shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie - Need Lab Grown Diamond Advice!

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
Hello PriceScopers!

I have been a lurker for years on these forums and I believe it's finally time for me to get my stone upgrade! With our 10 year anniversary coming up, my husband and I are talking about going the lab grown route. That being said, you all have become my gurus and I was hoping for a little advice and guidance. Prior to a week or so ago I had never seen a lab grown diamond in person, but my goodness they're beautiful! I do have a local jeweler that is trying to source some for me, but in a lot of cases they have some visible inclusions that I think would probably really bother me, and they're also at the tippy top of my budget. That being said, I have started looking online, but I am SO hesitant to make a purchase this large sight unseen. I'm just not sure how I would know who to trust! I've seen some reviews for B2C diamonds on here, but would love any feedback from those who have used them! The other is on rarecarat.com and a seller called bellissimo who has basically no online presence which scares me a bit. I am only looking at diamonds that have 360 videos and real photos, but I know that there is some pretty fancy editing software out there that can make almost anything look pretty. I keep coming back to these 2 diamonds and I would really love for some of your eagle eyes to look at them and get your opinions! The inclusions all look like they would be easily hide-able under a prong if they're even visible without a loupe. Any feedback would be so appreciated!

Diamond 1 - E/VS1/2.44 Carat https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/20387218/round-diamond-e-color-vs1-Clarity
Diamond 2 - E/VS1/2.5 Carat https://www.rarecarat.com/diamond/1...eal-cut-round-lab-grown-diamond?sid=104061849

Thank you all so much in advance for sharing your brains with me!

Ashley

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those diamonds have proportions that don't work very well together. I found a few other options on B2C that you could take a look at.

If you are open to F VS2, these stones have GCAL 8x reports, which means they have superior cut and light return. Adiamor has a great reputation and a good return policy.

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
Those diamonds have proportions that don't work very well together. I found a few other options on B2C that you could take a look at.

If you are open to F VS2, these stones have GCAL 8x reports, which means they have superior cut and light return. Adiamor has a great reputation and a good return policy.

Thank you so much, Kim! I really appreciate the time you took to help me! These stones are gorgeous! Now I have lots more to show my husband! Do you mind if I ask you which proportions stood out to you? I really only know the 4c’s and not much about the proportions themselves. I’d love to know what other things I should be paying attention to. Thank you again!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, Kim! I really appreciate the time you took to help me! These stones are gorgeous! Now I have lots more to show my husband! Do you mind if I ask you which proportions stood out to you? I really only know the 4c’s and not much about the proportions themselves. I’d love to know what other things I should be paying attention to. Thank you again!

You're welcome!

I would look at stones with close to these parameters.

depth 60-62.4%
table 54-58%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (can go up to 35.5 or 36 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

Generally, a shallower crown angle will pair better with a steeper pavilion angle and vice versa.

You also get 3 free uses of the HCA (Holloway Cut Advisor).

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
You're welcome!

I would look at stones with close to these parameters.

depth 60-62.4%
table 54-58%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (can go up to 35.5 or 36 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

Generally, a shallower crown angle will pair better with a steeper pavilion angle and vice versa.

You also get 3 free uses of the HCA (Holloway Cut Advisor).

Thank you so much, Kim! I appreciate your help so much!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the PriceScope forum, ashley94321!
Loving the GCAL 8X options that Kim N posted...I highly recommend that you go that route since GCAL does all the pertinent assessments in regards to light performance, which is all right there in the grading reports and on their website for each individual diamond.

Since Kim knocked it out of the park with such great recommendations, there's only one more that stands out to me: this HPHT 2.42 D VS1 with a 40.6/34.4/54 combo. Downside is no ASET or Ideal-Scope images to confirm overall symmetry and light performance.
Safe? Probably, but not a 100% sure thing.
(that's where GCAL 8X has your back)

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
Loving the GCAL 8X options that Kim N posted...I highly recommend that you go that route since GCAL does all the pertinent assessments in regards to light performance, which is all right there in the grading reports and on their website for each individual diamond.

Since Kim knocked it out of the park with such great recommendations, there's only one more that stands out to me: this HPHT 2.42 D VS1 with a 40.6/34.4/54 combo. Downside is no ASET or Ideal-Scope images to confirm overall symmetry and light performance.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the wonderful suggestion! Wow that stone looks beautiful! I’m so appreciative of all of the new info I’m learning so we can make the best decision!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the HPHT D aspect of that stone, but agree on wanting to confirm symmetry and light performance, particularly in these areas:

2.42.jpg

ashley94321, to add to DejaWiz's remarks on GCAL 8x, you can enter a GCAL report number on the GCAL website and view all of the performance tests they've done.

The stones above, for example:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I love the HPHT D aspect of that stone, but agree on wanting to confirm symmetry and light performance, particularly in these areas:

Exactly my thoughts, Kim N...a bit of a risk and, although likely a fine performer, I'd definitely want to see ASET or Ideal-Scope images for confirmation and peace of mind.

ashley94321

Rough_Rock

2.42.jpg

ashley94321, to add to DejaWiz's remarks on GCAL 8x, you can enter a GCAL report number on the GCAL website and view all of the performance tests they've done.

The stones above, for example:

This is absolutely fascinating! I’ve never seen those in action for any stone! Thank you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea about GCAL! Such fascinating stuff!

GCAL with their newer 8X criteria definitely makes diamond buying like pushing an easy button...all the assessments are already done and provided, eliminating any guesswork from the equation.

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
Hello again @DejaWiz and @Kim N I hope you don’t mind one more question! Another thing I’m really worried about is blue nuance I think it would really bother me. I’ve also seen some that look gray or almost brown (none of the ones you’ve shared with me) Do any of the stones we have been looking at in this thread jump out at you as having any color nuances? Does GCAL list any nuances on their reports? I’ve read that GIA and IGI don’t always list it in the comments. I’m not sure if there is something I should be paying attention to to avoid it. I’m sorry I’m so green with all of this and I can’t even say how appreciative I am of your help!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello again @DejaWiz and @Kim N I hope you don’t mind one more question! Another thing I’m really worried about is blue nuance I think it would really bother me. I’ve also seen some that look gray or almost brown (none of the ones you’ve shared with me) Do any of the stones we have been looking at in this thread jump out at you as having any color nuances? Does GCAL list any nuances on their reports? I’ve read that GIA and IGI don’t always list it in the comments. I’m not sure if there is something I should be paying attention to to avoid it. I’m sorry I’m so green with all of this and I can’t even say how appreciative I am of your help!

Hi, ashley94321.
Best way to detect and color hue/tint is to view the diamond from the side profile and look at the edges of the girdle when it will appear more concentrated.
Exceptionally well cut and proportioned diamonds will have tremendous light return, making them appear extremely white and bright, so even a little hint of color will be effectively obscured.
I have only seen IGI list color nuance on their reports for diamonds containing it, but only for diamonds graded lower than F. Any color grade (including D, E, or F colorless) that does have a bit of color nuance which isn't notated on the report, we refer to as "undisclosed <color> nuance"...not an official industry term, just something we use as an identifying marker for each other as consumers/prosumers.

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
Hi, ashley94321.
Best way to detect and color hue/tint is to view the diamond from the side profile and look at the edges of the girdle when it will appear more concentrated.
Exceptionally well cut and proportioned diamonds will have tremendous light return, making them appear extremely white and bright, so even a little hint of color will be effectively obscured.
I have only seen IGI list color nuance on their reports for diamonds containing it, but only for diamonds graded lower than F. Any color grade (including D, E, or F colorless) that does have a bit of color nuance which isn't notated on the report, we refer to as "undisclosed <color> nuance"...not an official industry term, just something we use as an identifying marker for each other as consumers/prosumers.

Thank you! I will make sure to pay attention to those angles! I’m so nervous about buying online, and was almost ready to pull the trigger on a stone with an inclusion that I knew would bother me just because I could see it in person. Your guidance has made me feel so much better about going the online route!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I will make sure to pay attention to those angles! I’m so nervous about buying online, and was almost ready to pull the trigger on a stone with an inclusion that I knew would bother me just because I could see it in person. Your guidance has made me feel so much better about going the online route!

Fell free to post any and all diamonds that you have on your short list: we can offer you extra eyes and opinions, if you'd like.

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
Fell free to post any and all diamonds that you have on your short list: we can offer you extra eyes and opinions, if you'd like.

Thank you! I would love that! Honestly the ones that you and @Kim N suggested are some of my top contenders!

This is my current shortlist in no particular order really:

This first one just popped onto my radar and it's a few hundred more than I initially wanted to spend, but it's also a little larger than I would have thought I could get for my budget. With this most likely being my forever diamond a little extra size never hurt anyone, right? :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I would love that! Honestly the ones that you and @Kim N suggested are some of my top contenders!

This first one just popped onto my radar and it's a few hundred more than I initially wanted to spend, but it's also a little larger than I would have thought I could get for my budget. With this most likely being my forever diamond a little extra size never hurt anyone, right? :)

Same 2.73 for about $200 less at Frank Darling.
Gets you to the 9mm mark... winner!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you're looking to go bigger, how about this 2.80? :bigsmile:

In the 2.5 range, I'd go with the 2.51 or one of these other F VS2 over VS1 to save money.

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
If you're looking to go bigger, how about this 2.80? :bigsmile:

In the 2.5 range, I'd go with the 2.51 or one of these other F VS2 over VS1 to save money.

Ooh that 2.8 is beautiful!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz @Kim N The long awaited day is finally here! I cannot thank you enough for your help and guidance to find the perfect stone for our 10 year anniversary upgrade. After getting photos and videos of a few of the diamonds we discussed in this thread, I landed on the 2.91 GCAL 8x. There is so much meaning behind this ring for my husband and I and you both sharing your knowledge really helped us to find something we both love! I ended up going with Frank Darling and doing a complete custom design that sort of married 2 of their rings and added my own flair. The stone is an absolute sparkle bomb. I’ve never owned something this beautiful, to be honest I’ve never seen something this beautiful in person! I have to take a second to rave about Frank Darling. The whole process was amazing from start to finish! Designing was so collaborative and fun. They sent out a 3D print of the ring before I approved which with me not being local, put my mind totally at ease. And they stand behind their 30 day return policy 100%. After I got my ring, even though it was stunning and so very well made, I decided the band was too thin and absolutely no questions asked, they took it back into their shop and remade the entire thing with a slightly wider band. It came back home today and is pure perfection! Thank you thank you thank you again! And here are a few pics of my new baby! E250A23F-0883-4BBF-BB5F-0CDF98EE2017.jpeg

Attachments

• 7CBC766C-2F7E-421B-901A-1EC9D3F80159.jpeg
    7CBC766C-2F7E-421B-901A-1EC9D3F80159.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 65
  • A1D6FCDB-AB96-4B8C-83A9-38FCF4EFD9CB.jpeg
    A1D6FCDB-AB96-4B8C-83A9-38FCF4EFD9CB.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 67
  • C4B30BDC-0986-4C49-9F52-87DE830AA254.jpeg
    C4B30BDC-0986-4C49-9F52-87DE830AA254.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 54EBC21E-D589-42BB-9C03-F5D6B46B6B3E.jpeg
    54EBC21E-D589-42BB-9C03-F5D6B46B6B3E.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 6919722F-7BAD-4E68-93EE-82CB5AC3E744.jpeg
    6919722F-7BAD-4E68-93EE-82CB5AC3E744.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 135

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DejaWiz @Kim N The long awaited day is finally here! I cannot thank you enough for your help and guidance to find the perfect stone for our 10 year anniversary upgrade. After getting photos and videos of a few of the diamonds we discussed in this thread, I landed on the 2.91 GCAL 8x. There is so much meaning behind this ring for my husband and I and you both sharing your knowledge really helped us to find something we both love! I ended up going with Frank Darling and doing a complete custom design that sort of married 2 of their rings and added my own flair. The stone is an absolute sparkle bomb. I’ve never owned something this beautiful, to be honest I’ve never seen something this beautiful in person! I have to take a second to rave about Frank Darling. The whole process was amazing from start to finish! Designing was so collaborative and fun. They sent out a 3D print of the ring before I approved which with me not being local, put my mind totally at ease. And they stand behind their 30 day return policy 100%. After I got my ring, even though it was stunning and so very well made, I decided the band was too thin and absolutely no questions asked, they took it back into their shop and remade the entire thing with a slightly wider band. It came back home today and is pure perfection! Thank you thank you thank you again! And here are a few pics of my new baby! E250A23F-0883-4BBF-BB5F-0CDF98EE2017.jpeg

Oh my goodness, it's stunning! :love: Perfect in every way and huge on you. I love the gallery and also how delicate the halo is. So happy to have been able to help.

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness, it's stunning! :love: Perfect in every way and huge on you. I love the gallery and also how delicate the halo is. So happy to have been able to help.

Thank you so much, Kim! I am so happy with how it turned out! I can’t thank you enough for sharing your knowledge! I knew so little about diamonds before learning from you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
ashley94321 I am so glad to hear that you and your husband are absolutely elated with your new diamond!
Your bespoke setting is a masterpiece and looks absolutely wonderful!
Congratulations to you both for ten years and an amazing ring to symbolize your journey and milestone!

ashley94321

Rough_Rock
ashley94321 I am so glad to hear that you and your husband are absolutely elated with your new diamond!
Your bespoke setting is a masterpiece and looks absolutely wonderful!
Congratulations to you both for ten years and an amazing ring to symbolize your journey and milestone!

Thank you so much! I learned so much from you and am so appreciative of you sharing your expertise, we couldn’t have found something so beautiful without you! I wouldn’t have even known about Frank Darling either had you not found the diamond at a lower price on their site! We couldn’t be happier with how it turned out and I am so excited that I get to wear it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results