapphires for a couple hundred dollars and then for a couple thousand!
I searched this thread and didn’t see an answer so apologies in advance if this has been covered already.
If so, please gently direct me....
TIA!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I enquire where the ones that cost thousands are being listed please? TIA.

DK :))

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
May I enquire where the ones that cost thousands are being listed please? TIA.

Hi DK!
I’m clearly suffering quarantine-brain. I googled lab cultured sapphires right before I posted and found myself on a site showing $900+ lab created stones but now I tried the same search and don’t see that site!
It was www.gems...something
Sorry. I will keep looking.
So, in meantime, are most lab sapphires in the couple hundreds for a nice 3 carat?
That’s really all I’m trying to figure out.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the per carat price off or the carat weight of the Asscher cut stone I bought from Gary Braun of Finewater Gems, however he has a few lab Sapphires listed on his site that may be of interest to you.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know the per carat price off or the carat weight of the Asscher cut stone I bought from Gary Braun of Finewater Gems, however he has a few lab Sapphires listed on his site that may be of interest to you.

Will do!
Thank you

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Gary at Finewater May also be able to custom cut for you if what you’re interested in isn’t on the site. I asked him to custom cut me a lab ruby recently and it turned out beautifully. The cost was going to be the same for a range of carat sizes- with the lab rough sometimes he charges more on cut complexity as compared to size/weight. So of course I went big :lol:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Im curious who is trying to sell them for more than 1k too. I know brick and mortar jewellers would probably try to sell a 2 carat for 2k but that's why I buy mine loose and bring them my stone.

Stag and Finch does a great job with lab stones as well. Not rock bottom prices as they did just have a price hike on certain types of lab rough but not crazy prices like multiple thousands either. I find better cutting worth the higher price tag

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Gary at Finewater May also be able to custom cut for you if what you’re interested in isn’t on the site. I asked him to custom cut me a lab ruby recently and it turned out beautifully. The cost was going to be the same for a range of carat sizes- with the lab rough sometimes he charges more on cut complexity as compared to size/weight. So of course I went big :lol:

Im curious who is trying to sell them for more than 1k too. I know brick and mortar jewellers would probably try to sell a 2 carat for 2k but that's why I buy mine loose and bring them my stone.

Stag and Finch does a great job with lab stones as well. Not rock bottom prices as they did just have a price hike on certain types of lab rough but not crazy prices like multiple thousands either. I find better cutting worth the higher price tag

Thank you both. I’m going to look at Gary and Stag&Finch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results