shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie, Marquise Help Please!

Jswan1217

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I've been looking for a Marquise for a couple of weeks now and have basically narrowed it down to this one. For my price point (don't really want to go much past $7,000) and the fact that I want a large spread (at least 12x6) this is the nicest option. My main concern is the depth in regards to its toughness when it comes to mounting it and just in general. I would appreciate any input. Thanks. Going to attempt to attach picture also. : )

Here are the specs:
Carat Weight: 1.75
Cut: Good
Color: J
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 51.6%
Table: 57%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to Very Thick
Cutlet: None
Flourescence: Faint
Measurements: 12.25x6.64x3.43
GIA # 5172331373 mq_1.png

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Jswan1217|1449189760|3957144 said:
Hi there, I've been looking for a Marquise for a couple of weeks now and have basically narrowed it down to this one. For my price point (don't really want to go much past $7,000) and the fact that I want a large spread (at least 12x6) this is the nicest option. My main concern is the depth in regards to its toughness when it comes to mounting it and just in general. I would appreciate any input. Thanks. Going to attempt to attach picture also. : )

Here are the specs:
Carat Weight: 1.75
Cut: Good
Color: J
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 51.6%
Table: 57%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to Very Thick
Cutlet: None
Flourescence: Faint
Measurements: 12.25x6.64x3.43
GIA # 5172331373 mq_1.png

Hi - with fancy shapes, all the rules go out the window...so with the face-up outline, it basically comes down to you either like it or you don't. In a marquise, some prefer long and skinny, while others prefer short and fat.
Having said that, the general preference is a 2:1 length-to-width ratio.
Without commenting on this stone in particular, I would first question why a marquise has been given a 'cut' grade? GIA don't assign a cut grade to fancy shapes, so you might want to find out who would give that grade, and how they've reached that conclusion? I wouldn't necessarily disagree with a grade, but you need to be aware that it is likely the vendor, and not GIA that have given it.

Regarding your concern about having it mounted - Very rarely stones do get chipped during setting, but unless there is a feather right on the tip, or some other inclusion to cause concern, I wouldn't be too worried about it - if it's survived the cutting process, there's a very good chance it will survive the setting. The main consideration for depth is more about the light return / bow tie / etc, rather than the toughness of the diamond. Also, with your design for the ring, you'll want to make sure that the points are covered to prevent chipping when being worn.
Hope this helps

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the shape of this stone, but I am a little concerned about the dark areas on the sides. Have you seen the diamond in person? Do you have more pictures of the stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The picture isn't the best. But it is exhibiting quite a bit of a bow tie. For me personally, that would be a dealbreaker.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Not the greatest looking keep looking

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a pretty stone (it is a K though and will show a tint more than likely)...but just wanted to show you what I think the faceting
pattern on a pretty marquise looks like. (look at the side image, it's really not showing that much color...I would inquire about it
and see what JA has to say about it).
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/1.87-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-686605
This one may also be nice and worth a look
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/1.52-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-588443

The the faceting pattern does not look all that great on the one you have posted.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results