shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie looking for advice on a M colored diamond to set on e-ring

mdes87

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I am currently looking at this diamond from BGD which is part of their cape lline. https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ags-ec-104103128011#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

I worried that when viewing the diamond on its side will show too much of a tinge. Im confident that it will face up white but thought id ask here to see if anyone has purchased from this line before and their personal experiences with it thus far

Will be setting it on a 14 kt gold band by its self.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These stones are gorgeous, but an M wont look "white". It won't look "yellow" either, but more of an eggshell or creamy color. So if you're looking for colorless, an M isn't a good choice. I say this as someone with an N colored CBI that I adore. I'm not color sensitive at all, and it faces up pretty white, but not totally colorless. That works for me bc I didn't want colorless, but just something to keep in mind.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks heavenly. If you only like bright white, maybe not. I love that creamy color. Gorgeous.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Why not exchange some clarity for a higher color grade?

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A M graded stone won’t look white. It will be tinted however you look at it. That’s not to say it’s a BAD thing... but it’s a certain look that you need to love to have on an ering. I had BGD earrings in a K and I could certainly see the tint face up, even in much smaller stones. They still sparkled wonderfully, but I would never say that they were ‘white’. I got a lot of compliments on my earrings- certainly no one said to me that my earrings WEREN’T white... but they were creamy tinted for sure. ANd these were just 0.5ct stones! Of course this depends on the colour sensitivity of the person wearing the stones! Some may not see it much at all, but I would venture to say that the only way to determine that is to actually see M graded stones in person...

Having said that, THIS looks lovely! Given it’s preowned I wonder if the price is more attractive?

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...mi-custom-tacori-setting.247519/#post-4525473

Last edited:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty stone, but if you’re considered about tint I echo the recommendation of going down in clarity- VS1/2, or even an eye clean SI1- to get a higher color. I don’t think it will face up white, as it would be unrealistic to expect that with a color grade that low.
That being said, I like lower color diamonds in vintage cuts, and think that the stone you picked is lovely- just not white ;)2

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Agree with the others that I don't think the diamond is going to face up bright white--more of a vanilla. Whether that's an issue is personal preference.

You mention that the diamond will go into a 14k gold setting but did not state what color gold. Plenty of people like the contrast of a tinted stone with white metal. I personally am not a fan of cool colored white metals with warm diamonds.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
By definition a diamond with M color is not white from top as well

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you should have the stone sent to you before you have it set to make sure the color works for you. It will be a bright stone (nice light
return) but as others have stated it will be slightly tinted.

You didnt say what color of gold you were putting it in? If you want to cover tint from the side you need a gallery with lots of metal to cover
the side of the stone.

Edit...BTW, here is an L and lower colors thread for your viewing.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-warm-colored-diamonds-l-and-lower.210812/

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will show tint from top and sides. If you are very color sensitive, it probably won't be the stone for you. Others have given you good advice on stepping down in clarity so that you may go up in color.

mdes87

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks for all the helpful responses PS community!!:clap: The lady helping me at BGD seems to think that it will face up white, which is why I i began to dig deeper into this subject. Preferably I would like to trade off some clarity for color but I have been unsuccessful in doing so in my searches.

One of my most important C's to me has been cut, as i have perhaps slightly over stressed the ASET images and making sure it there are no light leakage. Some of the J and higher color diamonds on BGD seem to not have the same quality optics as this one does and therefor has steered me down this M BG cape road.

After looking into some of the threads you all have provided me with, I am definitely more convinced that it will have a 'creamy', 'vanilla' look under most lighting.

Side note, the band is a 14k yellow gold ring.jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow thanks for all the helpful responses PS community!!:clap: The lady helping me at BGD seems to think that it will face up white, which is why I i began to dig deeper into this subject. Preferably I would like to trade off some clarity for color but I have been unsuccessful in doing so in my searches.

One of my most important C's to me has been cut, as i have perhaps slightly over stressed the ASET images and making sure it there are no light leakage. Some of the J and higher color diamonds on BGD seem to not have the same quality optics as this one does and therefor has steered me down this M BG cape road.

After looking into some of the threads you all have provided me with, I am definitely more convinced that it will have a 'creamy', 'vanilla' look under most lighting.

Side note, the band is a 14k yellow gold ring.jpg

I honestly like the M color a lot, more than J/K but it's such a personal preference. Are you able to check out any Ms in person? It's frustrating that not too many b&m stores stock those M-Z colors.

Pretty band. I probably would do all yellow instead of the white gold basket unless you want to call out the color contrast with the stone. But again it's about what YOU prefer. :mrgreen2:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s my ‘L’ coloured OEC at her most tinted. She doesn’t always look like this as you can see in the flower pics- but she’s an OEC, so colour shows very differently (and more tolerably to ME) than an in MRB... I found the tint in my BGD K’s bothered me more than the L in this stone, though it’s clearly visible...

I would not say confidently say she faces up ‘white’ though!
6A1CA944-F69D-4C1B-934E-0D30B521A278.jpeg E0305AC0-1DD6-4917-986A-018CFB35AE38.jpeg

mdes87

Rough_Rock
Here’s my ‘L’ coloured OEC at her most tinted. She doesn’t always look like this as you can see in the flower pics- but she’s an OEC, so colour shows very differently (and more tolerably to ME) than an in MRB... I found the tint in my BGD K’s bothered me more than the L in this stone, though it’s clearly visible...

I would not say confidently say she faces up ‘white’ though!
6A1CA944-F69D-4C1B-934E-0D30B521A278.jpeg E0305AC0-1DD6-4917-986A-018CFB35AE38.jpeg

Yes I have began noticing that OEC appear to look whiter in lower color graded diamonds. judging from this thread at least https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-warm-colored-diamonds-l-and-lower.210812/

Thats is a beautiful ring :-o Thanks for sharing!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
m_color2.jpg m_color3.jpg _642.png _39075.jpg
People see colors different ways. But to me, an I is ivory, but L and M are definitely pale yellows. Outdoors, my L/M H&A RB faces up pretty white-]ish, with just a hint of very pale tint. But indoors, say at Staples or Home Depot, it's definitely a gorgeous buttery light yellow. If you are not very color sensitive, then maybe it will look white-ish to you. But to me, it's pale yellow. I like it, though. I'm another who is not particularly fond of the J/K range, but love the pale yellows. My diamond is a bit over 1ct, and was recut by Brian Gavin. The one photo is Brian Gavin's photo. The other two are mine.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I know it’s a hassle, but I would have BG ship the loose diamond for you to look at, so you can judge in person what an M colored stone looks like. I had my J stone shipped to me, and at the time I thought it was a bit too yellow for me but I went ahead and had BG set it and I’ve been happily wearing it for 2 and a half years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results