shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs help: Is this a scam diamond?

Hi everyone! Thank you for your time in advance :)

I'm looking for my engagement ring after being proposed to during lockdown in Australia :)

I have found this option in James Allen. Just wondering if any of you could give me your most honest feedback
The price is USD 2640

Is this a good option considering the price? I'm trying to keep a small budget for a ring as a baby is coming too, so just being mindful of the costs :/

Thank you! :)
Lucia

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, also in Australia.
Diamond is showing as “sold” so have you bought it?
James Allen is reputable so no worries there.
A few things though, yes buying a carat weight just under 1 carat will be cheaper. There is a “premium” once the number goes over “1” (and over “2” etc etc).
A Princess cut diamond is somewhat out of fashion so they are a more economical buy vs say round brillant.
A Princess cut really needs a protective corner setting. Those corners are easy to chip if exposed and especially in an everyday wearing ring.
In relation to colour, in a Princess cut the “yellowness” will become more visible once you drop below G. Some people are very sensitive to colour, others can’t or don’t notice “yellowness” until J or K. And some people actually prefer the warm tones of a diamond graded N to P.
Clarity at SI can be fine, just check the video / inclusion plot.
If buying from an international vendor it is better to also get them to set the gem for you especially If the vendor offers settings as well. Here in Australia jewellers aren’t overly keen on setting a diamond you didn’t buy from them, even less so if neither the diamond nor setting was sourced by them. And it’s a case of “all care taken, no responsibility accepted”.
Be aware of Customs and duties.
If the US vendor can do the export documentation under the US / Aust free trade agreement the rate will be 10% and not 15%. No avoiding the 10% GST. Ask that the shipper (usually FedEx) does the importing for you. That costs but is much simpler. Once your package reaches Australia the importer will phone you and ask for customs payment of $ x. You can pay via credit card over the phone and you parcel will be delivered a day or two later.
im not one who can assess a diamonds cut from the numbers but hopefully some others will chime in with what the think are better options for you if you missed out on the first one.
always plenty more out there.
If you want further value for money, you might consider lab grown diamonds. These are real, proper diamonds (not CZ or Moissanite) just created in a lab.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congradulations on your engagement
Nice to hear of happy domestic relations happening in lock down

I know nothing about picking a good diamond but i love princess cut
Im in NZ so ill be watching your process with intetest

From what ive read id be happy buying from James Allen

For lan grown i beleave lightbox are now shipping to our part of the world

Thank you so
Hi, also in Australia.
Diamond is showing as “sold” so have you bought it?
James Allen is reputable so no worries there.
A few things though, yes buying a carat weight just under 1 carat will be cheaper. There is a “premium” once the number goes over “1” (and over “2” etc etc).
A Princess cut diamond is somewhat out of fashion so they are a more economical buy vs say round brillant.
A Princess cut really needs a protective corner setting. Those corners are easy to chip if exposed and especially in an everyday wearing ring.
In relation to colour, in a Princess cut the “yellowness” will become more visible once you drop below G. Some people are very sensitive to colour, others can’t or don’t notice “yellowness” until J or K. And some people actually prefer the warm tones of a diamond graded N to P.
Clarity at SI can be fine, just check the video / inclusion plot.
If buying from an international vendor it is better to also get them to set the gem for you especially If the vendor offers settings as well. Here in Australia jewellers aren’t overly keen on setting a diamond you didn’t buy from them, even less so if neither the diamond nor setting was sourced by them. And it’s a case of “all care taken, no responsibility accepted”.
Be aware of Customs and duties.
If the US vendor can do the export documentation under the US / Aust free trade agreement the rate will be 10% and not 15%. No avoiding the 10% GST. Ask that the shipper (usually FedEx) does the importing for you. That costs but is much simpler. Once your package reaches Australia the importer will phone you and ask for customs payment of $ x. You can pay via credit card over the phone and you parcel will be delivered a day or two later.
im not one who can assess a diamonds cut from the numbers but hopefully some others will chime in with what the think are better options for you if you missed out on the first one.
always plenty more out there.
If you want further value for money, you might consider lab grown diamonds. These are real, proper diamonds (not CZ or Moissanite) just created in a lab.

Thank you so much!

No, I have not bought it. I have put it on hold pending feedback from this forum :)
Yes, It'll be diamond and setting (plain solitaire).

About lab-grown diamonds, I have heard that they will lose value overtime, hence why I would want an earth grown diamond, but happy to learn more about it.

The one I'm showing also has strong fluorescence which according to google may make the H look whiter? not sure if this is correct. From James Allen's advice, it is not cloudy/milky hence why it is a contender

I have visited a couple of jewerly shops here in Melbourne but it is very expensive to have something G colour + and VS2+ :(

Congradulations on your engagement
Nice to hear of happy domestic relations happening in lock down

I know nothing about picking a good diamond but i love princess cut
Im in NZ so ill be watching your process with intetest

From what ive read id be happy buying from James Allen

For lan grown i beleave lightbox are now shipping to our part of the world

Hi! Thank you :)

Happy to hear this thread will help both of us!

I don't know much about lab-grown diamonds, but what i found online was along the lines: BEWARE!!! NOT GOOD VALUE IN THE LONG RUN and that sort of stuff, so I haven't been looking for that

Is there any truth to that?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The truth about 99% of diamonds is that they aren’t rare or exclusive and like a new car lose value once they become “pre loved”.
Whether you buy a natural diamond or a lab grown diamond if you were to try and sell it preloved you are looking at only receiving 50% and 70% of the amount you spent.
There is much debate about the direction the value of diamonds, whether natural or lab created, will take in the next 10 years.
Will people, in the future, value any diamond as very desirable and valuable?
Already less people go down the traditional path that involves an engagement ring and there’s been a resurgence in coloured gemstone popularity.
Do people want a natural diamond and the associated negatives or do people want an “ethical” choice?
Do people want to celebrate the uniqueness of an earth created diamond or enjoy the cheaper price point of lab created?
Diamonds are not rare, there is no shortage in supply so two important price drivers are absent. And it’s too early to tell whether people in the future will value natural over lab.
Lab diamonds are new, however the machinery / costs to create them is still very high so it’s not as if every Tom, Dick and Harry will have a corner shop selling lab diamonds.
So when you’re buying a diamond you have to ask yourself what matters most.
If its resale value, you need to buy a rare certified fancy colour and put it in a safe and hope no more significant diamond sources are found aka the price history of Arygle Pink diamonds.
If it’s to celebrate the natural world, it’s a earth found natural diamond.
If its value for money, you need to look at preloved. You want to be the person paying the 50% to 70% of retail.
If it’s the best value “new” diamond, then its lab created.
If it’s a natural gemstones that’s “white/ clear” on a modest budget, you need to look at white sapphire even white topaz.
If it’s the biggest sparkle for the $$$ and a very modest budget, you need to look at “lookalikes” ie Moissanite, it’s a created gem that has a higher dispersion than diamond.
Only you know what things matter most to you.

The truth about 99% of diamonds is that they aren’t rare or exclusive and like a new car lose value once they become “pre loved”.
Whether you buy a natural diamond or a lab grown diamond if you were to try and sell it preloved you are looking at only receiving 50% and 70% of the amount you spent.
There is much debate about the direction the value of diamonds, whether natural or lab created, will take in the next 10 years.
Will people, in the future, value any diamond as very desirable and valuable?
Already less people go down the traditional path that involves an engagement ring and there’s been a resurgence in coloured gemstone popularity.
Do people want a natural diamond and the associated negatives or do people want an “ethical” choice?
Do people want to celebrate the uniqueness of an earth created diamond or enjoy the cheaper price point of lab created?
Diamonds are not rare, there is no shortage in supply so two important price drivers are absent. And it’s too early to tell whether people in the future will value natural over lab.
Lab diamonds are new, however the machinery / costs to create them is still very high so it’s not as if every Tom, Dick and Harry will have a corner shop selling lab diamonds.
So when you’re buying a diamond you have to ask yourself what matters most.
If its resale value, you need to buy a rare certified fancy colour and put it in a safe and hope no more significant diamond sources are found aka the price history of Arygle Pink diamonds.
If it’s to celebrate the natural world, it’s a earth found natural diamond.
If its value for money, you need to look at preloved. You want to be the person paying the 50% to 70% of retail.
If it’s the best value “new” diamond, then its lab created.
If it’s a natural gemstones that’s “white/ clear” on a modest budget, you need to look at white sapphire even white topaz.
If it’s the biggest sparkle for the $$$ and a very modest budget, you need to look at “lookalikes” ie Moissanite, it’s a created gem that has a higher dispersion than diamond.
Only you know what things matter most to you.

amazing! :) thank you so much!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have my eye on a lightbox princess cut 1 carrot pendent im going to canabilize for a 3 stone ring that presently has a blue topaz with an annoying window

But its not my ER

but then im not even engaged

@Bron357 makes some good points to help you work out what your main priority is so you can taylor your spend to your expectations

Have i told you i looove a princess cut ;)2

Id rather have a lab that a white saphire
I know plenty of people here do, but i don't clean my rings every day and a white saphire looks real yuck dirty

I have my eye on a lightbox princess cut 1 carrot pendent im going to canabilize for a 3 stone ring that presently has a blue topaz with an annoying window

But its not my ER

but then im not even engaged

@Bron357 makes some good points to help you work out what your main priority is so you can taylor your spend to your expectations

Have i told you i looove a princess cut ;)2

Id rather have a lab that a white saphire
I know plenty of people here do, but i don't clean my rings every day and a white saphire looks real yuck dirty

you both make good points! :)
Yes, definitely a lab one over other gemstones. I'm looking at prices now :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results