shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Q......Diamond Identification (ie. Serial Number)

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by Detox, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. Detox
    Rough_Rock

by Detox » May 19, 2005
    Yes yes, more questions.

As I continue to serch for a nice loose diamond for an engagement ring I have notived that some diamonds have what appears to be a serial number laser''s into the stone for ID pruposes.

1. Do all diamonds have this?
    2. Do you pay a premium for this?
    3. Should I only buy a stone that has this?

Sorry if this questions seems trivial.

2. niceice
    Brilliant_Rock

by niceice » May 19, 2005
    Some diamonds are laser inscribed on the girdle edge with an identification number or the number from the corresponding lab report and some are not. The reason why some are and some are not is simple enough, some people like it and some do not... The inscription is about 0.03 microns deep and does not effect the beauty of the diamond in any way. The cost of inscription is minimal and can be added to a diamond if it is not present at the time you are considering it and thus there is no need to pay a premium for a diamond simply because it has been inscribed... Guess this answers the last question as well.

3. denverappraiser
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by denverappraiser » May 19, 2005
    Laser inscriptions are a handy and relatively easy way to recognize a particular stone. It''s not a 100% positive ID but it''s a pretty good basis for a guess. Premium price isn''t really the right word. Inscription services are included as part of the package with several labs services and anyone who wants can get it done for about $50 although there may be some shipping involved if no one in your neighborhood has the required equipment. I suppose that could be called a premium but it''s pretty darn small unless the stone is question is very inexpensive.

Neil Beaty
    GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
    Independent Appraisals in Denver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.