shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie, Need opinions on I1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

acbutk

Rough_Rock
I''ve been on this site for just a few weeks and have managed to pick up on some information. I''m looking for a quality I1 stone that will allow for a bigger diamond within my budget. I think I''ve found one, but I wanted to ask for expert opinions. Is it really possible to tell how visible an inclusion will be from an online image? Let me know what you think.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?find=1&cid=130&item=1007289

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Hopefully an expert will chime in after I do, but if I were you and wanting to purchase an I1 through an on-line vendor, I'd call and talk to that vendor as well as make full use of the viewing period. If you have the opportunity to have the diamond shipped to you, then you actually eyeball it yourself to determine if the inclusion is very noticeable to you. It just seems that with I1 it is too risky to chance not viewing it in person. Just my humble *non-expert* opinion.
1.gif

ETA: I couldn't tell much from the on-line image.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 10:02:46 AM
Author:acbutk

Is it really possible to tell how visible an inclusion will be from an online image?
no it isn''t. you''re looking at a static 1d view of a 3d object.
the good news is, a reputable vendor will tell you honestly what you will see.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

Good advice from OD, some I1 are clean to the eye and this one is worth investigating further. However if it is for an engagement ring, not everyone is comfortable with the idea of a lower clarity, just a thought. Ask Jim to eyeball the diamond for you and he will give you a good idea of the inclusions and how visible they are etc, but the final test is your own eyes and also some inclusions stand out more in different lights, so if you shoot for this one, check it out in as many types of light as you can. Let us know how you get on!

ETA - you bought it then???

acbutk

Rough_Rock
I haven''t bought it yet, but I am considering it. Another question: How accurate are the GIA diamond diagrams? I ask because the diagram for this diamond shows that the inclusions are mostly localized to one area. Thanks for your opinions and keep them coming.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2007 10:20:54 AM
Author: acbutk
I haven't bought it yet, but I am considering it. Another question: How accurate are the GIA diamond diagrams? I ask because the diagram for this diamond shows that the inclusions are mostly localized to one area. Thanks for your opinions and keep them coming.
Reasonably accurate to the best of my knowledge. But you will only see the face up plot on the report, bear in mind you might see more from the sides of the actual diamond. This might be an advantage possibly if the inclusions are in one area, they might be able to be hidden under a prong, see what Jim says.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't bought it yet, but I am considering it. Another question: How accurate are the GIA diamond diagrams? I ask because the diagram for this diamond shows that the inclusions are mostly localized to one area. Thanks for your opinions and keep them coming.
again, considering you are plotting a 3d object into 1d, which in itself is not going to be completely accurate. the plots are there to give a general area and type of inculsion. please don't try to determine anymore than that from them.
*talk to someone that can actually SEE the diamond*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2007 10:25:59 AM
Author: belle

I haven''t bought it yet, but I am considering it. Another question: How accurate are the GIA diamond diagrams? I ask because the diagram for this diamond shows that the inclusions are mostly localized to one area. Thanks for your opinions and keep them coming.
again, considering you are plotting a 3d object into 1d, which in itself is not going to be completely accurate. the plots are there to give a general area and type of inculsion. please don''t try to determine anymore than that from them.
*talk to someone that can actually SEE the diamond*
Best advice, Jim will be pleased to walk you through this diamond and advise you
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, have Jim look at it, but, make sure you let him know what you do or don''t want to see. Nothing from all angles or just face up? Might want to ask yourself that first.
2.gif

acbutk

Rough_Rock
I guess I would say that from what I can see (report, specs., images) about this diamond compared to other I1''s I have seen online, it appears to be, relative to other I1''s, at the top of it''s class. Is this a fair assessment or a rush to judgment? I plan to heed your advice as far as asking someone to look at the diamond before I buy it. Another factor to keep in mind is that my girlfriend and I recently looked at Shane Co. uncertified diamonds. She hasn''t been doing the research that I have been doing, and she was enamored with a 1.23ct. I2 stone. I was hesitant because of the lack of information that Shane Co. provided. That being said, it is safe to say that her emphasis is not on clarity. This information may not help you, or it might help guide your opinions.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, this diamond has a good cut which will look better than many, it might well be a good choice, it is not always easy to find a well cut I1, although there have been a few around recently, so that it has a superior cut to many I1's is a fair assessment. As a fan and owner of 2 clean I1 diamonds, if I was in the market for that size etc, I would be investigating further for sure.

I would ask Jim to pull the diamond and ask him:

What is the grade setting inclusion?
Details of it, size, visibility, colour, any reflections visible through the rest of the diamond from it, location we know.
How close do you need to look to see it? Arms length, looking up close, side views etc.
In the case of some inclusions ( feathers) do any break the surface and therefore pose a durability risk ( not that common)
Does the inclusion show more in some lights than others ( some disappear in some lights then pop out in others!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 10:50:51 AM
she was enamored with a 1.23ct. I2 stone.
Sounds like it might be the one then.

I should have added in my previous post, there''s nothing wrong with seeing an inclusion from the side to a lot of people, but it does bother some. I just wanted you to discern in your own mind what you really wanted.
1.gif

acbutk

Rough_Rock
Anybody else? Let me know what you think about this diamond compared to other I1 diamonds that you may have seen.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink Jones of Winfield''s has recently had some hearts and arrows cut I1''s, and that''s about the only way I''d consider buying one...by talking with a jeweler who has the stone in-house and can tell you all about the inclusions and if you can see them from the side, etc. It is not enough to look at a cert diagram. I think Good Old Gold has sold an I1 recently as well, and they have the stones in-house, too.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 10:57:35 AM
Author: Lorelei
In that case, this diamond has a good cut which will look better than many, it might well be a good choice, it is not always easy to find a well cut I1, although there have been a few around recently, so that it has a superior cut to many I1''s is a fair assessment. As a fan and owner of 2 clean I1 diamonds, if I was in the market for that size etc, I would be investigating further for sure.

I would ask Jim to pull the diamond and ask him:

What is the grade setting inclusion?
Details of it, size, visibility, colour, any reflections visible through the rest of the diamond from it, location we know.
How close do you need to look to see it? Arms length, looking up close, side views etc.
In the case of some inclusions ( feathers) do any break the surface and therefore pose a durability risk ( not that common)
Does the inclusion show more in some lights than others ( some disappear in some lights then pop out in others!)
Ditto, Call up Jim Schultz. He will be honest with you and help you evaluate this stone. He has a great return policy, so if you do decide the inclusions are too noticeable you can return the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results